Next season's "Rookies" to possibly make the team!

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Gaunce should be a regular now. He'll be Prust's replacement next year for sure, if he doesn't find a full time job this year. I think next year, the team needs to relax a bit on the youngsters. Need to make sure the kids are developing properly. Unless a kid blows us away, you have to take it easy and give the current youngsters. Things are going smoothly now, but there will be struggles in the future and that's where you need some leadership to guide the kids in the right direction so they don't fizzle out and get lost. You can't have too many kids in the lineup. While, it'll be entertaining/fun to watch. Look what happened to Edmonton up until they got McDavid. Everything was going wrong.

Plus, If the rumors are true that Lucic is going to sign in Vancouver. I like Lucic but the guy is undisciplined and his bad attitude can spread to the kids. This is something the team needs to be careful with. Hopefully the Twins are showing the kids how to play the game the right way, and it'll stick to the kids.

Gaunce, Hutton, Horvat seem like great character kids but there are kids on the team that could really pull a Kesler and we don't want to see that.

Also, there comes a point when they are given expectations. Horvat as likable is he is, as a 2nd line center, is clearly under producing. It's okay for now, but 3-4 years from now. It won't be as acceptable. I fully expect McCann and Hutton to have a sophomore slump next season when they are given proper roles and bigger expectations.

Last edited:

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Gaunce and Shinkaruk are the 2 guys that has a good chance, Gaunce is probably ready now.

Pedan might have a chance ut needs to be better in the defensive zone, might be kept up because of waiver status.

If Boeser leaves school he is a wild card.

Cassels, Subban might be call ups next year.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Gaunce should be a regular now. He'll be Prust's replacement next year for sure, if he doesn't find a full time job this year. I think next year, the team needs to relax a bit on the youngsters. Need to make sure the kids are developing properly. Unless a kid blows us away, you have to take it easy and give the current youngsters. Things are going smoothly now, but there will be struggles in the future and that's where you need some leadership to guide the kids in the right direction so they don't fizzle out and get lost. You can't have too many kids in the lineup. While, it'll be entertaining/fun to watch. Look what happened to Edmonton up until they got McDavid. Everything was going wrong.

Plus, If the rumors are true that Lucic is going to sign in Vancouver. I like Lucic but the guy is undisciplined and his bad attitude can spread to the kids. This is something the team needs to be careful with. Hopefully the Twins are showing the kids how to play the game the right way, and it'll stick to the kids.

Gaunce, Hutton, Horvat seem like great character kids but there are kids on the team that could really pull a Kesler and we don't want to see that.

Also, there comes a point when they are given expectations. Horvat as likable is he is, as a 2nd line center, is clearly under producing. It's okay for now, but 3-4 years from now. It won't be as acceptable. I fully expect McCann and Hutton to have a sophomore slump next season when they are given proper roles and bigger expectations.

I don't get the bad attitude comments on lucic, I think he doesn't like to lose and is super competitive that's not a bad thing. From what I've heard he's a great locker room guy.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Brendan Gaunce should be the front runner, if he's not already a regular by the end of this season.

Shinkaruk, Pedan and Subban need to exhibit consistency at the AHL level before they can enter the discussion. Demko and Boeser might be our best prospects in the pipeline, but both have more collegiate hockey ahead of them, and will likely need some AHL seasoning upon completing that.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think we'll see any teenagers next year as Virtanen and Horvat had the physical frame to play and McCann just made it impossible to send him back to junior.
Gaunce should make it if he doesn't make it this year. And Shinkaruk will likely make it if he keeps up his play that he has shown so far.
I doubt we see any regulars on defense although Pedan likely gets a call up or two and Biega could slot in for Weber.
Subban and Cassels still look like they have a lot of work to do before they get a call up and Boeser and Demko likely stay in college.
Jensen is a bit of a wildcard as well. Hopefully he can develop into a decent bottom six guy but time is running out with others passing him on the depth chart.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
This is Pedans last year being waiver exempt, so ready or not I expect he'll at least be the 7th D.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Yup, this perception comes from fans not teammates.

Most people's perception of Lucic is based on the altercation at a Granville Street bar and his comments towards Weise in the playoffs. I don't like what he said to Weise, pretty unclassy and unsportsmanlike, but I can't deny he's still one of the best power forwards in the game today.

In terms of being a teammate though, I think he'd be a positive impact for Virtanen and the kids. He's never had disciplinary action or any problems with his own teams, so I don't think there's anything to worry about. Like he's never come to camp overweight or lacking conditioning, etc.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Gaunce for sure. Shinkaruk if he has a breakout AHL season and a strong camp. Pedan is waiver eligible next year so I bet he makes the team. I have a feeling they'll be extra patient with Subban so unless he really forces their hand, I suspect they plan for him to be in the AHL again next year again.

Boeser, Demko and the 2016 1st rounder(assuming it's not a top 5 pick) won't be ready.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Pedan cuz of waivers.
Gaunce will probably finish the season on the big squad.
Shink should see some games this season and needs to be knocking on the door next season.
Kenins should have a full time 4th line spot.
Boeser I think is encouraged to stay another season at school just to spread the youthout. Or brought in for Utica.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I don't get the bad attitude comments on lucic, I think he doesn't like to lose and is super competitive that's not a bad thing. From what I've heard he's a great locker room guy.

It's how he played the game in the last couple years in Boston. That whole team was a mess, and everyone saw that they were gonna get blown up, which they were. Lucic and Marchand were both undisciplined, spoiled, whiny, terrible sportsmanship players. Anyone who watched them play knew that. Just a few years ago, both of them were having a bad game and needed Scott Thornton out of all people to hug it out, literally on the bench, just to calm those two down. It was one of the most embarrassing moments in hockey.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive, but when Lucic is going to be getting paid the big bucks. You expect a leader out of him, not a guy that can't keep his emotions in check. It will absolutely rub on the kids the wrong way. Virtanen especially, who might be limited in terms of offensively. You don't want him to start gooning it up every time things don't go right.

Last edited:

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
It's how he played the game in the last couple years in Boston. That whole team was a mess, and everyone saw that they were gonna get blown up, which they were. Lucic and Marchand were both undisciplined, spoiled, whiny, terrible sportsmanship players. Anyone who watched them play knew that. Just a few years ago, both of them were having a bad game and needed Scott Thornton out of all people to hug it out, literally on the bench, just to calm those two down. It was one of the most embarrassing moments in hockey.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive, but when Lucic is going to be getting paid the big bucks. You expect a leader out of him, not a guy that can't keep his emotions in check. It will absolutely rub on the kids the wrong way. Virtanen especially, who might be limited in terms of offensively. You don't want him to start gooning it up.

There's a fine line that I would say the sedins are on the other side of the spectrum compared to lucic, I honestly think with him here with the sedins it'll be nice blend of the two. Also who better than lucic to play with those two I think he would open a bunch of space for them.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It would really help Gaunce's chances if they convert him back to centre in my opinion. For next year anyway. Assuming we move on from Vrbata and Higgins, and Baertschi sticks, this is what I could see next year if Shinkaruk and Gaunce both make it (I'm assuming Sutter gets prime playing time to make that contract worthwhile, not that I particularly agree with it).

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter
Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen
Burrows - McCann - Virtanen
Shinkaruk - Gaunce - Dorsett
Kenins

Defense is a bit trickier, my entire defense lineup relies on Hutton converting to the right side to play with Hamhuis. Hopefully Pedan-Biega overtake Sbisa-Weber. I think we are stuck with Sbisa because of his contract but hopefully Pedan makes him redundant.

Elder - Tanev
Hamuis - Hutton
Pedan - Biega (Subban if you are extremely optimistic)
Sbisa - Weber/Biega

Miller
Markstrom

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Pedan cuz of waivers.
Gaunce will probably finish the season on the big squad.
Shink should see some games this season and needs to be knocking on the door next season.
Kenins should have a full time 4th line spot.
Boeser I think is encouraged to stay another season at school just to spread the youthout. Or brought in for Utica.

I pretty much agree with this version. Wavers directly impact the Pedan situation, so unless
he totally craps the bed he won't be sent down after camp next year.

Demko will leave college on Schneider's schedule and join Utica, Boeser will stay at UND for
his sophomore season before leaving, and Subban will still be a Comet although likely to be called
up at times, like Shinkaruk this season. Cassels IMO will need two full years in Utica before he's
in the discussion for promotion, if at all.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Should make the team: Pedan (waivers), Gaunce (looks ready now)
Good shot to force their way on: Shinkaruk, Kenins (showed he could do it previously)

I think anyone else will have to be a revelation to make the roster.

In terms of roster spot competition, I think Vey has a decent shot of earning a spot on the roster too.

Cleared roster spots: Vrbata, Cracknell, Prust, Hamhuis, Bartkowski, Weber

Baertschi may play himself off the roster like Vey did this preseason (hopefully he earns his keep - the team could use him).

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Most of the posters are spot on with Gaunce, Pedan and my boy Kenins but I'd like to throw out my darkhorse candidate:

Mike Zalewski

He's got NHL wheels, a deceptive release on his wrister and he's built top heavy so he can lay the body on people in corners. If we make a long run in the playoffs he's gonna be the Oreskovich type callup.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Pedan.

Maybe Boeser. I love how we have the ability to send him down to the AHL, which we couldn't do with CHL prospects at his age.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think Gaunce will finish the year on the team as I think Prust gets traded no matter how well we're doing at the TDL.

Shinkaruk next year if he keeps it up. He'll either take Higgins or Baertshi's spot as I think it is possible at least one of them won't be on the team next season.

And there is of course Kenins who should be NHL material after he has some game time post-recovery.

On defense I think Pedan and Tryamkin get looks. Subban definitely has a shot and I could see his game maturing over the year. Obviously depends on how he finishes.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The more I look at the prospect pool, the more it looks like we're on the verge of a pretty substantial youth movement over the next year or two. Specifically amongst the forward group - which just so happens to be where the big club is by far the oldest, and will need to replace vets.

Pedan and Gaunce are probably close to locks, Kenins has already shown he can be a useful bottom 6 left winger and Shinkaruk/Boeser could make the jump as well.

Can't remember the last time the Canucks had this many viable young forward prospects. On defense, things look quite bit leaner. Wouldn't be surprised to see Benning go hard after a young, right side dman at some point before the start of next season. He already targeted Tyler Myers - will be interesting to see who's next on his list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad