Speculation: Next captain of the Canucks?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If we miraculously got Tavares, we'd be set up front if we signed a LW like JVR as well. Such a pipe dream but still.

JVR-Tavares-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Pettersson
Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen
Archie-Sutter-Eriksson
Gaunce/Goldy
I really think you need to curb your expectations for Pettersson and Gaudette. Yeah they have upside, but I really find it unfair to expect kids to break into the league as mainstays while being in their rookie seasons.

Allow them a couple years grace period to really find their feet. It's not a bad thing, nor does it mean they aren't great prospects.

I feel like over the last 10 years we've all been overly treated to amazing talent at the top of drafts like McD, Matthews, Laine, Tavares, Stamkos, etc. I feel like it's made people expect most kids to have to be established NHLers by the time their 20, which just isn't fair.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Who specifically gets to decide again? Is it the team's decision, Henrik Sedin's decision, the coach's decision, or management's decision?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Should be Horvat. Tanev and Edler would be good for the team but they aren't really interview material which is basically what wearing the C is.

It would be fitting for Sutter or Gudbranson to get it, but they've clearly been grooming Horvat for the C and I would be shocked for him not to get it, even with this sad sack franchise.
Gaudettes already got the best interviews on the team

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I have considered either no C or a rotating C depending on he situation...

Nope. Changed my mind.

Just slap it on Horvat and let's get on with the future of this team already.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Knowing this team, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to Sutter or Gudbranson.

If they really want the fans to actually be "mad" at them, then sure. I would quit on the team too if they do that (and since the Sedins are leaving....I'm a lot less interested anyway)

Bo will get the "C'. The casuals will riot if he doesn't.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So many leaders in that dressing room to choose from:
Sutter
Eriksson
Gudbranson
Gagner
Del Zotto
Jokeinen
Clamato Electric
Pouliot
Dowd
Nielsson
W Granlund

Really nicely assembled team when you look at that list (end/sarcasm folks)

Reactions: rypper and The Drop

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I really think you need to curb your expectations for Pettersson and Gaudette. Yeah they have upside, but I really find it unfair to expect kids to break into the league as mainstays while being in their rookie seasons.

Allow them a couple years grace period to really find their feet. It's not a bad thing, nor does it mean they aren't great prospects.

I feel like over the last 10 years we've all been overly treated to amazing talent at the top of drafts like McD, Matthews, Laine, Tavares, Stamkos, etc. I feel like it's made people expect most kids to have to be established NHLers by the time their 20, which just isn't fair.

...Pettersson just broke the teenage record for most points in the SHL and won the league's scoring race and Gaudette is the favorite to win the Hobey Baker award for being the top player in college. I think it's fair to have high expectations for players who have the pedigree to back it up.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Im still in awe that player as bad as sutter has a letter.

If he got the C, I wouldn't follow the team anymore.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I'd personally go into next season without a captain. Give the team a year to decompress and figure it out. No need to rush. Alternate the A between Bo, Tanev, Edler, Sutter, Brock.

Don't think it's harmed Toronto to be without one.

Actually, as un-sexy as that sounds it is probably the right thing to do...

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
In the unlikely event we land Tavares, do you give it to a guy who has never been a Canuck before? In any case it should probably be Horvat, Edler is gone after next year and likely Tanev soon thereafter.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Go with No Captain Next year. Then the following season or two give it to Bo. Wait for more of the young talent to develope and wait for the team to improve before giving the C to Bo. Give Bo the C now is too much pressure for him.

canuck89

May 17, 2014
Prince George
If it were up to me, I'd go with Bo.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to go with only a group of alternates next year to let the new leadership group acclimate.

If that is the case, we might see something like...

Horvat - A

Edler - A

Gubranson - A

Sutter - A

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They wait it a year to give the C to Linden. They went with no fulltime captain in 90/91. Quinn once said he didn't want to give the C to Linden unless the team got better. Team got better and Linden got the C in start of 91/92. Do the same for Horvat as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad