Next trade for the Leafs.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I just don't see where Bozak fits with another organization unless there is some organization deceived by his 1st line production. While I can see a team taking a flyer on Lupul, the Leafs would need to retain salary or take a bad contract to make it work for the oft-injured player. There has to be a market for Phaneuf but again with some salary shaving. Teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Philadelphia are undoubtedly in the market for a defenseman like Phaneuf. There are lots of contracts to take back from Philly to make a deal work. Phaneuf for Andy MacDonald (Flyers retain 40%) plus pick(s)/prospect(s).

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm counting the Leafs at 49 contracts now. There are two that come off the books in the regular season (Andreas Johnson and Cody Donaghey) making it 47. I see Frattin (1 way 800k) and Devane as completely disposable contracts if they need to make room. Perhaps 1 of the minor league goalies (Gibson, Sparks and Bibeau).

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Anaheim currently has the 4th lowest Cap hit with over $18 mil in free cap space and their team in primed for a Cup run. They even have more Cap space then the Leafs at present which have +$14 mil.

Phaneuf would fit well here and they do have some young prospects that would interest the Leafs without question including Shea Theodore.

With Nonis now on board who gave Dion that contract as a senior adviser that might also increase the potential for a trade.

I agree here.
I really think Shanahan is just being cautious and slow with the deal for Phaneuf...and Anaheim is a great fit, sure. But I think quite a few teams could use him, and it's only smart business for us to be patient and get full value. At any rate, Phaneuf, if he starts the season with the Leafs, won't hurt us terribly in terms of Babcock's required level of effort and defensive acumen. And he'd be a stabiliser, at least until the deadline.

For me trying to read Babcock and the management team's minds however, Bozak and Lupul must be gone before camp (same as Kessel). That's my prediction...and if no one wants Lupul, he could be a buyout even.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I agree here.
I really think Shanahan is just being cautious and slow with the deal for Phaneuf...and Anaheim is a great fit, sure. But I think quite a few teams could use him, and it's only smart business for us to be patient and get full value. At any rate, Phaneuf, if he starts the season with the Leafs, won't hurt us terribly in terms of Babcock's required level of effort and defensive acumen. And he'd be a stabiliser, at least until the deadline.

For me trying to read Babcock and the management team's minds however, Bozak and Lupul must be gone before camp (same as Kessel). That's my prediction...and if no one wants Lupul, he could be a buyout even.

I agree with this. I think that given the weak sellers market this off-season and a lack of buyers at this time there isn't a rush to trade Phaneuf. Additionally I wonder if management thinks they can bolster Phaneuf's value by showing the league that in a good team structured system that Babcock employs, that Phaneuf can be very effective and a good player. Finally I doubt they'll want to retain any salary at this rate given the Kessel trade which does make it harder to move (they'll need to find a suitor with a contract going the other way).

All in all it may be another year before we see Phaneuf traded but I think he'll be openly available throughout next season and dealt if the right trade comes along.

I'd be interested to see what the market for Lupul is right now but I doubt it's barely alive. Seems like scoring wingers are cheaper to find in UFA this year and Lupus's contract does make it more difficult. Personally I think he's the last core piece to be moved to the extent where it may not be until the last year of his contract.

Bozak I am hoping will be dealt soon .. He'd have the most value right now for teams looking for a centre on a fair contract. Free agency as set the benchmark for a top 9 centre right in Bozak's contract's range so there will be good value in a trade to be had.

I think it ranks Bozak, Phaneuf, Lupul in who we'll see moved eventually.

Wonder also what management is thinking about Gardiner too

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I agree that Bozak should be traded but then who plays center?

You cant have Nick Spaling centering the second line.

If they trade Bozak it would be a player trade and they'd need to get another center coming back. Basically buying time for Marner.

Spaling has at least shown that he can put up 30 points and play solid defensive hockey without a star offensive winger to prop him up, Bozak is yet to add that to his resume.

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
phaneuf or bozak is the next one gone

I dont know why everyone thinks babcock wants phaneuf to stay.. he wanted him on detroit because he believed dion phaneuf the player would help the wings shore up the D and become a legit contender, leafs are a whole new ballgame and phaneuf the person needs to go if a culture change is truly the goal

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Spaling has at least shown that he can put up 30 points and play solid defensive hockey without a star offensive winger to prop him up, Bozak is yet to add that to his resume.

Maybe Babcock can have a positive impact on Bozak especially without slacker Phil around.

I think they should be taking offers for him but it needs to be a player in return. Not just a second round pick.

Lupul should also be on the block. He's in decline and not a good fit for a young team.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
Play it steady with Phaneuf- and now that we've retained on Kessel I think they will be. I'd rather not be stuck with so much dead cap for so long.

There will be biters on Phaneuf. It's Bozak we need to work to sell, though I still se him hanging around until the deadline.

buttman*

What do you think the leafs next move will be? Phaneuf, Bozak, and Joffrey Lupul are the big names that are rumoured to be traded in this offseason. If these players were to be traded, what would the Leafs get in return?

Bozak...they have 6 enters right now.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
phaneuf or bozak is the next one gone

I dont know why everyone thinks babcock wants phaneuf to stay.. he wanted him on detroit because he believed dion phaneuf the player would help the wings shore up the D and become a legit contender, leafs are a whole new ballgame and phaneuf the person needs to go if a culture change is truly the goal

My theory on this is that the Leafs are pulling the opposite strategy that they did with Kessel where everyone knew the Leafs wanted him gone. Toronto is giving off the impression that they would be ok keeping Phaneuf in hopes of getting a better return for him then what is being offered. I expect Phaneuf will be traded, but I would not be surprised if it takes awhile for said move to be made.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I'll be happy with this blow it up offseason if we can at least get rid of Bozak. Don't mind keeping Lupul and Phaneuf for now. Bozaks gotta go.

Problem is, I can't think of one team in the league who wants/needs him, when there are/were cheaper options is free agency.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
My theory on this is that the Leafs are pulling the opposite strategy that they did with Kessel where everyone knew the Leafs wanted him gone. Toronto is giving off the impression that they would be ok keeping Phaneuf in hopes of getting a better return for him then what is being offered. I expect Phaneuf will be traded, but I would not be surprised if it takes awhile for said move to be made.

I'm betting Babcock wants Phaneuf to at the very least help insulate our youngsters.

People trash Phaneuf but he helps:

-insulate our youngsters from having to play tough minutes

-He defends his teammates and the Toronto team is soft as butter and will be losing our only Dman who plays with an edge in Polak soon enough. To people really want to see liberities taken on guys like Rielly, Marincin, Gardiner with no push back or having a situation we had in the past where a rookie like Luke Schenn is the only one defending his teammates?

-He also is extremely competitive which isn't a bad thing for youngsters to learn from

-He is a leader. He might not be the greatest captain but a lot of the issues with his leadership are cause of the Toronto fishbowl. Bobby Orr or Chris Pronger couldn't have led a team with Bozak as the 1st line center anywhere. He's the captain for a reason and we have no heir apparent

-Trade return would be awful on Phaneuf right now and we've got lots of space for him

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'll be happy with this blow it up offseason if we can at least get rid of Bozak. Don't mind keeping Lupul and Phaneuf for now. Bozaks gotta go.

Problem is, I can't think of one team in the league who wants/needs him, when there are/were cheaper options is free agency.

I'm guessing management wants him gone as well but we're likely better to deal him once the season starts because injuries start happening, an underperforming team could get desperate cause of playoff chances, teams see prospects aren't ready and teams start accumulating cap space.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Boys all getting back together up north, time to get some things done. Acquisitions, Phaneuff & Bozak traded would be nice.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The fact is there are no offers.

Detroit really didn't offer anything and we had to eat Weiss to get the deal done. After what we got for Kessel we can't just throw him away and we certainly can afford to keep until TD.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
What do you think the leafs next move will be? Phaneuf, Bozak, and Joffrey Lupul are the big names that are rumoured to be traded in this offseason. If these players were to be traded, what would the Leafs get in return?

I think Bozak goes....but that's it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Detroit really didn't offer anything and we had to eat Weiss to get the deal done. After what we got for Kessel we can't just throw him away and we certainly can afford to keep until TD.

the 7 million dollar fraud won't be moved during the season , that term and cap hit is a off season trade

I think we are stuck with lups for now, injury prone and cap hit/term , pretty much make him a buyout candidate for other teams.

bozo AKA Butters just might be moved during season, if a team takes a " troubling injury" up the middle. Best I can tell no one is looking for a tweener C right now.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I am really really hoping we move both Bozak and Phaneuf before the start of the season.

Keep Lupul and hope he can stay healthy, he'll be a valuable asset come trade deadline with a good chunk of that salary paid for by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad