Next GM, AGM, and President

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
I started a thread of potential candidates back when we were looking for a new coach, so I thought I would do the same for this. So it sounds like they're going to seperate the GM and President positions, which could be interesting. Vancouver did that and everyone thinks Jim Rutherford is the GM and have no idea who Patrick Allvin is. I personally think Briere is going to be President, but who knows.

Daniel Briere - interim GM. Knows the team and the people very well. Finalist for the Montreal job. Loved by Comcast.
Mathieu Darche - finalist for Montreal as well. Been an AGM for TB for a while. Thought highly as an up and comer.
Eric Tulsky - From the area. and used to write for Broad Street Hockey. Young and knows the analytics side of the game very well. Only a matter of time till he's running a team.
Kyle Dubas - last year of his contract. If the Leafs get bounced early again, I could see them not giving him another chance.
Scott Mellanby - former Flyer. According to Cam and Strick, has interviewed for several open GM positions. Currently not working.
Kevin Weekes - Saw his name out there. Not sure what he's done in his broadcasting career that would make him a good GM. Could be a candidate for AGM if he wants to get into the front office.
John Ferguson, Jr. - former GM of the Leafs. Currently AGM of the Bruins. I always see his name mentioned as a possible candidate.
Ryan Martin - AGM of the Rangers. I've seen his name out there before. Don't know much about him.
Ray Shero - re-tread. Kind of like Charles Entertainment Fletcher. Has a Stanley Cup ring, but kind of gifted that roster in Pittsburgh. I'd stay away from this guy.
Mike Futa - knows Dean Lombardi very well and currently not working. If you go with a young-ish GM, he has the experience to be a good AGM.

additions:
Eric Lindros
Chris Pronger
- AGM to Dale Tallon in FLA. Out of hockey for a few years. Maybe President?
Eddie Olczyk - well liked in hockey circles. Not a very good coach, so maybe President??

Let me know who else to add to the list.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Eric Tulsky has an interesting linkedin profile. That guy's career arc is so out of left field, probably the perfect guy to reshape the Flyers. Even if it was a complete failure I'd imagine most fans can appreciate that landscape for the short term.

PhD from Berkeley in Chemistry, worked at a few bay area places and then wound up doing analytics for the Hurricanes. Not too surprising though since I'm sure a lot of his work dealt with data analytics using Matlab/etc.

Only down side: Another Harvard educated man.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
The Shero talk make me nauseous.
I think if Briere becomes President, then he won't go with a retread BS guy. I would think he would go younger or at least someone that understands the current NHL.
But if he's made GM, then I would totally see some has been, no good executive like Shero as President.

Is the best realistic case that Briere is Team President and not GM? I see basically no path to a good President hire if Briere is GM. Slim chance in the reverse.

Of course we all know this will end poorly. 2040s could be our decade.
You posted this while I was writing pretty much the same thing

Last edited:
Reactions: Magua

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
Marek and Friedman were just on during this intermission throwing all kinds of names out there that have been mentioned already while also including Ray Whitney, Shane Doan and Robert Esche. Mentioned there is a ton of interest for the job.

They speculated about the offseason moves they might make including trading Hart. And then mentioned they're going to be taking a in depth look at their player development.

For clarity they both thought Briere would remain the GM with these other names being candidates for the President role. The worst part was that Flahr is thought of in good terms so I can't see him going anytime soon.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Be careful what you wish for........

ebbpy88cjobno1if1yau_400x400.jpeg

Last edited:

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Be careful what you wish for........
insert Michael Scott "nooooo"

Kimo Timonen as GM; DB as President? Timonen was the last Flyer to seem to understand the speed and skill game and how to make it work. From watching him play one can see that his hockey IQ is off the chart. I’d trust him totally on player evaluations. He knows DB. They might make a good team
Kimo as AGM or head of Pro Scouting??

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Look at these f***ing names floating around lol. I scoff at every former player. Nostalgia should never dictate leadership. Why is past experience not the most important position in the reconstruction of this organization? What track record does Ray f***ing Whitney have as an executive of hockey ops? Robert Esche? There's no bigger slam dunk than Tulsky, which means you can forget about him. And for God's sake, put a restraining order on Kevin Weekes. I'd hang myself.

If any major hire is made before the advisors are all gone then it's game over anyway. We should all be actively rooting against Briere. I fully expect minimal change outside of filling the PHop and GM positions with a lazy hiring process and some HockeyGuy coming in

Last edited:

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
I would really like Tulsky, with Briere as some special assistant/player development. His work with TK shows he can bridge the gap between fancy stats and practical application. I think that would work well with Tulsky.

When it comes to Pres. of Ops, I am a bit torn. If Dave Scott is still in the picture, you need a person who can manage up in a business context. If the names we've heard are true, I actually don't think Lindros would be a terrible idea. He has experience being an ombudsman for the NHLPA, and being involved in community efforts. I think that could be a perfect mix if he has no designs on player/roster management, and all he has to do is tell Dave Scott to shut the f*** up and rebuild the Flyers' link to the community and player first culture that draws talent here.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Here we are... and yet I bet lots of folks wonder why Carolina continues to make due without having all the $s to spend on scouts, front office personnel, and such.

Kotkaniemi might be a bit of a dud but at least he's young, has some draft pedigree (whether rightfully deserved or not), and can still improve.

That's a team that knows how to pivot and doesn't double down on mistakes.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
"Tulsky for GM" feels like the "Benoit Groulx for coach" wishlist item of the past decade. I just don't see it happening.

I like the idea of Briere becoming President better than becoming GM. Young guy, passionate about the Flyers without seemingly being tainted by it (yet), I think I'd prefer his insight at the 30,000 foot view than day-to-day, where I suspect there will be better GM candidates available than there would be President candidates. However, I think it will be the opposite. Briere becomes GM, someone else becomes President.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with assistant GMs is unless you have a pipeline into an organization, you don't know exactly what they contributed or if they're GM material.

I remember all those guys Howie "pushed out" - turns out most weren't as good as Howie despite being "football guys." After a while, it's become obvious that Howie wasn't the product of his assistant GMs.

Same question when it comes to Carolina or any other successful franchise.
Tulsky may be a great analytics guy who doesn't have a feel for scouting for all we know.
Maybe it's Waddell, maybe the other assistant GM, maybe they're a great trio.

Reactions: JXC

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The problem with assistant GMs is unless you have a pipeline into an organization, you don't know exactly what they contributed or if they're GM material.

I remember all those guys Howie "pushed out" - turns out most weren't as good as Howie despite being "football guys." After a while, it's become obvious that Howie wasn't the product of his assistant GMs.

Same question when it comes to Carolina or any other successful franchise.
Tulsky may be a great analytics guy who doesn't have a feel for scouting for all we know.
Maybe it's Waddell, maybe the other assistant GM, maybe they're a great trio.

Flahr speaking so openly of his values and what he contributed to development amply demonstrated his lack of any value.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'll do all of the above for cheap.

On a serious note I think Tulsky and Dubas are the most appealing options, but I agree with Redpath that Tulsky sounds like just a fanbase pipedream and there's no guarantee Dubas is even available. In any case, if the old guard is still here, neither will even be considered.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5