Next GM, AGM, and President

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We're talking 6th rd, a defensive defenseman who is mobile and physical and blocks shots probably has a much better shot at a NHL career than a one dimensional player like Kalynuk.

Where you draft players matters, given the change in the NHL, it's doubtful that players like Bratt will drop out of the top 100 in the future, so any "offensive" player left on the board in the 6th rd is likely to be a future AHL all star at best. Whereas big defensemen often develop over time and end up in the NHL, and as offensive players move up, some of these viable prospects will get pushed down the draft.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The Flyers took a 7th round re-entry defender, who produced on one of the worst scoring teams in the USHL, and who ended up one of the best defensemen in college hockey and built possible value. I watched plenty of him; he had a good skill-set. He did pretty well in the AHL, then stalled. That was a perfect target for a 7th round pick. Imagine criticizing that pick to defend "Mr. 5 Point" Ty Murchison and the like as being more NHL projectable. Waste of time.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
The firings need to continue. Talking about who should do which job is irrelevant when we still have to remove people who have been contributing to the horrible situation the organization is in.

Naming Briere as GM is about as obvious as installing a puppet GM has ever been.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My point was simply that late round picks with offensive skills are probably less likely to be NHL players than late round defensive picks these days.

For one thing, it's easier to scout offensive skills, a lot of defensive players develop over time into 3rd pair/4th line starters,. There are a few offensive players who did that, the operative word is "few." Skilled offensive players tend to contribute faster, so they'll be valued higher than a prospect you may have to marinate 2-3 years in the AHL.

Now that the league understands the new rules favor smaller offensive players, those who drop past 150 are going to be longer and longer shots.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I don't hate the Briere promotion. Former players at least understand the technical part of the game and those who are more of the social and communicative type, like Briere, often do well in terms of building relationships and networking. Not saying he is cast in the same mold as Sakic, Yzerman ... okay, yes, I'm comparing him to those right now. I'm feeling a little optimistic right now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sakic had no more experience when he took over Colorado than Briere has now.
Which guarantees nothing, but does say that extensive experience may not be required for former players.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Which guarantees nothing, but does say that extensive experience may not be required for former players.
I wouldn't want a front office full of rookies, but I don't mind going with someone with less experience. They would just have to have the right vision for the franchise. I mean, everyone was inexperienced at what they do at some point.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
After hearing the podcast:

They think Briere is the GM, they thought he sounded far too confident for an interim job, which means Briere was annoited by Comcast/Dan, not Scott and the advisors (b/c they may be gone by June, if they were your champions, you'd be nervous).

Briere will handle the hockey moves, the President will handle ops and relations with Dan and Camillo.
Briere and Torts seem to be on the same page, and will be working closely together on the rebuild.

That to me rules out Shero, who I can't imagine wouldn't try to interfere with Briere given his GM background.
Esche is a good fit, AHL President, former Flyer but not beholden to the "old guard."
Whitney is also a possibility.
Lindros may be brought in for some role, assistant GM? Player development?

Reactions: renberg and Redpath

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
After hearing the podcast:

They think Briere is the GM, they thought he sounded far too confident for an interim job, which means Briere was annoited by Comcast/Dan, not Scott and the advisors (b/c they may be gone by June, if they were your champions, you'd be nervous).

Briere will handle the hockey moves, the President will handle ops and relations with Dan and Camillo.
Briere and Torts seem to be on the same page, and will be working closely together on the rebuild.

That to me rules out Shero, who I can't imagine wouldn't try to interfere with Briere given his GM background.
Esche is a good fit, AHL President, former Flyer but not beholden to the "old guard."
Whitney is also a possibility.
Lindros may be brought in for some role, assistant GM? Player development?
Which podcast? Getting ready to go for a walk so I'd like something to listen to.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Friedman and Marek have said multiple times that people are going to line up for this job. And we’ve heard a number of times about how Dan Hilferty is a big time power broker in the city.

To me, that’s way above the pay grade of Robert Esche, at least in terms of being president. Not sure what other specific role being president of an AHL team gets you, but he’s not a big enough fish for president of hockey ops. It seems there will be a pretty wide net being cast here.

Dan Hilferty definitely has his hands on the wheel of this thing, and there’s at least a sense here that he’s thinking what a lot of us have been thinking when it comes to the power structure. It feels like this is not going to be a spot for one of the old boy hockey lifers to take a spot in and wait to retire. If it’s a highly coveted job - and it is - there’s going to be people outside of hockey who are having trouble breaking through a ceiling in their sport or line of work that will see an opportunity to raise their profile in the sports power structure. It’s already started with Valerie Camillo. The same will go for whoever replaces Dave Scott.

They mentioned all the people who are in a role here reaching out to make sure people around the league know what they didn’t do. I remember them saying the same about Vancouver when they were taking forever to shitcan Jim Benning. People who have had power know they are losing it. They’ve run out of people to blame, and now it’s every man for himself. The rats are scattering.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would cry laughing if the Flyers hired someone outside of hockey to be their team president. Because it would make the HockeyGuy™ brains of the Chris Theriens of the world liquify into goo. Okay, further liquify into goo.

I assume they'd be the first team to appoint a non-hockey executive in an executive position. I'd say there's a .000000001% chance of that. This team's idea of cutting edge is a balloon.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Sakic did have a good amount more NHL level managing experience. Briere has the one year, Sakic had three or four.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I would cry laughing if the Flyers hired someone outside of hockey to be their team president. Because it would make the HockeyGuy™ brains of the Chris Theriens of the world liquify into goo. Okay, further liquify into goo.

I assume they'd be the first team to appoint a non-hockey executive in an executive position. I'd say there's a .000000001% chance of that. This team's idea of cutting edge is a balloon.

You'll get a zero-experience Lindros, ok

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think it'll make that much difference, I don't think the President is going to supervise the GM, rather, he/she will be more of a COO, dealing with all aspects of the organization working behind the scenes (the Phantoms, training and medical staff, analytics, summer programs, etc.)

It sounds at first glance that the rebuild will be Briere working with Torts.
Now the question is who Briere will want to keep and to bring in.
He really has no ties to the "lifers" in the building, and it sound like the old guard will be gone by summer.

Reactions: renberg

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm too cynical to not view any Lindros hiring -- in what capacity? -- as red meat for the all-important age 30-50 consumer. They're sick and tired of the Bullies generation, so give them their generation's marquee star to make them weak-kneed with nostalgia.
In a way, they've already done that with Briere, no? :laugh:

Need to fill that 90s-10s gap. Clear out the Bullies, who won before this segment of the fanbase was born, and bring in heroes from recent eras to appease them. Seems an easy enough temporary distraction...

I am blown away that Lindros is even a consideration. Just a few years ago, he was seemingly happy with family life and admitted publicly, if I recall correctly, that he wasn't even watching much NHL hockey anymore.

There's probably a good reason for his interest...

simpsons-taxes.gif

... but I cannot fathom what would make him a candidate at all to join management, let alone a high level/high pressure role.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Tulsky still has to be the #1 candidate. Seriously.
from what i can tell, he would make sense if they were intent on hiring a GM. Danny's interim tag basically seems to imply that he's the GM unless he royally f***s up in this trial period and/or seems nowhere near ready for this position and/or they find a guy for the PoHO role that they like so much but he absolutely insists on picking his own right hand guy for the GM.

So basically, unless Don Waddell is coming here, you can probably get over the Tulsky pipe dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad