Next 2018 Actual Off-Season Thread

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
lol, so tampa is making 10 straight finals.

just fold the team!!!

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I honestly don’t care about MacDonald & Weise. I’m totally content with waiting out their contracts to expire. They’re here two more years tops. Ryan could be here longer than that & very well could trend to Filppula territory.

I don’t want Bobby Ryan’s contract period. It’s one of the worst contracts in the league.

If you couldn’t re-sign Karlsson regardless of whatever reason you’d be the first team that Melynk & Dorion swindled.

Again, I'm not saying I'm being rational right now. It's just that there's this path to getting Karlsson at a discount and it's like a Siren luring a ship to crash in to the rocks.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
that's the problem they are not old, if they get ek, your building through the draft dream strategy with the flyers goes out the window because you got a least 10 years to reach the finals, if the flyers have to go through them. if the flyers somehow get ek they will shorten the window for them to become contenders.
you cant hope that tampa gets him.

Does anyone have a Uranus-to-English dictionary?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TB gets EK they're the favorite the next few years, but when the Flyers are ascending in 2020 forward, they'll be just as talented and 3-4 years younger and deeper.
EK wasn't EK when he came into the NHL, it wasn't until his 3rd season that he became something special.
Same way a number of the Flyer top prospects will have taken it up a notch or two in the early 2020s.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I honestly don’t care about MacDonald & Weise. I’m totally content with waiting out their contracts to expire. They’re here two more years tops. Ryan could be here longer than that & very well could trend to Filppula territory.

I don’t want Bobby Ryan’s contract period. It’s one of the worst contracts in the league.

If you couldn’t re-sign Karlsson regardless of whatever reason you’d be the first team that Melynk & Dorion swindled.
According to Capfriendly, Ryan has a modified no movement; no trade clause in his contract. If so, in addition to everything that you traded to acquire EK/Ryan, you'd have to protect him in an expansion draft like Nashville had to do with Hartnell so you'd lose another good player at that point. The price for EK is just way too high in too many ways.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Moar cap dumps for Hakstol to overplay!

We discussed this the other day. 2 years at $5.8 mil for an oft injured cooked barely NHL quality 4th liner. Huzzah! They wouldn’t even contemplate buying out Lehtera when the cap is more manageable and before the next wave of contracts kick in. Meltzer in his blog even mentioned Lehtera is the favorite to be 4C if no prospect makes the team. Maybe if we are lucky he can penalty kill again. Callahan is a worse dump than Lehtera. And we are doing it to enable an Eastern Conference team to sign the best defenseman in the league.

Raddysh is good. But Katchouk gets my interest more. And we could give them a mid rounder back or a depth prospect. Meanwhile, the rebuilding Rangers probably won’t even ask for much to take Callahan. In a non-Lehtera world where I knew Callahan would be the 13 maybe. But alas!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We discussed this the other day. 2 years at $5.8 mil for an oft injured cooked barely NHL quality 4th liner. Huzzah! They wouldn’t even contemplate buying out Lehtera when the cap is more manageable and before the next wave of contracts kick in. Meltzer in his blog even mentioned Lehtera is the favorite to be 4C if no prospect makes the team. Maybe if we are lucky he can penalty kill again. Callahan is a worse dump than Lehtera. And we are doing it to enable an Eastern Conference team to sign the best defenseman in the league.

Raddysh is good. But Katchouk gets my interest more. And we could give them a mid rounder back or a depth prospect. Meanwhile, the rebuilding Rangers probably won’t even ask for much to take Callahan. In a non-Lehtera world where I knew Callahan would be the 13 maybe. But alas!

I would look forward to Bill’s articles these next two years laced with nothing but hockey jargon defending the ineptitude of Callahan & the coaching staff that overplays him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Come on Bill. What incentive do the Flyers have doing that.
The incentive is they'd get Taylor Raddysh to take Callahan's contract. Whoops, Ryan just dislocated his shoulder again taping his stick. Deal's off.

On a more serious note, Raddysh stunk out the OHL playoffs vs. Hamilton. He was the whiniest of the whining Greyhounds. Cried like a baby every time the Bulldogs hit him, chirping to the refs all the time. Crosby must be his hero. Not sure I'd want him anyway, and esp. not if it means being shackled to Callahan's contract.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I know we have a lot of cap space but I think we are at the point where we need to stop taking bad contracts. With Lehtera, Weise, and MacDonald we already have too much slop to let Hakstol fall in love with. Unless Tampa absolutely blows Hextall away with an offer or we are able to trade Lehtera and Weise, we need to stay away from washed up players on bad contracts. Leave those roster spots for young players to prove they deserve to play in the NHL, and if they can't crap players can be had for very little in FA or trade.

Reactions: Jray42

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
According to Capfriendly, Ryan has a modified no movement; no trade clause in his contract. If so, in addition to everything that you traded to acquire EK/Ryan, you'd have to protect him in an expansion draft like Nashville had to do with Hartnell so you'd lose another good player at that point. The price for EK is just way too high in too many ways.

I thought the same, but a Senators fan on the main boards pointed out that the language in his contract makes him eligible for an ED. A quick Google search confirmed it.

Reactions: renberg

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I wish we could have dangled an incentive laden, max $, 1 year contract to Tavares.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
JVR - Tavares - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Weal

That would have made for a fun season, until the eventual injury and scramble to find cap room for a call up.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
TB gets EK they're the favorite the next few years, but when the Flyers are ascending in 2020 forward, they'll be just as talented and 3-4 years younger and deeper.
EK wasn't EK when he came into the NHL, it wasn't until his 3rd season that he became something special.
Same way a number of the Flyer top prospects will have taken it up a notch or two in the early 2020s.

uh huh

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The one reason to take on bad contracts for prospects is you can't move cap money forward, so by doing this you accumulate assets with the cap money you can't save, allowing you to then use those assets to reshape the roster and move out veterans with large cap hits if necessary down the road (i.e. eat $5M for a prospect this year, and trade another prospect/draft pick in 3 years to move out some veteran contract or as part of a trade for an elite player where the cap needs to be manipulated to make room).

What else are we going to buy with our cap room this year, and can we find an expensive FA who'll sign a 2-3 year deal next year.
Because right how we're front loaded with cap room, but when the RFAs, and then the extensions (Couts, Ghost) become due, we may be cap strapped.

Reactions: Norze and mdm815

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
It is not 100% about unused cap room. It is about not weighing down the roster with shit players who will certainly see playing time. Having Callahan, Lehtera and Weise as options for Hakstol to play together is just a disastrous situation. Let younger unproven players get a chance to show they belong or at least get an idea of what they need to work on to play in the NHL.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Adding a guy like Raddysh just means it's another body to try and fight it out for bottom 6 minutes the next 4 years. We have lots of other guys to do that with. No need anymore to take on cap dumps. Keep the space open and see what happens thru the year. Someone could come available unexpectedly that Hextall could want.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You can never have too many good prospects. Raddysh would be worth the cap dump but they didn’t move him in a deal for McDonagh so I doubt that’d do it in this hypothetical.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Ehh I’m in the boat of if a short dump acquires a piece, you do it. Raddysh might not be a player for us but he’s a trade chip in a year or two to acquire a player who is a piece moving forward. All for the low cost of money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad