Next perennial bottom feeder

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I swear to god if they're bad this year and get Lafreniere..........
The Hawks have only picked #1 once in team history, and have never picked higher than 3rd besides the Kane year. It's time.

When did you become a Hawks fan? Do you remember picking #3, #7, #3, #1? I remember hawks and kings being kinda laughing stocks of the league around that time.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
With all due respect, it isn't time for anything in Chicago. You have won 3 cups in the last ten years. You aren't going to get too much pity from most other teams around the league.
Yeah, f*** the Hawks. Hope they go back to decades of irrelevancy.

I'd say if anyone is gonna become a joke, it'll be the Kings again.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I swear to god if they're bad this year and get Lafreniere..........
The Hawks have only picked #1 once in team history, and have never picked higher than 3rd besides the Kane year. It's time.

All fans of teams who haven't picked first ever, or even top 3 in the last 20 years looking at this post like
xwkloH6.jpg

Khrox

May 31, 2018
It seems to be the consensus that the Senators are the worst team in the league and have been for nearly a couple years now. They might still be in the conversation for a couple more years, but who do you think will succeed them as the worst team in the league?
Senators definitely for the next couple years. But there are a few strong teams that might drop off sooner rather than later:

Pens: A lot of their core at the end of their current contracts are going to be on the old side (Malkin will be 35 in his last year 21/22, Crosby will be 37 at the end of his contract in 24/25, will be 34 in Malkin's last year, Letang will be 34 in his last year 21/22, Jack Johnson will be 36 in 22/23). That team's best players are starting to get up there. Not saying they won't be good, short of injury Crosby is still going to be Crosby, he just won't be 100 point Crosby. Hell, by 35 he might only be a 65-70 point player (not bad by any means, but not a guy who can drag his team to the playoffs). They've also traded a lot of high picks (1 first round pick in the last 5 years, 3 third round picks, though they did keep a lot of their 2nd rounds). Admittedly, if they keep their firsts and land a couple home runs on a few other picks in the next few years, they might avoid bottom feeder status, but as it stands, their core is definitely aging out, and lacking the talent to really replace it (currently).

Chicago: Basically the same situation as the Pens. Their core is going to age out, and they seemingly lack the talent to replace it (currently). Kane and Toews both have their final seasons on their current contracts in 22/23 (age 33 and 34 respectively), Seabrook will be 38 in his final year (23/24) Keith will be 39 (22/23), Crawford is 34 this year (and it's his last year of his contract).

In both those cases, these are teams who have won a lot recently (3 cups in 5 years for Chicago, and 3 cups in 9 years including back-to-back championships for Pittsburgh). They achieved the pinnacle, and are paying for it now.

San Jose: Again, I feel they'll still be good for a few more years (give or take 3-4 years, depending on how their D ages). But their team is definitely up there in age. Burns is 34 (his contract takes him to 39), Vlasic is 32 (his contract takes him to 38 I believe), Karlsson is likely going to fall off in his 30's (his biggest asset is his speed, and that's not likely to last through his contract which takes him to 36. I figure he still has 4 more good years or so barring injury), Couture is 30 this year, (his contract takes him to 37). Marleau and Thornton are both 30 this year. The upside is, I feel they have at least a bit of replacement talent already in their pool to help replace as these players age out, but the next few years of drafting could make or break them.

Again though, all it's going to take is one or two good trades, or a couple good drafts and this doesn't happen to any of these teams. I'd also say the wild, but I really feel they never totally bottom out, they remain just... average, somehow.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
When did you become a Hawks fan? Do you remember picking #3, #7, #3, #1? I remember hawks and kings being kinda laughing stocks of the league around that time.
Since the early 90s. Yes, I remember Barker, Skille, Toews and Kane. 2007 was the first time since expansion that the Hawks picked higher than 3rd. Yes, Bill Wirtz ran the team into the ground. Until 2016, Kane's career high in points was 88 in 2010. Kane didn't peak until their run was already over, which is sad.

I also remember Ruutu, Yakubov, Vorobiev and the like.

My argument is this: The Hawks have had bad luck with lottery picks most years they've been bad.(2019 nonwithstanding, but they jumped to 3 in a year when there was a clear dropoff at 3) In 2004 they missed out on Malkin/Ovi 2005 got canceled when they were clearly one of the worst teams, 2006 they got lucky at the top, and in 2007 it felt deserved because they got screwed in 04/05. They always seem to get the short end of even winning a lottery. The only time they actually didn't was in 2007 with Kane.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez68 and voxel

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
They had their Reilly/Nylander/Marner/Matthews bottom-feeder phase already.

Yeah. With all that they're sitting at 7 points in 6 games...a 96 point pace over a season. What did 96 points do for a team in last season's playoff race?...early golfing.

Add in a bottom 16 defense and a goalie now over 30 to those multiple albatrosses of contracts and the future looks bleak for the Leafs.

Sasquatchbreath

Oct 7, 2019
Since the early 90s. Yes, I remember Barker, Skille, Toews and Kane. 2007 was the first time since expansion that the Hawks picked higher than 3rd. Yes, Bill Wirtz ran the team into the ground. Until 2016, Kane's career high in points was 88 in 2010. Kane didn't peak until their run was already over, which is sad.

I also remember Ruutu, Yakubov, Vorobiev and the like.

My argument is this: The Hawks have had bad luck with lottery picks most years they've been bad.(2019 nonwithstanding, but they jumped to 3 in a year when there was a clear dropoff at 3) In 2004 they missed out on Malkin/Ovi 2005 got canceled when they were clearly one of the worst teams, 2006 they got lucky at the top, and in 2007 it felt deserved because they got screwed in 04/05. They always seem to get the short end of even winning a lottery. The only time they actually didn't was in 2007 with Kane.

3 Stanley Cups.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Pens have Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Murray

So, no

You mean 32 year old Crosby and Letang and 33 year old Malkin? The team that's traded away most of their first round picks over the past decade? Yeah Pittsburgh is gonna be in for a tough go. But more immediately, Minnesota seems a likely candidate. Maybe LA?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Probably a team nobody has mentioned here.

Not a bottom feeder but teams like Vancouver and Florida are going nowhere.

Last edited:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
You mean 32 year old Crosby and Letang and 33 year old Malkin? The team that's traded away most of their first round picks over the past decade? Yeah Pittsburgh is gonna be in for a tough go. But more immediately, Minnesota seems a likely candidate. Maybe LA?
Get back to me when we miss the playoffs

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Get back to me when we miss the playoffs

Ok, granted the Pens probably still have a couple good years left. But I'll put it in my calendar for, let's say 2023 - tell Cellee on HF "I told you so" about the Pens going into a full-scale long-term rebuild.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Maybe Colorado. Jets are 1 of the youngest teams in league. We got everybody paid. Good luck paying everybody in the next few years.

"Good luck fitting all your fantastic players under the cap.”

What a problem to have eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad