Speculation: Next season’s defence

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I would sign Hamilton long term if possible, if not give Barrie a three year deal with a decent raise.

We are probably going to lose Lagesson or Jones via expansion.

I want to say I would keep Larsson around on the cheap but I don't see him signing for 2.5 or less.

Next year:
Klefbom - Hamilton / Barrie
Nurse - Bear
Lagesson / Jones - Bouchard

Reactions: CarlWising

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would be fine burning our first on Ekholm.

Nurse-Barrie
Ekholm-Larsson
Russell/Bouchard-Bear

Might get us out of North into semis

Next year
Nurse-Bear
Ekholm-Bouchard
Klefbom-Larsson

Protect Bear, Nurse, Ekholm for expansion on D and hope for the best.

Reactions: majormajor
Feb 9, 2013
I would sign Hamilton long term if possible, if not give Barrie a three year deal with a decent raise.

We are probably going to lose Lagesson or Jones via expansion.

I want to say I would keep Larsson around on the cheap but I don't see him signing for 2.5 or less.

Next year:
Klefbom - Hamilton / Barrie
Nurse - Bear
Lagesson / Jones - Bouchard

I will be surprised is Klefbom ever plays another game in the NHL. Signing a player like Ekhlom or Hamilton (or some other such player) would really help with the teams defensive depth, especially if we could hang onto what we currently have. It would knock many of the players down a spot.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No way you move Bear IMO. He's going to be a reliable middle-pair D for many years to come. I would sooner move on from Barrie than let Bear go as both Bear and Bouchard provide similar things and are cheaper and cost-controlled. Either way, you don't move a top4D for a goalie.
You have to give something to get a legitimate starting goalie. Prospects likely won't cut it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Larsson can keep healthy and keep playing like this, I wouldn't mind giving him a 3X3 type of a deal. That said we still need Bouch playing NHL minutes and Bear shouldn't be going anywhere IMO.

Nurse-Barrie
Bouch-Bear
Russell-Larsson

Next season if we re-sign Barrie and Lars:

Nurse-Barrie
Bouch-Bear
Samorukov-Larsson
Russell

If Klef returns healthy next season then we have some serious depth on D and maybe forced to move 1 or 2 quality D.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I know it's a proposal, but I would be all in for Ekholm. If the Oilers acquired him, they would finally be set on D (not champion level D, but at least legit playoff D).

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Really interested to see what Barrie is looking for on his next deal. Love the player, just hope he isn't looking for crazy $$$. He has a rare skill set that is not easily replaced.
I think he has to like what he sees here . He took less money to come here. I think he re-signs

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Dare to dream
Barrie Nurse
Klefbom (healthy) Larsson
Lagesson Bouchard 4K Russell Bear

Not much talk on 4K but he was a pretty good soldier for us when we were 3-6. Good shutdown fella. If we lose Jones to Seattle, so be it
That’s a pretty good defence

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse Bear
Lagasson Larsson
Russell Bouchard

Not sure of Bear need to see him doing well for longer.

Bouchard will move to the top line eventually

Not signing Barrie leaves money for forward

Klefbom is done his personal life is far more important after the surgery.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Seems many don't have Lagasson on the team next year. I quite like that he is unnoticeable. Can't remember a goal against and saying damn Lagasson cover your man. Reminds me of Larsson a bit.
This is very odd considering how few NHL games he has played.

Low cost as well.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Pass on KK for sure.
If Larsson asks for more than 2.5M per then walk away from him as well considering we have Russell signed already for next season.

This is like saying you should walk away from buying a new truck because you have a 1984 S10 on blocks in the backyard.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If Larsson can keep healthy and keep playing like this, I wouldn't mind giving him a 3X3 type of a deal. That said we still need Bouch playing NHL minutes and Bear shouldn't be going anywhere IMO.

Nurse-Barrie
Bouch-Bear
Russell-Larsson

Next season if we re-sign Barrie and Lars:

Nurse-Barrie
Bouch-Bear
Samorukov-Larsson
Russell

If Klef returns healthy next season then we have some serious depth on D and maybe forced to move 1 or 2 quality D.

Are you assuming Seattle takes Lagesson? Because if not he's definitely a top 6 guy here.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He took less money because he knew he'd juice his numbers here and get a bigger payout next season.
I realize that. That was stated numerous time
He is betting on himself for a bigger payday. He was offered more money elsewhere

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
We can't assume Klefbom will be back and if he is back at what skill level. If he does, then we can be pleasantly surprised and able to trade from strength. Looks like he won't be back until after the new year if so, it may be a while before we know.

Seems pretty obvious we'll be priced out on Barrie, unless he really wants to stay.

Would be nice to bring back Jones but I don't see what we can offer Seattle to take a contract like Neal or Koskinen off our hands. Our first and top prospects should be off limits.

Broberg is having a tough year, and there already rumblings that he needs to play another year in Sweden before getting AHL time. Still he's a first round pick, and teams don't give up on those players, and Holland will slow play to get him at the NHL level with more of a NHL skillset.

I'd hope the Oilers re-sign Larsson, we don't really have another D like him.

Here's what I like:

Nurse - Bear (remember Nurse's and Klef's second year)
Lagesson - Larsson
Russell or other lower cost veteran - Bouchard

We have $19M in offseason capspace, more if we can dump a salary on Seattle, and buyouts for Neal and Koskinen should be considered.

But we need a higher-end goaltender and either sign or replace Nugent Hopkins. That looks to take $10-13M of the capspace. With almost all of Holland's recent signings on one year deals, I doubt we'll have the capspace to go big game hunting on defense.

Last edited:

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
The numbers for Larsson’s deal in this thread are rediculous.

larsson will get 4x4 this summer.

one guy I’d be looking to add for cheap if Larsson walks is Jani Hankapaa. 6’5” 215lbs RHD who leads the league in hits. We could sign him for 2 x 1.5M. Plus it gives a finnish buddy for Pulju.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->