Speculation: Next season’s defence

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Oilers have spent a lot of high drafts picks and development on dmen, so I think they feel pretty comfortable with the talent level and mix going forward. I doubt they go big game hunting now because of that. I think they want to make sure they get that stud 3rd line (unless Haas miraculously develops into one)centre, and for sure, the number one goalie.

The team has needs for sure but I would say that Bouchard, Samorukov and Broberg are the nucleus of a defense that might be around for a decade so I would be very wary of trading any of these guys for a relatively short fix in goal.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Do we want to re-sign all three of Larsson, Barrie and Koekkoek?

Larsson maybe depending on what else happens. I would not rule him out as a third pairing RHD.

Barrie will be too expensive. He is going to get a big deal.

Koekkoek. Maybe. Depends on what happens with expansion draft, Samurokov and Broberg.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
The team has needs for sure but I would say that Bouchard, Samorukov and Broberg are the nucleus of a defense that might be around for a decade so I would be very wary of trading any of these guys for a relatively short fix in goal.

You think the nucleus of the Oilers defense for the next decade is 2 guys who have never played an NHL game and another that has played a handful.

Hockey Futures taken to the extreme.

Reactions: barry halls

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You think the nucleus of the Oilers defense for the next decade is 2 guys who have never played an NHL game and another that has played a handful.

It scares me because there were quite a few that had Jones as a top 4 d-man this year and he's having issues getting into the lineup.

At least Bouchard is showing well, but it's still a stretch to know what he'll actually be for us.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I would say "extreme" are some of the solutions/trades to the goaltending problem that we see on the board. Nothing is for certain in the future but wrt the present the current Oiler defense has been inadequate and since we don't seem to do too well with FA's, these guys are the best bet.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Klefbom is back next season then I would re-up Barrie.
Klefa can just focus on defensive end and not get any PP time. 4.1M for a top 4Dman along with Bear making only making 2M would be a cheap but good D group.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Pass on KK for sure.
If Larsson asks for more than 2.5M per then walk away from him as well considering we have Russell signed already for next season.

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Barrie
Lagesson/Jones-Bouchard
Russell
Jones/Lagesson claimed by Seattle?
Samourkov

Broberg starting in AHL.

If Klefbom is a no go then 2nd pairing is wide open. The 2nd pairing LD would determine if we should keep Barrie around or not.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Your take. I think that Bouchard, Broberg, and Samurokov will definitely be part of the core defense in 2-3 years.
Would we be happy with a top 6 of:
Nurse-Bouchard
Samourkov-Barrie
Broberg-Bear

If not then should we be signing Barrie to a long term big money deal?

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Your take. I think that Bouchard, Broberg, and Samurokov will definitely be part of the core defense in 2-3 years.

They might.

Bouchard looks like he will definitely be an NHL player. But way too early to tell what his ceiling will be.

The other 2 nobody knows yet. They look to be developing OK, but they have not face NHL competition, nor the drag of an NHL season. Bouchard hasn't done this either.

You are wish-casting.

Reactions: barry halls

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Would we be happy with a top 6 of:
Nurse-Bouchard
Samourkov-Barrie
Broberg-Bear

If not then should we be signing Barrie to a long term big money deal?

In two years yes. This would be good I would expect. Although I see Barrie gone, Bear on second pairing, and some other LHD. I would not rule out Klef just yet.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
They might.

Bouchard looks like he will definitely be an NHL player. But way too early to tell what his ceiling will be.

The other 2 nobody knows yet. They look to be developing OK, but they have not face NHL competition, nor the drag of an NHL season. Bouchard hasn't done this either.

You are wish-casting.

I am the wish- caster.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Koekkoek is waiver fodder. Once Lagesson is healthy, I'd prefer to not see him on the starting roster moving forward. The only thing keeping him on the roster is his ability to kill penalties.

When it comes to Larsson or Barrie, it's far too early to make that decision. Klefbom's long-term health has a massive influence on how this defensive unit will look moving forward.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Like a lot of people I'm looking at

Barrie
Bear
Bouchard

and thinking that is not a smart way to construct the right side of the D group. If you're protecting a lead or taking a lot of D zone draws, which pairs are you putting out there? You need a couple pairs that can handle that and I think this right side puts the Oilers in a situation where they can't play low-event hockey when they want to.

Ideally you get Larsson or similar D-man signed (<$4m), and hope that Bear can improve his defense (it wasn't very good last year). And then pick one of Bouchard or Barrie. If you can get Barrie signed to a reasonable deal around $5m per, and get a great return on Bouchard (package for Gibson :D), that would be lovely.

It's great to have so many D prospects coming but the timing isn't great for the Oilers to break them in. I think one rookie per year out of your top six D is a reasonable amount. Anything beyond that and you are going to have them dragging on the team.

Here's one concept:

Nurse - Barrie
Klefbom - Bear
Samo/Bro/Lag - Larsson

That gives you the option of running Nurse - Larsson and another decent defensive pairing when protecting leads.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
How can anyone watch Barrie play this year and want to give him term and north of 5 mil per... absolutely shocking to me. Bouchard will easily replace his role on the PP and his production.

This is what I'd like to see:

Nurse - _____
Klefbom - Bouchard
_____ - Bear
_____

The spot beside Nurse will be impossible to fill, he needs a stabilizing partner, Bear is the backup option. Options for top pair are limited. So it's likely Barrie is given a franchise crippling deal.

The bottom pair spot with Bear will be an internal battle between Jones, Samorukov and Lagesson. One of Jones/Lagesson likely gone in expansion.

Extra spot likely goes to Russel, who we re-upped early for some reason?? I think that spot would be better filled through free agency, Koekkoek an option.

* I want to add that I want Nurse gone, but thats completely unrealistic and obviously no replacements... yet. I'm worried we let Nuge walk in order to give Darnell a gross contract.
Would be nice to see Hamilton next to Nurse on the right side

CarlWising

Jun 4, 2018
They might.

You are wish-casting.
Ik it’s not the same level as the NHL, but don’t underestimate the KHL and SHL. They’re great leagues

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bear might be trade bait for an upgrade in net. Especially if Barrie might stick around.

Nurse - Barrie
Klefbom - Bouchard
Broberg - Larsson (w/ pay cut)
Koekoek

Lagesson claimed by Seattle. Russell gets sent down.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bear might be trade bait for an upgrade in net. Especially if Barrie might stick around.

Nurse - Barrie
Klefbom - Bouchard
Broberg - Larsson (w/ pay cut)
Koekoek

Lagesson claimed by Seattle. Russell gets sent down.

No way you move Bear IMO. He's going to be a reliable middle-pair D for many years to come. I would sooner move on from Barrie than let Bear go as both Bear and Bouchard provide similar things and are cheaper and cost-controlled. Either way, you don't move a top4D for a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad