Next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I see no reason to force 3 in 3’s on teams unnecessarily. Sure, schedule as many games as possible but if you can get through a schedule via 3 in 4’s or 3 in 5’s, as well as a few 3 in 3’s, then do that. Nothing wrong with Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday games. If teams want a schedule like the Ottawa example above to address travel, just make the schedule makers aware of their desires.

If there is a shortened season, I agree that only playing games within your conference makes a ton of sense. Helps reduce travel. More 4 point games equals more meaningful games.

If the season is shortened to 48 games (example). We go with 6 games within the division (24) and 4 vs the rest of the conference (20). Add four rivalry games and you get your 48.

Reactions: three dog night

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'm sure that the CHL and the healthcare providers across the whole Canada and the United States will put a measures in place for all to be safe.

Until there a clear path to a safe conclusion for all next season among CHL member teams and fans alike next season will be at this point a distant thought. This is not saying that the season won't happen but that it will change how attendance numbers and sanitary conditions will be in all arenas/venues.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We will reach a point where there is a 2 week stint with no new infected in Canada. In Ontario, the last few days has seen a slow decrease in number of new cases as a percentage increase. Sometime this week, we will probably see a couple days where the number of reported cases will start to be lower than the previous day.

Provided we concentrate on the "hot spots" we should start seeing a significant reduction over the next 2-3 weeks of reported new cases. We just have to hope there is no significant spike in one small area of a big city.

If this rings true, things will begin to normalize around end of May. New case reportings will be much lower. We'll then start hearing the plans to start slowly reopening businesses in June-July.

Pro sports leagues will do their playoffs in empty buildings and collect their tv revenue over the course of the summer and early fall. There will be much less need for long training camps. Teams can run them while the playoffs continue and the teams that make it to the Final won't really need much of a camp considering they'll probably take 2 weeks and run right into the regular season.

Once we have a time frame, we'll have a sense of when the CHL season can start and they'll map out a plan. If it starts 2-3 weeks late, they'll just end the season 2-3 weeks later and do a normal schedule. If it starts upwards of 6 weeks late, then we'll see a reduction in games etc.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
We'll be lucky to see hockey in September. Let's not kid ourselves. It's all hope at this point.

The NFL is the big dog of sports. Bigtime money maker. They won't admit it but their season is in jeopardy.

They will be no sports until this situation is totally under control within Canada and U.S. and the world.

Buckle in, it could be a long one.

Last edited:

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I don’t see us playing in empty buildings. It won’t work financially.

The NHL can likely do something like this as they can fall back on TV deals. Also, there’d be an increase in pay per view or center ice type subscribers. The OHL doesn’t have the TV deals and the $$ that would come in via OHL live or the like would be negligible.

I see a delayed start to the season and depending on when the season would start, a reduced schedule.

However, if you listen to the likes of Trudeau, the league could be down for an indefinite period of time. He’s talking this thing (social distancing and other mitigating exercises) going on for a period of six to eighteen months. The “echoing” of the virus coming and going until a cure or antidote is found.

If this “new normal” lasts that long, the 20-21 season could be a wash.
Well said

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We'll be lucky to see hockey in September. Let's not kid ourselves. It's all hope at this point.

The NFL is the big dog of sports. Bigtime money maker. They won't admit it but their season is in jeopardy.

They will be no sports until this situation is totally under control within Canada and U.S. and the world.

And we’ll get no help from this federal government regarding a quick end to this situation.

LILLEY: Trudeau government needs to stop taking COVID orders from WHO

This is a very good article. It’s obvious that Trudeau is stalling any resolution to this problem.

As long as this government continues to conduct themselves in this manner, I don’t see the 20-21 season starting anytime soon.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

K2

Jun 11, 2015
This is a very good article. It’s obvious that Trudeau is stalling any resolution to this problem.

ES it's more of an anti-Trudeau political rant than good, solid journalism but that's The Sun's everyday MO. We're not notably supplicant to the WHO & Health Canada just approved a quick test device by Ottawa's Spartan Bioscience and ordered everything that they can produce, starting immediately, as did Ontario & Alberta. The Sun article's championed BTNX test is useless for early detection which is a major disadvantage & any false negative results early on are potentially disastrous.

The key to having a 2020-21 CHL season will essentially be the end of new cases along with a proven vaccine &/or treatment which is quite possibly up to 12 months away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buttsy and Otto

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

I don’t think using the NFL in this situation is really the best. NFL stadiums hold 80k + where the biggest OHL arena is what 10k? And there’s only three or four and the rest are 5k and below. The OHL is really going to depend on where Ontario, PA and Michigan are at by late summer. Our problem is that the GTA is most likely going to be the problem hotspot throughout this mess.

If the GTA can start to replicate the success places like Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton seem to be having we might be in the green sooner than later. Keep fingers crossed, wash your hands and stay home!

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
And we’ll get no help from this federal government regarding a quick end to this situation.

LILLEY: Trudeau government needs to stop taking COVID orders from WHO

As long as this government continues to conduct themselves in this manner, I don’t see the 20-21 season starting anytime soon.

Having listend to every Trudeau and Ford press conference for the last 4 weeks I have learned that Brian Lilley isn't capable of writing a "good article" I cringe every time he asks a question

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
They will never let people assemble in large groups until a vaccine is in place - meaning we have all had it and the time it takes to be effective. They are saying 12 to 18 months. That puts the timeline to around December 2021. Not even sure how sports teams will fend for that long without any games being played. The world will never be the same in our lifetime - stay safe.

Last edited:

imarriedawitch

Criticism ad nauseam is abuse.
Sep 22, 2013
London<>Las Vegas

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Having listend to every Trudeau and Ford press conference for the last 4 weeks I have learned that Brian Lilley isn't capable of writing a "good article" I cringe every time he asks a question

At least Lilley and the like will ask tough questions that most other media outlets won’t ask.

But I think we can leave the political squabbling to other forums. I say that understanding I was the one to first mention Trudeau today.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We need to separate the CHL form PRO SPORTS.

Professional Sports that can be sustained by Television revenue will be able to play games very soon. By very soon, I mean the number of new cases (daily) is reduced dramatically...relatively zero.

With the help of the rapid testing and additional quarantine measure for the athletes, there is no reason why games could not be played in front of empty seats.

With respect to the CHL, there is no way they will be able to play games in front of no fans. It is a gate driven league. So, unless the NHL wanted to subsidize the costs for the purpose of continuing to develop the talent, I cannot see the CHL operating until Arena Level events are approved. Who knows when that will be.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
the way I see it, there’s no OHL hockey until there’s a vaccine. all players, billets, team officials, etc. must provide proof of being vaccinated. as for fans, it’s going to be hard to regulate and enforce anything.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
the way I see it, there’s no OHL hockey until there’s a vaccine. all players, billets, team officials, etc. must provide proof of being vaccinated. as for fans, it’s going to be hard to regulate and enforce anything.

It is reasonable to assume if there are no new cases reported in Canada for two consecutive weeks, we are in the clear.

Can it resurface? YES. Should we hide in our houses for 2 years waiting in fear? NO.

If there are no new cases and our borders are closed, we are fine. Further sanctions after that point is reached is fear for the sake of fear.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Just the year we finally committed to season tickets instead of paying for all of them individually... just our luck!

But in all seriousness and way more importantly, everyone stay safe and hopefully we see some OHL hockey in the 2020-2021 season. Can't help but to feel bad for everyone involved.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
From a developmental standpoint, it will be tough to knock a season off the map. I think the NHL may supplement the leagues in an effort to at least get them playing. The ripple effect in development from shutting down a full season may cause a really big hole.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It is reasonable to assume if there are no new cases reported in Canada for two consecutive weeks, we are in the clear.

Can it resurface? YES. Should we hide in our houses for 2 years waiting in fear? NO.

If there are no new cases and our borders are closed, we are fine. Further sanctions after that point is reached is fear for the sake of fear.

I completely agree. I say that based on assumption of what the league will do.

if I were in charge, as soon as we start having no new cases for a solid period of time, I open the league up with fans. I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that no one is forcing you to attend games as a fan. there will obviously have to be restrictions on things that may have been allowed before to ensure that players and personnel aren’t infected (high fives before/after games, waiting after games for pictures and autographs, etc).

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

The media reports the number of new cases and the number of total cases. Nobody actually separates active cases and resolved cases because that takes away the fear narrative they push. Trudeau talked about a gradual lift of measures once cases come down but said no 100% normal until a vaccine. CBC did their word play and pushed that Trudeau said this is our new normal for 18 months when that wasn't at all what was said. No out of country travel is going to be the biggest new normal for most.

A repurposed drug or other viable treatment is what we need to get over the hump. A lot of people aren't going to have houses to hide in here soon.

Reactions: Truthking

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The media reports the number of new cases and the number of total cases. Nobody actually separates active cases and resolved cases because that takes away the fear narrative they push. Trudeau talked about a gradual lift of measures once cases come down but said no 100% normal until a vaccine. CBC did their word play and pushed that Trudeau said this is our new normal for 18 months when that wasn't at all what was said. No out of country travel is going to be the biggest new normal for most.

A repurposed drug or other viable treatment is what we need to get over the hump. A lot of people aren't going to have houses to hide in here soon.

New Normal is relative. Restrictions may be normal but not all the restrictions we have in place now. It’s not reasonable.

Closed borders and restrictions regarding leaving the country may need to be in place longer but even that would be somewhat overkill.

North America was last hit. IT is reasonable to assume we will also be the last to clear up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad