Speculation: Next captain of the Canucks?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Would it really be the worst thing in the world if Sutter or Gudbranson was named captain for the next 3 years or so?

Give Bo and Brock A’s.

Allow Bo and Brock to just focus on hockey and not worry about the media circus and pressure that is the Vancouver market. Let Sutter and Gudbranson handle that, while allowing Bo and Brock to focus on hockey.

Both Horvat and Boeser will have their plates full as is next year with increased on-ice responsibility. Is it really worth overburdening then further?

Hank and Naslund didn’t become captains until they were in their mid 20’s. It just might be better to not overburden Horvat and Boeser. Give them A’s. Give Sutter or Gudbranson the C.........or Tavares. ;)

Reactions: Nomobo

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Why?

Both guys are outspoken, popular lockerroom vets, and are comfortable in dealing with the media. I can’t think of any other guy on the team that fits this description.

I know most of us want it to be Horvat (as do I in the not-so-distant future), but Horvat will have a lot on his plate next year. Ditto for Boeser. With Hank and Dan now retired, Bo and Brock will be our de facto number one guys on the team.

Does it make sense to add even more pressure to a 20 and 23 year old in one of the most ruthless markets in the league?

Give these guys the A. Let Sutter or Guds have the C.

Three years from now, you can name Bo the captain.......which was around the same age that Hank and Nazzy became captains.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Horvat makes sense.

But go the year without it and see who among our roster emerges as that guy. It'll be interesting to see what happens without Henrik taking the load.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Horvat makes sense.

It'll be interesting to see what happens without Henrik taking the load.

Which is why I’m in favor of leaning towards an outspoken veteran that is comfortable in handling the media. Let Bo and Brock focus on hockey as they will have enough on their plates with on-ice responsibilities. Consistently facing a ruthless and savage Vancouver media may not be the best thing in the world for a 20 or 23 year old.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Which is why I’m in favor of leaning towards an outspoken veteran that is comfortable in handling the media. Let Bo and Brock focus on hockey as they will have enough on their plates with on-ice responsibilities. Consistently facing a ruthless and savage Vancouver media may not be the best thing in the world for a 20 or 23 year old.
What ruthless and savage media is left in Vancouver exactly? All they've done since Linden and Benning came along is lob softballs.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Who does Sportsnet usually have as the 2nd period player interview?.....Bo Horvat....Seems to me like he's already the spokesman for the team.

Reactions: old ted

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
My guess is they go with 3 As
Bo Sutter and Edler is my guess

reminiscent of when steamer retired and we went with linden, dan quinn, and doug lidster as co-captains before handing it completely over to linden the year after.

let's do it. maybe will benning to do the impossible and trade sutter and tanev for three awesome guys and a pylon.

maybe also will the second coming of pavel.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
reminiscent of when steamer retired and we went with linden, dan quinn, and doug lidster as co-captains before handing it completely over to linden the year after.

let's do it. maybe will benning to do the impossible and trade sutter and tanev for three awesome guys and a pylon.

maybe also will the second coming of pavel.
Yeah im convinced three assistants Bo Boeser and Edler

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Captain Only shows up and plays really well in games when victories mean a worse draft position.

Oh, and apparently playoffs, not that we'll ever find out.
He has a massive 12 points in 33 playoff games, he's been saving himself for Vancouver's playoff runs in 15-16 16-17 and 17-18.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I want the next C to go to Sutter. He’d be perfect for it.

If this happens I’d laugh myself to sleep, a garbage time player, highest paid player to ever earn the salary he’s making (forward) that bleeds shots against and makes his team worse everywhere he goes.

Pittsburgh hasn’t not won the cup without him (didn’t make the playoffs with him in his last year) our team went from making the playoffs to being the worst team in the NHL over 3 years.

Laughable, garbage statement.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
So what are people's thoughts on this now? Horvat still the frontrunner?

I see it between Horvat, Boeser, and Pettersson. Based on what we've seen and heard from Green and other players, Horvat is the most vocal on the bench/in the locker room. I've also noticed that he is usually the one that speaks with the refs regarding a challenge/video review and whatnot, which is the captain's job. I guess Edler and Tanev also have an outside chance at it, but doubtful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad