Next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If there are no new cases and our borders are closed, we are fine. Further sanctions after that point is reached is fear for the sake of fear.

But our borders aren’t closed and haven’t been since this thing started. There are flights landing in this country every day from China and nobody gets checked at airports. Not even a temp check.

Then passengers are “trusted” to self isolate for 14 days.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
But our borders aren’t closed and haven’t been since this thing started. There are flights landing in this country every day from China and nobody gets checked at airports. Not even a temp check.

Then passengers are “trusted” to self isolate for 14 days.

They are “relatively” closed. Or at least nowhere near as open.

As mentioned previously, we do have the rapid test kit now. Of course, production will need to be ramped up on it so there will be some lead time but things are starting to look way more favourable.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
They are “relatively” closed. Or at least nowhere near as open.

As mentioned previously, we do have the rapid test kit now. Of course, production will need to be ramped up on it so there will be some lead time but things are starting to look way more favourable.

They maybe “relatively” closed. But that’s not good enough. And the fact we don’t test or quarantine incoming people from outside the country means there is no guarantee the virus won’t continue to be spread.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They maybe “relatively” closed. But that’s not good enough. And the fact we don’t test or quarantine incoming people from outside the country means there is no guarantee the virus won’t continue to be spread.

Spread the love! Not the Hate!
- Democrats

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Not necessarily. Special provisions can be made.
I mean you kinda need open borders considering Erie, Flint, and Saginaw are all apart of the league. Plus their fans and vice versa all travel to away games which helps boost the OHL economy. I don't think you can make exceptions for OHL hockey and not the rest of the world. Like, OHL hockey is great we all know, but it's not worth making exceptions over if they can't/don't open the border.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Not to mention the Euro players as well. Which can be curbed I guess for a season, but I think it's a great part of the league.

But yes players, staff, fans, family all need to be able to travel to and from freely for the league to be able to play.

Reactions: OttersFan and Otto

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
They will never let people assemble in large groups until a vaccine is in place - meaning we have all had it and the time it takes to be effective. They are saying 12 to 18 months. That puts the timeline to around December 2021. Not even sure how sports teams will fend for that long without any games being played. The world will never be the same in our lifetime - stay safe.

Unfortunately this is something that could cripple the CHL or at least delay it for sometime. Many different options are being considered depending on the outcome of all this but I can assure you that this league and the whole CHL is and will be put in a situation like no other.

Assuming that this situation does come to a conclusion we will see the CHL take major steps in health and safety measures what those steps will be will have to wait and see where everything goes but expect to see major changes to how the league operates in the very near future. Sports league's like the CHL will have to and will likely be creative in how things will be handled next season if there is such a season. If the timeline of 12-18 months is accurate then what will have to happen will be teams ownership groups and governors will have to find creative ways to make a profit. How they'll do that is truly up in the air right now but do not be surprised to see crowd control and other close human interaction to be stiffened in CHL rinks across the board.

The first logical thing that you'll see is that teams across the whole CHL will have to come up with some form or ticketing system that limits human interaction involving contact this is where I can see some form of digital ticketing system be mandated by the CHL in the coming years.

How that happens will depend upon how much time and effort the league puts into technology to make some form of E-Ticketing system in place. Yes there is and will be the debate that the majority of the OHL uses barcode scanners for tickets but they're still involving mass human contact. However is still believe that ushers and medical personnel will be on site for games there will be q system in place similar to automatic airport sign ins for admittance into sporting events especially in those major urban centres across the country.

As far as mass gatherings that's something that's sports league's will have to decide upon themselves on what th limits should and could be for any sports or entertainment event in multipurpose venues.

Reactions: three dog night

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
They will never let people assemble in large groups until a vaccine is in place - meaning we have all had it and the time it takes to be effective. They are saying 12 to 18 months. That puts the timeline to around December 2021. Not even sure how sports teams will fend for that long without any games being played. The world will never be the same in our lifetime - stay safe.

Well said. You first sentence sums it up. Some (here) have come up with all these possibilities, scenarios, etc. They need to stop. As a fan of most sports, not just hockey, these are hard times. In New York alone at least 1,500 are dying daily. FIFTEEN HUNDRED human lives. That's not including new cases on a daily basis. Hope that puts everything into perspective.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
We need to separate the CHL form PRO SPORTS.

Professional Sports that can be sustained by Television revenue will be able to play games very soon. By very soon, I mean the number of new cases (daily) is reduced dramatically...relatively zero.

With the help of the rapid testing and additional quarantine measure for the athletes, there is no reason why games could not be played in front of empty seats.

The article I posted states otherwise, with valid reasons given

Reactions: Iloveallsports

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
It is reasonable to assume if there are no new cases reported in Canada for two consecutive weeks, we are in the clear.

Can it resurface? YES. Should we hide in our houses for 2 years waiting in fear? NO.

If there are no new cases and our borders are closed, we are fine. Further sanctions after that point is reached is fear for the sake of fear.

You'd be accurate IF everyone were being tested.. but that's not the case. People can still have covid-19 and not display any symptoms, or have mild symptoms. Governments around the world were slow to react to this... they will be extra cautious before allowing something like large public gatherings to continue.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I mean you kinda need open borders considering Erie, Flint, and Saginaw are all apart of the league. Plus their fans and vice versa all travel to away games which helps boost the OHL economy. I don't think you can make exceptions for OHL hockey and not the rest of the world. Like, OHL hockey is great we all know, but it's not worth making exceptions over if they can't/don't open the border.

No, but exceptions are made for athletes all the time. There is no real difference between the Los Angeles Kings crossing the border to play the Toronto Maple Leafs in an empty building and Flint crossing the border to play London...other than one is a flight and the other is a bus.

Whatever provisions are made for Pro sports teams can be made for amateur sports teams in the CHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not to mention the Euro players as well. Which can be curbed I guess for a season, but I think it's a great part of the league.

But yes players, staff, fans, family all need to be able to travel to and from freely for the league to be able to play.

Actually, they don’t. Fans don’t need to travel, only the teams NEED to travel.

Reactions: MatthewsMoustache

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The article I posted states otherwise, with valid reasons given

It simply is not true. Professional Sports can be played with ZERO fans. There are European leagues already planning their return.

Rapid testing procedures are a game changer. Results in 30 minutes. Athletes and staff can be tested prior to entering the facility. Within a week or two, the athletes and required game day staff can be tested and everyone in the building can be deemed safe.

This is LOGICAL, not HYSTERICAL OVERREACTION for the sake of selling media.

If every person in a building can be tested, there is no reason why the games cannot be played once the regular society is somewhat back to relative normal...hypothetically July. In addition, strict quarantine will be required fr athletes and staff for the duration of these restrictions.

Of course, we cannot do it right away. First, the optics alone would be crazy bad. But, once we are on the downslope and new reported cases in the country are relatively low, I see no reason why we should hold up Professional Sports from playing to empty arenas.

As I stated, this doesn’t work for the CHL because the CHL needs fans for revenue. However, if the NHL deems it necessary for the CHL to continue operations, they may be willing to fund the league to ensure continued development.

As an aside, if the teams are playing in empty rinks (pro leagues), there is no need to travel much. You can have a rotation of about 6 rinks in a small, more safe state where infections are already low. It doesn’t even need to be NHL Arenas. Provided they can be set up for television coverage. The athletes can stay in Hotels that are strictly for their use only. No outsiders.

There are so many ways to tackle this if the games are played with no fans. To suggest otherwise is just obtuse.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You'd be accurate IF everyone were being tested.. but that's not the case. People can still have covid-19 and not display any symptoms, or have mild symptoms. Governments around the world were slow to react to this... they will be extra cautious before allowing something like large public gatherings to continue.

DUDE, maybe you haven’t heard but an Ottawa company called Spartan Bioscience developed a rapid test that provides results in 30 minutes. They simply swab your mouth. Health Canada approved the test for use. The Ottawa Hospital has already ordered product. It should be mass produced at least for Canadian distribution in a couple weeks.

Health Canada approves Spartan Bioscience’s portable COVID-19 test

This is a game changer. It allows the flexibility, under controlled environments, to be able to create safe zones if nothing else.

For hospitals, it allows a more accurate segregation of patients. For Professional Sports, it can result in 100% safe environment.

This clearly doesn’t address the issue of fan safety but it does allow for the ability to create the safe zones required.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Special provisions are made for healthcare workers crossing the border to work, and truck drivers transporting essential goods... they are not made for teenaged hockey players.

Are you suggesting that provisions cannot be made for athletes?

We have daily flights arriving in Canada from all over the World and you are suggesting athletes are where the country is going to draw the line? Come on. Be realistic.

Besides, as I already mentioned, constant border crossing for PRo Sports isn’t required anyway if the games are played in neutral sites in empty arenas.

Reactions: EvenSteven

shot caller

Apr 16, 2018
For and against can be argued clearly and with substance. That is the obvious. So, for argument sake, I guess both OMG and Otto are correct in their thinking.

However, I believe it truly comes down to financial stability. The government(s) in power will do their evaluations and make their respective accommodations when needed. Right now, this is fresh so there is some wiggle room in terms of a timeline.

Frankly, the government is not going to allow big business to collapse. We have seen that in the past with numerous bailouts and creative accounting that allows for a large entity (regardless of the sector) to continue. The implications that a prolonged shut down will have on an industry as large as pro/amateur sports is far reaching. These implications will result in a ripple that any government in power (municipal to federal) will take note of. The sectors that cannot be manipulated in order to sustain themselves have resulted in the government providing support directly to the out stretched hand. Meaning, the government cannot sustain (financially or structurally) small businesses or their employees so, the answer is to fund the outstretched hand directly.
In the matter of larger businesses or industries, the governments cannot simply write a cheque to all in order to alleviate the negative impact. All efforts will be made to allow for a continued product so that the governments in power will not be 100% responsible for keeping things afloat through financial contributions that, simply put, can be currently put to better use elsewhere.

This is the “stick handling” so to speak, that would result in an industry continuing (at some point) to avoid catastrophic circumstances that may lead to said business or industry from being able to bounce back.
I believe we are looking at a pause button and when safety concerns are mitigated to a level that still may produce risk but ultimately will allow for continuation, we will see measures taken that will allow for these industries to move forward. Otherwise, every day the government seems like they are being flagged by another group saying “hey, you can’t forget about us”. At which point does big business do this as well? The airlines will moat certainly be looking for this, tourism will be next and the list will continue to grow.

If the government can find a way to sustain a business or industry without providing financial support, they will be required to do just that. The bottom line is being stretched thinner and thinner so I’m certain we will approach a scenario where “support” will start to include accommodations rather than just a pay out.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For and against can be argued clearly and with substance. That is the obvious. So, for argument sake, I guess both OMG and Otto are correct in their thinking.

However, I believe it truly comes down to financial stability. The government(s) in power will do their evaluations and make their respective accommodations when needed. Right now, this is fresh so there is some wiggle room in terms of a timeline.

Frankly, the government is not going to allow big business to collapse. We have seen that in the past with numerous bailouts and creative accounting that allows for a large entity (regardless of the sector) to continue. The implications that a prolonged shut down will have on an industry as large as pro/amateur sports is far reaching. These implications will result in a ripple that any government in power (municipal to federal) will take note of. The sectors that cannot be manipulated in order to sustain themselves have resulted in the government providing support directly to the out stretched hand. Meaning, the government cannot sustain (financially or structurally) small businesses or their employees so, the answer is to fund the outstretched hand directly.
In the matter of larger businesses or industries, the governments cannot simply write a cheque to all in order to alleviate the negative impact. All efforts will be made to allow for a continued product so that the governments in power will not be 100% responsible for keeping things afloat through financial contributions that, simply put, can be currently put to better use elsewhere.

This is the “stick handling” so to speak, that would result in an industry continuing (at some point) to avoid catastrophic circumstances that may lead to said business or industry from being able to bounce back.
I believe we are looking at a pause button and when safety concerns are mitigated to a level that still may produce risk but ultimately will allow for continuation, we will see measures taken that will allow for these industries to move forward. Otherwise, every day the government seems like they are being flagged by another group saying “hey, you can’t forget about us”. At which point does big business do this as well? The airlines will moat certainly be looking for this, tourism will be next and the list will continue to grow.

If the government can find a way to sustain a business or industry without providing financial support, they will be required to do just that. The bottom line is being stretched thinner and thinner so I’m certain we will approach a scenario where “support” will start to include accommodations rather than just a pay out.

100% agree. Once we hit the downslope of new infections being reported, that is where the conversatiopns will meaningfully start to happen.

It is all well and good we have procedures in place for essential services but we also cannot sustain these procedures for long periods of time. You cannot have a business with a large square footage like Home Hardware servicing 3 people at a time. They'll close their doors and wait because the cost to open is more than the clost to close.

Reactions: shot caller

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Since, the CHL is not like a pro sports league where it can run on TV revenue I have an idea. The CHL creates its own live streaming service at the price of 300-500 dollars for all leagues and all games given these games will be played in front of no fans. If you only get the season ticket holders to pay you should have a sizeable pool of money to be able to share among teams. To further this you can get your own ad deals with companies and make a little bit more. The last thing that I'am proposing is that we run this like a similar system to the NFL for now until COVID is gone. How the NFL does it is that they share a certain percentage of revenue form merchandise to tickets (I know that we will not be attending the games so the online streaming service serves as tickets). Overall I still think we need our borders to be open to play so the American players and staff can get to games in Canada. So until our neighbours south of the border can get things under control I believe that we will not be playing for a very long time.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Since, the CHL is not like a pro sports league where it can run on TV revenue I have an idea. The CHL creates its own live streaming service at the price of 300-500 dollars for all leagues and all games given these games will be played in front of no fans. If you only get the season ticket holders to pay you should have a sizeable pool of money to be able to share among teams. To further this you can get your own ad deals with companies and make a little bit more. The last thing that I'am proposing is that we run this like a similar system to the NFL for now until COVID is gone. How the NFL does it is that they share a certain percentage of revenue form merchandise to tickets (I know that we will not be attending the games so the online streaming service serves as tickets). Overall I still think we need our borders to be open to play so the American players and staff can get to games in Canada. So until our neighbours south of the border can get things under control I believe that we will not be playing for a very long time.

Not a bad idea. The issue is they currently rely on local TV to provide the video stream. That is provided free locally. There may be an issue starting to charhe for the service and not have it showing on the local community TV. Not sure if Rogers, Cogeco, Eastlink and the like will do all the work for free.

I think the NHL will need to subsidize to some degree.

The other option could be more regional games on Sportsnet?

It all comes down to a marketing play. Can they find partnerships that can successfully market the brand differently than they have in the past? Also, are you breaking your current model making it easier to stay home and watch instead of going to the rink in the future?

Interesting ideas though. We need people thinking outside the box, that's for sure!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

some positive takeaways from this:

- to date, the largest amount of new cases in a day was 1600 on April 5. there was a slight climb back up to about 1300 on Easter Sunday which shouldn't be of surprise, but we had gotten to as low as 1000 new cases in a day just before that.

- 90% recovery rate in Canada based on 9000 solved cases (currently 17000 active)

- the recovery rate by day has been pretty consistently in the low-mid 90s except for a week around the end of March.

stay home if you can and hopefully the numbers keep trending in the right way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad