Next coach to fall

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Man Maurice has like the unwinningest record out of all coaches active right now and the guys been around the league for a while now too. If I were the jets, I'd jump on julien right away before Montreal takes him first. Also willie desjardin needs to go

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Man Maurice has like the unwinningest record out of all coaches active right now and the guys been around the league for a while now too. If I were the jets, I'd jump on julien right away before Montreal takes him first. Also willie desjardin needs to go

This one will be interesting if Dallas pull out a win on Tuesday against the Jets. Jets usually play well against them. So if they fall, I could not possibly see how Chevy continues to not notice Maurice has probably outlasted his shelf life.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I think Therrien is a pipe dream. It seems to me that Bergevin sided with him over Subban which makes him pretty damn safe in my eyes. Additionally, when is the last time a coach was fired while leading the division? I would think it is a pretty rare occurrence. Ruff and Maurice seem like the obvious candidates to me.

I'm usually pretty in tune with how Bergevin thinks and I believe you are wrong here. I think that for the first time he's thinking about the possibility of a coaching change. I think Therrien's done a good job, but that the team needs a shakeup. Unfortunately for him the guy most likely to go when a situation gets stale is the coach, whether or not it's his fault. There are no injuries right now and the team is a complete gong show.

I don't know if it will happen, but in my opinion Bergevin is thinking about it seriously for the first time.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm usually pretty in tune with how Bergevin thinks and I believe you are wrong here. I think that for the first time he's thinking about the possibility of a coaching change. I think Therrien's done a good job, but that the team needs a shakeup. Unfortunately for him the guy most likely to go when a situation gets stale is the coach, whether or not it's his fault. There are no injuries right now and the team is a complete gong show.

I don't know if it will happen, but in my opinion Bergevin is thinking about it seriously for the first time.

He has to be. This isn't last year. You have yet another season of baggage built up and the team has lost 7 of 8 games and is playing with no passion again. People like to talk about how loyal Bergevin is, but I don't think he wants to risk the team cleaning house because he wouldn't fire a coach he gave WAY more then enough chances too.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It should be Paul Maurice. No passion, no heart, no accountability, defensive system a complete mess, constant defensive breakdowns, allowed most goals in NHL, players look depressed, constant stream of excuses.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
He has to be. This isn't last year. You have yet another season of baggage built up and the team has lost 7 of 8 games and is playing with no passion again. People like to talk about how loyal Bergevin is, but I don't think he wants to risk the team cleaning house because he wouldn't fire a coach he gave WAY more then enough chances too.

I think that if you look at recent coaching changes also (St-Louis and Boston) those teams gave up well-known established coaches very recently and it seemed to have the wanted effect for them, for now. There is recent precedent there.

I would assume he is looking at those situations also and taking that into consideration.

He can't afford another complete collapse.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think that if you look at recent coaching changes also (St-Louis and Boston) those teams gave up well-known established coaches very recently and it seemed to have the wanted effect for them, for now. There is recent precedent there.

I would assume he is looking at those situations also and taking that into consideration.

He can't afford another complete collapse.

Both those teams should have kept their coaches.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Both those teams should have kept their coaches.

Maybe, maybe not. Though I tend to agree.

But in the short term it gave both those teams a spark. Sometimes teams just need a shakeup and unfortunately for coaches it's the easiest way to provide that a lot of times.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
Won't be Therrien. He'll get another extension and vote of confidence from his bff Bergevin.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Maybe, maybe not. Though I tend to agree.

But in the short term it gave both those teams a spark. Sometimes teams just need a shakeup and unfortunately for coaches it's the easiest way to provide that a lot of times.

You call it "spark", others call it "regression"

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Jon Cooper gets a free pass this season considering his Franchise center is out for the whole year just about and on the back of SCF>ECF visits.

Next season though? They better burn the league down because if they even begin to look like they're slipping, he'll be on his way out.

I will say however, that having Claude Julien out there could entice the TBL to make that move at some point, regardless of past success.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I hope for the Jets fans sake, their Mgt team is noticing how to address a coaching staff that is being tuned out. Therrien out, and Julien in just like that. Great move by the Canadiens.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Well, called that one :laugh:

Didn't think they would get Julien though. I guess him becoming available put the last nail in Therrien's coffin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad