Speculation: Next season’s defence

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The numbers for Larsson’s deal in this thread are rediculous.

larsson will get 4x4 this summer.

one guy I’d be looking to add for cheap if Larsson walks is Jani Hankapaa. 6’5” 215lbs RHD who leads the league in hits. We could sign him for 2 x 1.5M. Plus it gives a finnish buddy for Pulju.

I'm also curious about Hankapaa but haven't really watched him play much. I'll try and watch the Ducks more prior to the end of the season as I'm also curious to get a look at Drysdale, Comtois, Jones, Steel and Zegras.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Are you assuming Seattle takes Lagesson? Because if not he's definitely a top 6 guy here.

I likely made that post before seeing Lagesson play well for an extended period of time. Unless he gets claimed IMO he's one of our 7 D next season.

Reactions: ujju2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They're going to cost, but my wish list would be Larsson, Nurse and Barrie for sure. After that, I really like Lagesson. The rest will have to play out.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'm also curious about Hankapaa but haven't really watched him play much. I'll try and watch the Ducks more prior to the end of the season as I'm also curious to get a look at Drysdale, Comtois, Jones, Steel and Zegras.

Hakanpaa is nothing special. He has an edge and skates well for his size. Moves the puck okay... might as well resign 4K.

I think all our young D are underrated offensively... at their puck moving ability.

If we are signing a FA D then it better be Barrie or an upgrade. No more bottom pairs please.

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
This offseason is time for Holland to go all-in and he knows it. I would imagine he probably has identified 3 areas of improvement that he's going to aggressively pursue:

- Top 6 D, preferably LD especially if Klefbom is done
- A true #1 goalie
- 1/2 LW

He has almost $26M in cap space and 14 contracts coming off the books. Its time to open the championship window. I imagine he spends about $14.45M re-upping Nugent-Hopkins, Kharia, Kahun, Haas, Yamamoto, Nygard/Shore which leaves about $11.55M to upgrade the positions above during free agency.

I don't think there's a #1 Goalie or a Winger available in free agency that would move the scales enough to justify spending big money.

So I present two potential solutions:

- Sign Dougie Hamilton - $9M x 8 years
- Re-sign Mike Smith - $1.25M x 1 year
- Trade Koskinen+1st+Marody to Arizona for Darcy Kuemper
- Hope that either Benson, Kahun, or McLeod can take the next step next season.
- Make a deal with Seattle to take Russell.

Benson- McDavid - Puljujarvi
Nugent-Hopkins- Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Kahun- Kharia - Kassian
Nygard/Shore - Haas - Archibald

Nurse - Hamilton
Jones/Bear - Bouchard
Lagesson/Samorukov - Bear
Russell

Kuemper
Smith

The second solution is if we decide Hamilton isn't worth it or our bid fails or he re-ups with CAR.

- Sign Ryan Murray $5M x 5 years.
- Trade Koskinen+1st+Marody to Arizona for Darcy Kuemper
- Trade Jones+ for Mantha or Sign Brandon Saad $6M x 5 years.
- Re-sign Larsson $3.5M x 3 years
- Make a deal with Seattle to take Neal.
- Re-sign Mike Smith or Sign Aaron Dell

Saad/Mantha - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Kahun/Benson - Kharia - Kassian
Nygard/Shore - Haas - Archibald

Nurse - Bear
Murray - Bouchard
Lagesson/Samorukov - Larsson
Russell

Kuemper
Smith/Dell

I know I expanded my post to cover the entire roster, but I feel like filling out or D isn't mutually exclusive and as a result the whole roster must be considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad