Next trade for the Leafs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bozak is likely the easiest to move, relatively speaking, so I predict he will be next. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anybody will take Phaneuf off our hands for a while, if ever, and Lupul is no big deal one way or the other.

Lupul is that guy everyone wants to love but just can't because he isn't around enough. I don't know of a guy who has had so many soft injuries. Boggles the mind really.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Do you think keeping these guys makes any difference?

4th. worst team in the league with Kessel.

Do you believe they can be better without him?

We also finished bottom 10 the year prior.

We also lost Franson + Santorelli at the deadline who were valuable for us last season.

None of our very top guys like Bozak, Phaneuf, Kadri, Kessel, JVR or Franson/Santo missed a significant chunk of time due to injuries last season.

Lupul did miss a good chunk of time but that's just a regular season for him. Then we go further down the depth chart to guys like Polak + Komarov.

I'd be very surprised if we aren't a bottom 5 team next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The 3 most logical choices would be one of Bozak, Lupul or Phaneuf however for contract and play reasons those are tough moves. Ideally all three are moved out but ...

I personally would like to see Grandpa smurf Robidas moved out and a roster spot created for a young player on the roster like Percy or Granberg or Marincin etc.

With Phaneuf, Hunwick, Gardiner, Rielly, Polak & Robidas locked down and with UFA interest in perhaps bringing back Franson this isn't the position of a "rebuilding team on youth".

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
That's kind of the thing... I don't see this as a bottom 10 team, not a lock for one of the worst in the league anyway. On the cusp? Maybe, but looking at another non-top 3 pick.

If the Leafs were looking to give themselves a real shot at a high pick they would need to move out Phaneuf, Bernier, and Bozak. Say what you will about those players, but they belong in the NHL and will only win you games while possibly not being part of the team in 3-5 years.

So the ideal is not to tank a la Buffalo but not shoot themselves in the foot by icing a lineup you know won't contend but has "decent" players that will keep the ship from going under in the short term but who would not be part of the Leafs' long term plans/choose to move on soon anyway.

That's kind of how the poor Leafs teams of the past few years have been and there's not much sense repeating history. That is if the Leafs intend to actually rebuild. They might have a "hybrid rebuild" in mind and be thinking playoffs next season if at all possible (wait, wasn't that how Burke drew it up?).

I would say Phaneuf is the guy you prioritize moving though. I like him overall and I think he'd be a great fit on the Kings, but it's certainly time he moved on from Toronto.

I don't know how you can make the case we aren't a lock to be a bottom 10 team.

Gone from last year is Kessel, Franson and Santorelli.

Compare what's going on with us to the other bottom 10 teams from last year in Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton, Carolina, New Jersey, Philly, San Jose, Columbus, Colorado, Florida and it looks very bleak for us.

I'm predicting we battle it out with Arizona for worst team and possibly also New Jersey if anything happens to Schneider. NJ finished 6th last despite a Vezina level season from Schneider. They truly are a terrible team just like us except they've got an elite goalie.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
I hope they move Bozak. I think he puts up a 15/20 season without Kessel and that likely hurts his value. There has to be a team out there with a tired 2nd line center on an expiring contract that they'll flip with a mid round pick for Bozak.

CalgaryLeaf*

I wonder if Anaheim would trade Nick Ritchie for Phaneuf straight up?..They could use another D-man.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The way I see it, the leafs have three groups that could be traded..

Most likely to be traded before the season......
Bozak

Possible...but difficult to find a trading partner...
Phaneuf, Lupul, Reimer

Rest of the team except Rielly might be included to bring back a better asset...
Especially...JVR, Kadri, Gardiner

member 147413

Hopefully Lupul, Bozak and Phaneuf are moved... That would be a hilariously bad roster and IMO Kadri will have a great year playing in a more prominent role with more offensive opportunities.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Phaneuf should be the most auctioned player on the Leafs.

He's a 1st. pairing number 2 defender and should have the biggest impact on the Leafs draft position.

van Riemsdyk is their only 1st. liner who should negatively impact the draft position.

After that it is difficult to see who is capable of negatively impacting the draft position.

If this is a rebuild, Phaneuf should be gone 1st.

2nd. and 3rd. liners are just placeholders until the talent in the minors is ready to be promoted.

Leafs are a team of depth, secondary and tertiary players so who cares if they are moved.

Leafs are in a holding pattern for the next couple of seasons.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Should try and move Gardiner and Lupul. Just take whatever you can get for these 2 just to ship them out. Lupul is not a guy that you want to keep around for a rebuild but he might be unmovable. Gardiner will become unmovable after this year because he's awful and is laughably soft. JVR might be another guy you'd look to move for a good package.

Not sure what the next trade will be, but JVR will go at some point next year and we will fleece some team.

...and we gave up on Stralman in a similar fashion, and not too different an age, and look how that turned out. Gardiner at times has looked like our best D, and then I agree, not so good at other times. You don't need to destroy people with checks to be an effective D in this NHL.

Lupul isn't getting moved, because he is more valuable in the lineup then whatever we could get, which is likely nothing.

Bozak or Phaneuf are the most likely to be moved next.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I agree that Bozak should be traded but then who plays center?

You cant have Nick Spaling centering the second line.

If they trade Bozak it would be a player trade and they'd need to get another center coming back. Basically buying time for Marner.

CalgaryLeaf*

Phaneuf should be the most auctioned player on the Leafs.

He's a 1st. pairing number 2 defender and should have the biggest impact on the Leafs draft position.

van Riemsdyk is their only 1st. liner who should negatively impact the draft position.

After that it is difficult to see who is capable of negatively impacting the draft position.

If this is a rebuild, Phaneuf should be gone 1st.

2nd. and 3rd. liners are just placeholders until the talent in the minors is ready to be promoted.

Leafs are a team of depth, secondary and tertiary players so who cares if they are moved.

Leafs are in a holding pattern for the next couple of seasons.

He's really not a first pairing #2 d-man...Phaneuf is a 3-4 with a ridiculous 7m/year contract...To make a hockey deal and get back a quality prospect they'll have to assume 1.5M-2M a year of his salary IMO.

The less the Leafs assume of Dion's salary the less coming back in a trade.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Anaheim currently has the 4th lowest Cap hit with over $18 mil in free cap space and their team in primed for a Cup run. They even have more Cap space then the Leafs at present which have +$14 mil.

Phaneuf would fit well here and they do have some young prospects that would interest the Leafs without question including Shea Theodore.

With Nonis now on board who gave Dion that contract as a senior adviser that might also increase the potential for a trade.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Anaheim currently has the 4th lowest Cap hit with over $18 mil in free cap space and their team in primed for a Cup run. They even have more Cap space then the Leafs at present which have +$14 mil.

Phaneuf would fit well here and they do have some young prospects that would interest the Leafs without question including Shea Theodore.

With Nonis now on board who gave Dion that contract as a senior adviser that might also increase the potential for a trade.

Not sure people make the same mistake twice.

Burke wouldn't bite on Kessel, so would Nonis bite on Phaneuf?

It might be easier in season.

Phaneuf isn't a rental, and teams might want to know they're in it before dealing picks/prospects.

A contender could decide (like Leafs did in 2004) that the time is right to shoot their bolt.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Phaneuf to Anaheim makes a lot of sense.

I don't know if they're that interested though haha

They'd probably want to send back a cap dump like Stoner, I'd think.

I've always thought that JvR next on that top line would be unstoppable. I'd expect a kings ransom from that team for him, though.

What's Dallas' cap situation? You'd think they'd need Phaneuf, with maybe Hemsky coming back as a cap dump.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I saw on LeafsTV Dubas talking about the Kessel trade and he said Spaling is a guy who's played center before and will with Leafs. So with Kadri - Holland down the middle and Carrick most likely to get the 4C spot I'd think they are trying to move Bozak more then anyone.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

If they trade Bozak it would be a player trade and they'd need to get another center coming back. Basically buying time for Marner.

Kadri, Holland, Spaling, Arcobello

Carrick could also play 4th line C.

Winnik and Komorov can play C also.

I would go with something like:

Lupul - Kadri - xxxxx
JVR - Holland - xxxxx
Komorov/Winnik - Bozak/Spaling - xxxxx

Depends if we want to move Lupul to RW. There's also the possibility of Nylander making the team who might play LW also.

We've got too many players right now IMO. No room for guys like Frattin and Percy. We could move out Bozak, JVR, and Polak and still have enough quality NHL ready players to fill out our roster.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Arcobello is also a center.
Played 2nd line center for Arizona after they acquired him.
Worked out pretty well for them in the same mold we should be in.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I saw on LeafsTV Dubas talking about the Kessel trade and he said Spaling is a guy who's played center before and will with Leafs. So with Kadri - Holland down the middle and Carrick most likely to get the 4C spot I'd think they are trying to move Bozak more then anyone.

I think that Dubas, being an analytics guy and all, is probably pushing hard to trade him. I really really hope Bozak goes before training camp starts. Can't stand the guy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think that Dubas, being an analytics guy and all, is probably pushing hard to trade him. I really really hope Bozak goes before training camp starts. Can't stand the guy

Actually Bozak is Leafs best faceoff man and that might be a reason that he is not being pushed out the door as much as some people think.

I'm okay with all of Bozie, Lupul and Dion gone before camp but not holding my breath on those.

Bozie was attached at the hip to Kessel so perhaps with Kessel traded we see a different Bozak if he stays.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
Well that's why I think they won't. He's getting older, is injured a lot and makes too much to justify for 3 more years.

Can't imagine anyone would be interested.

Yeah the same concerns that folks have about Lupal apply to Skinner as well. Durability.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada

Hmmm ... it was signings like Dion & Phil's that got Nonis fired so I doubt that occurs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00