Next GM, AGM, and President

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think that the most logical situation to come from this is still the one that was presented when he was hired.

Hilferty is here to grease the poles for their entertainment district that they’ve wanted to build because he’s in that world. It will be a separate job from operating the Flyers.

Camillo is the natural replacement for Scott. She’s worked with the Flyers for a few years now and has ascended to basically the top so what’s one more step?

For the time being Hilferty may be “running the show” but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was just due to Camillo currently working under Scott and she can’t tell him what to do.

Once Scott is gone she and Briere, who she has helped groom, will likely be leading the way. The Flyers likely want one person to focus solely on the Flyers and another to focus on the rest of Comcast Spectacor’s assets.

Is that to say that Hilferty won’t be doing anything with the team? No but by early reports that’s not really why he’s here.
When executives get hired, get their feet under them, and identify processes, they begin with pretty easy initiatives that make the least sense as to why they’re problems to begin with. When the table is cleared, they delegate the people who understood the problems but weren’t empowered to fix it, and then get a liaison for when there is a problem they can’t fix, or if it’s a crucial enough element - which the Flyers are, are that person until they don’t need to be.

Usually it’s because someone above them had previously got tired of dealing with it and cared even less once they knew it soon wouldn’t be their problem anymore, which perfectly encapsulates Dave Scott as someone who only cared that he didn’t want to deal with it, and only did enough as to to not have to hear about it - until he knows his time is coming up and doesn’t need to do anything because it’s all going to be changed anyways.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Damn, I don't like Marcus Hayes but he is exactly who you want writing this article considering his disdain for the Flyers and Hockey in general

For five decades the Flyers have been stuck in a toxic trap of nostalgia. They’ve been held hostage to Three Wise Men, legends as players who now sit in secluded offices, operating without accountability, peddling favors and favoritism to connections who see the game through the same mottled, last-century lenses as they still see it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Flyers staff commuting to work

FrgkbyQXgAQOf1m

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't care who they have as an advisor, as long as they're just an advisor, and not a major influence on decision making. "The buck stops here" needs to be on Briere's desk (or whomever they hire as GM).

Kimmo should be given a role, President? Assistant GM?

Lindros, has he actually done anything in management?

Doesn't matter what he did as a player, in fact, I'd hold that against him in the sense he was too talented. Unlike someone like Briere who had to grasp every edge to compete, Lindros was heads and shoulders above his peers. It's difficult for really talented players to understand how hard the game is for most players.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
There is so much to be done to calm the fanbases anger and anxiety. Patience is something we will have to get used to I think.
I can be patient for a team with a plan, I've watched the phillies my whole life, even the 76ers through the process, but the Flyers were and are a damn joke, there's no direction, no plan, they were completely ok wasting primes of franchise players, so as long as they have a plan, and don't stray, I'll watch and be happy to wait, but if 2 years go by and then they start trading for old vets again, I'll truly be done, I've already suffered for over a decade, not gonna waste 20 more years lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can be patient for a team with a plan, I've watched the phillies my whole life, even the 76ers through the process, but the Flyers were and are a damn joke, there's no direction, no plan, they were completely ok wasting primes of franchise players, so as long as they have a plan, and don't stray, I'll watch and be happy to wait, but if 2 years go by and then they start trading for old vets again, I'll truly be done, I've already suffered for over a decade, not gonna waste 20 more years lol
Yep. If you have a well thought out strategy, you can survive a mistake or two, may delay gratification for a year, but teams have rebuilt despite blowing top ten picks (NJ #6 Zacha, Col #10 Jost, etc.). What kills most rebuilds is the urge to end the suffering and declare mission accomplished and start draining assets to win now.

If I owned a hockey team, I'd forbid my GM to ever trade more than a 3rd rd pick at the TDL - if the team isn't good enough to win, it's doubtful anyone you add at the TDL will put you over the edge - but it's a good way to be taken to the cleaners.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Saw the article by Hayes. It’s a good sign at least. It also means that we hopefully are actually looking at getting the guys like Hayes out asap and maybe even Provorov, Konecny, Hart, Sanheim. We should be looking to get draft picks. With that talent up for sale, why not try and get 5 1sts in 2023!?!?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't understand Lindros getting a mention about anything...the guy has done nothing post hockey that would warrant him earning that position.
Not to mention he probably has CTE from all the concussions. Not exactly the guy I'd want in charge of a hockey team.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I remember many moons ago when the Richards/Carter trades went down and Homer was speaking of a reset or whatever that was, plenty of people here talked about how the timelines on players made no sense. Giroux and Voracek would be toast by the time any rebuild was really finished, Briere/Timonen/Hartnell would be long finished, etc. It was correctly called that they should have sold off a lot more so the team wouldn't be in an eternal limbo of players declining while the next generation wasn't ready.

Here we are again.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I remember many moons ago when the Richards/Carter trades went down and Homer was speaking of a reset or whatever that was, plenty of people here talked about how the timelines on players made no sense. Giroux and Voracek would be toast by the time any rebuild was really finished, Briere/Timonen/Hartnell would be long finished, etc. It was correctly called that they should have sold off a lot more so the team wouldn't be in an eternal limbo of players declining while the next generation wasn't ready.

Here we are again.
Yeah I've been wanting a rebuild for almost 10 years now, just imagine where we could possibly had we started back then, I doubt we'd be as bad off as we are right now

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Things are bad now but I think it’s going to get worse before we see things starting to uptick. As long as there is a plan and they stick to it I will deal with it. It’s been far too long since we have had direction and a plan.
But I get it’s going to take some time for the fanbase to trust how things are going to go

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
FWIW, Bundy has been saying that Clarke and Holmgren have had virtually no say in anything other than they backed the Torts hire that was mostly Briere’s doing. He said they are getting a bad rap and spent the deadline in Florida golfing. He said Fletcher’s mistakes have been Fletcher’s, not Clarke or Homer.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
FWIW, Bundy has been saying that Clarke and Holmgren have had virtually no say in anything other than they backed the Torts hire that was mostly Briere’s doing. He said they are getting a bad rap and spent the deadline in Florida golfing. He said Fletcher’s mistakes have been Fletcher’s, not Clarke or Homer.
But who had a hand in hiring Fletcher?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can see Fletcher having primary responsibility for the summer of 2021 and spring of 2022, though I think that had a lot to do with Scott mandating an "aggressive reload." That was an impossible task, but Fletcher managed to make the worst of a bad situation.

2018-19 was all Holmgrem, he was President, he hired Fletcher, he made it clear the mandate was to "win now," and I'm sure he (and Clarke) was behind the move to try and hire Q, then settle for AV. Fletcher did a good job of getting back to the playoffs at minimal cost (Hayes, 2nd & 3rd, some GMs would have spent 2-3 1st rd picks). After that, it was all downhill.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Clarke is the whole reason Fletcher was hired and then kept on, so I'm happy to say every one of Fletcher's mistakes is also Clarke's

Reactions: Amorgus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad