Next team to win their first cup

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Ill go with the safe bet and say Kraken. VGK where underdogs in 2017 and nearly destroyed the league.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I like Florida, Winnipeg, Las Vegas, and Vancouver
Arizona might get Bedard and sneak one in though

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Which of theses teams will win their first cup next?

Team Founded SC Finals Appearances
Buffalo Sabres 1970-71 1975, 1999
Vancouver Canucks 1970-71 1982, 1994, 2011
Arizona Coyotes 1979-80 ---
San Jose Sharks 1991-92 2016
Florida Panthers 1993-94 1996
Nashville Predators 1998-99 2017
Winnipeg Jets 1999-00 ---
Minnesota Wild 2000-01 ---
Columbus Blue Jackets 2000-01 ---
Vegas Golden Knights 2017-18 2018
Seattle Kraken 2021-22 ---

Buffalo.... will get both Wright AND Michkov on top of Dahlin, Power, Cozens...theyll win by 2027

ALmost every Cup winner was a bottom feeder for 5+ years. Only exceptions in the past 10 years was STL.

TB, WSH, PIT, CHI, LA all stockpiled high picks

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
After reading this, al I have to say In Zito I Trust.

The rest are kind of lost. Either talent or solid front office but not really both.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The worst one on this list is the Yotes because they were another team before their move that never won the Cup either as the original Jets. That's a suck on a whole different level.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
In these cases you might be tempted to just pick the closest to a cup today, but I disagree with that. You should be allowed to say an awful team like Buffalo just because the current best teams of this class cant beat the best of the cup winners like Tampa, Colorado, Washington, Islanders.

However, I do think a real cup contender had emerged. Florida. With their leap forward last season, and great offseason, and Tampa's bad offseason, I like their odds. The team will do it for Barkov's legacy.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Buffalo.... will get both Wright AND Michkov on top of Dahlin, Power, Cozens...theyll win by 2027

They're not gonna get Wright and Michkov. They're incredibly lucky they got Dahlin and Power within 4 years. I mean if they get Wright, it kinda ensures they don't draft Michkov the next year.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I would have to say I think it's the Columbus Blue Jackets. Apparently the Jackets are close to trading Max Domi for a super good centreman such as Brock Nelson or Barkov. Very exciting stuff.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
They're not gonna get Wright and Michkov. They're incredibly lucky they got Dahlin and Power within 4 years. I mean if they get Wright, it kinda ensures they don't draft Michkov the next year.
well if they can be a lottery team after getting Eichel an Dahlin, they can do so with Wright in his rookie season (assuming Eichel is gone).

PIT got Crosby and Staal (Malkin was lockout year), WSH got OVie and Backstrom, CHI got Toews and Kane, TB got Stamkos and Hedman, EDM got Hall, RNH, Yakupov, McDavid, Drai, etc etc

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
While Florida has turned a corner I am hesitant to pick them simply because of how strong their division is. That’s a very hard path the trudge through. Could they do it? Sure. But taking a betting mans mind set it wouldn’t be my first choice.

Vegas is an obvious answer so I’ll skip them as other posters have drilled that home. Im going to go with Minnesota. If they can figure out this current contract issue, and add a couple pieces over the next year or so which they could do, they have all their picks except for a 7th rounder next draft, for the next 3 years. They could pick with them all, or use some of the draft capital to tweak and add to the team. If they do it right, that team is going to make a strong push out of the West.

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
In these cases you might be tempted to just pick the closest to a cup today, but I disagree with that. You should be allowed to say an awful team like Buffalo just because the current best teams of this class cant beat the best of the cup winners like Tampa, Colorado, Washington, Islanders.

However, I do think a real cup contender had emerged. Florida. With their leap forward last season, and great offseason, and Tampa's bad offseason, I like their odds. The team will do it for Barkov's legacy.
Tampa had far from a "bad" offseason given their position. The team knew they were losing depth, so it's no big surprise to see the 3rd line gone(Gourde being the one exception, but Brisebois valued keeping one of the top d corps together more). Florida has a better bottom 6 based on projected line ups right now, which is fine, but Tampa still has a better and much more proven top 6, defense and goaltender. Florida is much improved and a legit contender, but their path is more difficult than a couple other teams in this category(Vegas for sure with the weak looking Pacific). For the next 1-3 years it seems Vegas, Winnipeg and Florida(possibly Minnesota if they can make a move or two) likely have the best shot though of breaking through, after that, harder to say based on prospects/draft results.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Ill go with the safe bet and say Kraken. VGK where underdogs in 2017 and nearly destroyed the league.
chances of that happening 2 expansion teams in a row is just about 0

Not saying theyll be terrible, but no way will they make the SCF.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Tampa had far from a "bad" offseason given their position. The team knew they were losing depth, so it's no big surprise to see the 3rd line gone(Gourde being the one exception, but Brisebois valued keeping one of the top d corps together more). Florida has a better bottom 6 based on projected line ups right now, which is fine, but Tampa still has a better and much more proven top 6, defense and goaltender. Florida is much improved and a legit contender, but their path is more difficult than a couple other teams in this category(Vegas for sure with the weak looking Pacific). For the next 1-3 years it seems Vegas, Winnipeg and Florida(possibly Minnesota if they can make a move or two) likely have the best shot though of breaking through, after that, harder to say based on prospects/draft results.
I'm not saying "bad considering their position". I just mean bad. They did as good as they probably could but at the end of the day they lost important pieces from their cup runs.
That's a reason why Florida might have a decent chance at a cup

Reactions: Husqvarna

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
While Florida has turned a corner I am hesitant to pick them simply because of how strong their division is. That’s a very hard path the trudge through. Could they do it? Sure. But taking a betting mans mind set it wouldn’t be my first choice.

Vegas is an obvious answer so I’ll skip them as other posters have drilled that home. Im going to go with Minnesota. If they can figure out this current contract issue, and add a couple pieces over the next year or so which they could do, they have all their picks except for a 7th rounder next draft, for the next 3 years. They could pick with them all, or use some of the draft capital to tweak and add to the team. If they do it right, that team is going to make a strong push out of the West.

I have Florida as the team closest to the cup but you make a good point about the divison. I have Vegas as the 2nd closest but they have a relatively easy division, but I still ultimately consider them paper tigers until they can find a premier #1 center.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Vegas is still a cup favorite going into next year. So easy pick. I am also for throwing in the leafs into this discussion. Never won a cup since before original expansion which is longer than most teams on this list have been in existence. Last playoff series win was 2004!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00