Speculation: Next season’s defence

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There’s a lot of directions they could go. Larsson and Barrie are pending. One of Jones or Lagesson are likely to be lost in the expansion draft. The only thing I feel is a lock is Nurse, Bear and Bouchard will be a part of it.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea there's... probably no way to guess. Lots of potential prospects, Klefbom up in the air, an expansion draft, and a bunch of cap space.

I will say that I don't think Holland will be too interested in adding more young guys to the lineup already unless he absolutely has to.

Reactions: MessierII

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Free agency, expansion and performance must be evaluated this season before a decision on who plays is made. Also any acquitions made between now and then will include an ask for one of our young d.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think we should resign Barrie 3 x $5M/yr.
We lose Jones at expansion draft.
Let Larsson walk or if wants to sign with us...$1.2M/yr. Personally I’d rather not re-sign him.

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Bear
Samorukov-Bouchard
(Larsson/KKK/Broberg)

We bury Russell for cap space. If Klefbom returns then Lagesson/Samorukov sit.

If there is a top pair D available.. trade Bear/Lagesson/Samorukov for a roster spot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nurse Bear
Ekholm Bouchard
Lagesson Larsson or UFA
Samo

Kuemper
Koskinen

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
My guess is Sammy will make the club too.
Lets see what we do with him this season once KHL playoffs are done for him. I think we may add him to the taxi squad to practice with big guys. Broberg should see AHL time after his season overseas since he hasnt played there yet.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think we should resign Barrie 3 x $5M/yr.
We lose Jones at expansion draft.
Let Larsson walk or if wants to sign with us...$1.2M/yr. Personally I’d rather not re-sign him.

Nurse-Barrie
Lagesson-Bear
Samorukov-Bouchard
(Larsson/KKK/Broberg)

We bury Russell for cap space. If Klefbom returns then Lagesson/Samorukov sit.

If there is a top pair D available.. trade Bear/Lagesson/Samorukov for a roster spot.
Personally as things stand right now I’d rather re sign Larsson for less than re sign Barrie for more and instead spend some money this summer bringing in a good veteran top 4 left d man like Martinez or Ryan Murray, assuming Klef can’t return. You need guys who can kill penalties. I’d rather see a lineup like

Nurse Bear
Martinez Bouchard
Lagesson Larsson

If Samurokov bulldozes his way in then he replaces Lagesson but I feel like relying on one of those guys to play top 4 minutes all year is crazy.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Too many variables.

Klefboms health
Barries FA status.
Larsson’s FA status.
Expansion draft loss.
Training camp D who bubble up.

Regardless the D that finish next year will be a lot different than the D who start next year given Holland’s propensity to start prospects in the minors and bring them up dependant on their play.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Too many variables.

Klefboms health
Barries FA status.
Larsson’s FA status.
Expansion draft loss.
Training camp D who bubble up.

Regardless the D that finish next year will be a lot different than the D who start next year given Holland’s propensity to start prospects in the minors and bring them up dependant on their play.

To me Samarukov already played a full season with the Condors and moved up as other got promoted and now has spent a full season in the KHL. He deserves a long look or even the 7th spot.

I think Klefbom’s done or at least done for another year.

I do hope Holland makes a big trade to acquire a top D and swap one our D for forward help.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Nurse - Barrie
Klefbom - Bear
Broberg - Bouchard

If klef is done then there's Jones, Sam, Lag, Russ, Slater.. tons of internal options.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A lot depends on Klebom's health of course and if Barrie can keep it up and is willing to re-sign at a 5-5.5M contract, so far I think it's a good fit for both sides.

Nurse-Barrie
Klefbom/FA signing-Bouchard
Lagesson/Samorukov/Jones-Bear

I'd be pretty comfortable with that going into next year. Leaves the door open for Samorukov or Broberg to push a roster spot or continue to develop. We have a nice mobile puck moving right side to go with a more steady left side. I'm not sure who might be available to replaced Klefbom if he's done on that 2nd pair, but I think it would be smart to spend some money there and on a goalie this summer.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think Ken Holland's shopping list priorities are a top minute defenseman and a number one goalie. Reducing goals and building from the back end is the hard, next step development required to move this into a surefire playoff team and cup contender.
  • Sounds like Dougie Hamilton wants to stay in Carolina but I don't buy he would be adverse to coming back to a Canadian market if he hits UFA. A prime year big skilled d-man he would make an imposing top unit d pairing with Nurse who would bring the tough, physical game within his maturing game.
  • Not ideal but second pairing might need Bouchard (or Bear) at LD and Bear (or Bouchard) at RD. We'll likely see how this pairing goes over the next little while but I think Bear can lead a second pairing d and Bouchard's upside and maturity might make it work.
  • I think Holland and Tippett's staff like Larssen and if he is open to a pay cut this would be a solid depth d guy whose mix is different leading a hard, physical defending game alongside one of Jones or Lagesson. He'll also be a future mentor for the next wave when they arrive, Broberg and Samaroukov.
  • A bit more pro seasoning might be needed but Broberg or Samaroukov could also jump the cue right to NHL jobs based on skill.
  • Sadly Klefbom's health is a big unknown.

Nurse Hamilton (fallback Barrie if affordable)
Bouchard Bear
Jones (or Lagesson) Larssen
Broberg and Samaroukov

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

That looks like a pretty nice top six.

Jury is way out on Klefbom though. If he is back, ideally you find a real good RD that plays top minutes with Nurse.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Oilers go big game hunting.

Nurse - Lindholm
Parayko - Bouchard
Lagesson - Bear

Flame away

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013

Nurse - Lindholm
Parayko - Bouchard
Lagesson - Bear

Flame away
Blues just lost Pietrangelo from the rigth side. Why would they move Parayko now and destroy their rigth side for good? They would probably want Draisaitl to even consider that. And Oilers aren't doing that.

I would stay away from Hampus Lindholm, he has regressed quite a bit and the ask would probably still be huge from Ducks.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

That looks like a pretty nice top six.

Jury is way out on Klefbom though. If he is back, ideally you find a real good RD that plays top minutes with Nurse.
... Not with Russell on there...
How about
William lagasson, samourukov or a Pilon ?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Way too many balls in the air right now to really make a good guess, but I would say Nurse, Bear and Bouchard are all locks. The rst will depend on performance the rest of this year (Lagesson, Jones), recovery from injury(Klefbom), ability to sign/extend(Larsson, Barrie), and ability to make the team (Broberg, Samukorov). I doubt KK will be back, as one of the kids will take his spot as a reserve. I think Russell is made available in the expansion draft, and if not taken, gets moved.

Reactions: Oilhawks

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
This will be my prediction for opening night D.

Nurse-Hamilton
Klefbom-Bear
Lagesson-Bouchard

Assuming that's the case,wouldn't you pair Klef-Hamilton and Nurse-Bear? Nurse and Bear are great together. I can't wait to see them reunited.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Nurse - Lindholm
Parayko - Bouchard
Lagesson - Bear

Flame away
Not going to flame but how the hell do we manage to get Lindholm AND Parayko? And at that point I think you'd have to go

Lindholm - Parayko
Nurse - Bear/Bouchard
Lagesson - Bouchard/Bear

Picking up two number 1 guys? Dare to dream, man haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad