Next 2018 Actual Off-Season Thread

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Guys, why tf would the Sens take any deal where a good young player with the potential to be great is not coming back?

I'm seeing all these garbage proposals with two of our 2nd tier prospects, a first, and a second. Ottawa laighs at that. MAYBE they don't if Ryan is coming back at zero salary retained.

I've said this before. Real life is not based on trade value bars like in NHL 18 where you can pile in 3 B rated prospects and end up fleecing a team because the combined trade value satisfies the algorithm.

Ottawa is going to ask for Ghost + one of our top 5 prospects + 1st + 2nd. Hextall might counter with Konecny as the centerpiece with picks and a B prospect. When ottawa insists on adding one of our best prospects instead of a B rated one, Hextall will decline.

Karlsson isn't going to be traded here. We have a poor man's Karlsson in Ghost and are finally getting to that sweet spot that legit contenders need to be in where they have some nice contributors on ELC/cheapish bridge deals. Those are the most valuable trade chips in the league and the type of player(s) ottawa would target. No use upsetting that to bring in an aging huge contract coming off surgery where half his ankle was taken away and another serious Achilles injury. Especially when that move, looking at an offensive talent in ghost who is 3 years younger. At best, Karlsson is only marginally worth 6 mil more.

Not worth.

come on man, you really think our depth player prospects are not replaceable? you can get them in fa just as much as the cost with little value, the point of these assets is to move them to improve your team, if you think these prospects are going to be superstars down the line, you are so out of touch. they are not made for stars, they are made for depth, that's all it is. if ottawa likes our prospects it's because they want them for depth because they are rebuilding, they dont look at them as stars, the only great players they are getting is a top 5 player and it has to fall for their lap.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
come on man, you really think our depth player prospects are not replaceable? you can get them in fa just as much as the cost with little value, the point of these assets is to move them to improve your team, if you think these prospects are going to be superstars down the line, you are so out of touch. they are not made for stars, they are made for depth, that's all it is. if ottawa likes our prospects it's because they want them for depth because they are rebuilding, they dont look at them as stars, the only great players they are getting is a top 5 player and it has to fall for their lap.
You're right. That's totally what I meant when I said Ottawa would never accept a proposal where B level prospects are dumped in. You got me. I am very out of touch, thank you.

Farabee, Sanhiem, Myers, Frost, Hart, Allison. Those are the prospects they would want. Those players are blue chip prospects which hardly ever are traded because they do, in fact, have the potential to be stars. Blue chip prospects are not "depth" prospects.

I think you should probably re-read my post because it seems like you totally missed my point.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
EK could do a lot to upgrade the Flyers defense. Having a veteran presence like him on the blue line would be a great help. The problem is the cost like many of you have posted.
Hextall should walk away if the deal means taking on Ryan.
The big issue is as others have pointed out-is EK that much better than Ghost that he's worth the payout in money and players to obtain? Then there also is the concerns about his ankle problems long term. In the end, I hope that Hexy just passes on EK. Good defensemen are hard to find. Better to grow your own if you have a chance and with what the Flyers have in the pipeline, just stick with the process.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I would give up a lot for Karlsson. Just penciling him into our line up...the next 3-4 years would give us a way better shot at winning a cup than just staying the course would be 5 years from now. I still dont think anyone in our system will be as good as G, Voracek, and Couts are now so I would rather try to win with those guys in their prime.

A top 6 of G, Voracek, Couts, Patrick, JVR, and TK with a top 4 of Provy, Ghost, EK, and Sanheim (assuming we trade Myers)...are you kidding me? What other team would be throwing out a Hart, Selke, and Norris finalist every night?? Imagine Ghost AND EK on the 1st pp unit? With Gs play making and JVR + Patrick around the net?? Even Hakstol cant F that up.

The best part would be we would still have enough prospects to fill out a real nice bottom 6 and bottom D pair. The obvious need would still be goaltending, but if MFL got us to a final I am sure what we have would be enough. Obviously as Hart develops he would make this team even better.

The longer the Tampa trade talks go on, the more chance Hexy has to swoop in and blow them away with an offer. I would avoid trading roster players...but any prospect not named Hart I would be willing to trade. Yes, I would trade Frost (I would try to avoid it but if that was the deal breaker I would include him). I just get chills thinking about having this guy in our line up next year. It would probably the most excited I have ever been as a Flyers fan to start a season.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You're right. That's totally what I meant when I said Ottawa would never accept a proposal where B level prospects are dumped in. You got me. I am very out of touch, thank you.

Farabee, Sanhiem, Myers, Frost, Hart, Allison. Those are the prospects they would want. Those players are blue chip prospects which hardly ever are traded because they do, in fact, have the potential to be stars. Blue chip prospects are not "depth" prospects.

I think you should probably re-read my post because it seems like you totally missed my point.
That's his trademark. He doesn't have a clue what you said because he decides to make up your argument in his head... that way he can act outraged and pretend you're being unreasonable.

Like how others saying a certain trade was bad somehow went through his filter and became "nobody can ever be added from the outside and we're only allowed to build a team through drafting".

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
EK could do a lot to upgrade the Flyers defense. Having a veteran presence like him on the blue line would be a great help. The problem is the cost like many of you have posted.
Hextall should walk away if the deal means taking on Ryan.
The big issue is as others have pointed out-is EK that much better than Ghost that he's worth the payout in money and players to obtain? Then there also is the concerns about his ankle problems long term. In the end, I hope that Hexy just passes on EK. Good defensemen are hard to find. Better to grow your own if you have a chance and with what the Flyers have in the pipeline, just stick with the process.

Melnyk is really running that team into the ground. I just kind of feel bad for Dorion.

If the rumors are true that Ryan has to be attached to any EK trade you are basically killing whatever return you could possibly get.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
That's his trademark. He doesn't have a clue what you said because he decides to make up your argument in his head... that way he can act outraged and pretend you're being unreasonable.

Like how others saying a certain trade was bad somehow went through his filter and became "nobody can ever be added from the outside and we're only allowed to build a team through drafting".
Love it

Reactions: Striiker

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I understand the karlson infatuation. Its rare that a player that good becomes available but i wouldn't go as far as to call him a generational player. Though im right now going to say karlson ghost could be the malkin crosby of ppqb. I don't see him moving unless the deal involves something truly painful to part with. Myers + frost etc he's not going to be had for typical rental prices. Ghost + rubstov would probably be fair value but losing ghost takes alot of shine off the acquisition. I expect hextall to do his due diligence but i don't expect him to veer off course. Particularly in light of the doughty deal which i expect karlson to cost more in cap as well as the assets to acquire him

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I understand the karlson infatuation. Its rare that a player that good becomes available but i wouldn't go as far as to call him a generational player. Though im right now going to say karlson ghost could be the malkin crosby of ppqb. I don't see him moving unless the deal involves something truly painful to part with. Myers + frost etc he's not going to be had for typical rental prices. Ghost + rubstov would probably be fair value but losing ghost takes alot of shine off the acquisition. I expect hextall to do his due diligence but i don't expect him to veer off course. Particularly in light of the doughty deal which i expect karlson to cost more in cap as well as the assets to acquire him

I used to think EK was overrated. I thought of him as just a glorified 4th forward on the ice. I jumped on the Sens bandwagon in the 2017 playoffs while the were beating all our rivals...and that was the first time I really got to watch him regularly. The impact he has on the game is unquestionable. He controls the play and he can change the game at any moment. He was always the best player on the ice...even going up against Crosby and Malkin. He is a generational talent IMO...which is why Id be willing to give a lot up for him. Ghost has similar offensive abilities, but hes a long way away from doing the things EK does.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm seeing all these garbage proposals with two of our 2nd tier prospects, a first, and a second. Ottawa laighs at that. MAYBE they don't if Ryan is coming back at zero salary retained.

I've said this before. Real life is not based on trade value bars like in NHL 18 where you can pile in 3 B rated prospects and end up fleecing a team because the combined trade value satisfies the algorithm.

Sounds like you’d dig the trade forum.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Like every other big name traded in the last year, I would bet on this return being more quantity than quality. Something like a young NHL roster player, one or 2 depth players to offset salary, a good prospect but not a team's best, a 1st next year, and a conditional 2nd the following year.

Reactions: Norze and Rebels57

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
There can't be many teams able to take on Ryan so if Hextall picks up the phone and says that the Flyers can figure out a way to take him in on a trade then that would put us right towards the top of the teams getting him. I am back and forth on Ryan though, it would be nice to get EK to make us contenders right away but that Ryan contract would hurt us long-term.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Like every other big name traded in the last year, I would bet on this return being more quantity than quality. Something like a young NHL roster player, one or 2 depth players to offset salary, a good prospect but not a team's best, a 1st next year, and a conditional 2nd the following year.

Exactly how I see it, which is what piques my interest. There's no way they're getting a Ghost-level player in the deal.

You might be able to steal Erik Karlsson, at least for a year, and it really might not cost much more than the average TDL rental, plus taking on Bobby Ryan's contract, which is the only thing that would put the breaks on for me. Still, if we can make that work...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
OK, so I've been away on vacation for a week, was there not a "Confirmed signing Flyers sign JVR" thread? Interested to catch up on that conversation. Personally, I think it was a dumb move to draft another top 6 LW candidate, and have several others like Ratcliffe , Rubstov, along with all the other good young F prospects. We don't really need JVR's weak 2-way play. It means Simmonds really needs to go, but I guess that can wait for the right offer, or until he turns down Hexy's offer. Anyway, at least he didn't give him a NMC/NTC, so, like Voracek, he can trade him if he wants to at some point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I used to think EK was overrated. I thought of him as just a glorified 4th forward on the ice. I jumped on the Sens bandwagon in the 2017 playoffs while the were beating all our rivals...and that was the first time I really got to watch him regularly. The impact he has on the game is unquestionable. He controls the play and he can change the game at any moment. He was always the best player on the ice...even going up against Crosby and Malkin. He is a generational talent IMO...which is why Id be willing to give a lot up for him. Ghost has similar offensive abilities, but hes a long way away from doing the things EK does.

EK is good but there's a good reason he'll probably land in TB and not here.

Last five years TB has lost once in the SC playoffs, and twice in the CF. Their time is NOW.
They're not an old team, but most of their top players are 25-29 years old next season, in their prime seasons.
Kucherov (25), Stamkos (28), Point (22), Gourde (27), Johnson (28), Namestnikov (26), Palat (27), Miller (25), Killorn (29)
Hedman (28), McDonagh (29), Stralman (32), Dotchin (24), Koekkoek (24)
Vasilevsky (24) in goal

Only really young players are Cirelli (21) and Sergachev (20).
Taylor Raddysh (20), Foote D (19), Brett Howden (20) are their best prospects not in the NHL. Gets a little thin after that.

So it makes sense for TB to roll the dice and try to win a Cup in the next 3-4 years before too many players start to decline and/or become too expensive.
If EK breaks down in year 5 or 6 of his new deal, but they win a Cup or two, begin the rebuild!

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If you took Ryan’s contract & didn’t extend Karlsson that would be a massive failure.

It's definitely a gamble with the distinct possibility of blowing up in your face, but if you're essentially just swapping out Weise & A-Mac for Ryan (for two years) and you're only giving up a first, a B prospect and/or young roster player (step right up, Robert Hagg) and a conditional pick for Karlsson if he re-signs?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's definitely a gamble with the distinct possibility of blowing up in your face, but if you're essentially just swapping out Weise & A-Mac for Ryan (for two years) and you're only giving up a first, a B prospect and/or young roster player (step right up, Robert Hagg) and a conditional pick for Karlsson if he re-signs?

I honestly don’t care about MacDonald & Weise. I’m totally content with waiting out their contracts to expire. They’re here two more years tops. Ryan could be here longer than that & very well could trend to Filppula territory.

I don’t want Bobby Ryan’s contract period. It’s one of the worst contracts in the league.

If you couldn’t re-sign Karlsson regardless of whatever reason you’d be the first team that Melynk & Dorion swindled.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
EK is good but there's a good reason he'll probably land in TB and not here.

Last five years TB has lost once in the SC playoffs, and twice in the CF. Their time is NOW.
They're not an old team, but most of their top players are 25-29 years old next season, in their prime seasons.
Kucherov (25), Stamkos (28), Point (22), Gourde (27), Johnson (28), Namestnikov (26), Palat (27), Miller (25), Killorn (29)
Hedman (28), McDonagh (29), Stralman (32), Dotchin (24), Koekkoek (24)
Vasilevsky (24) in goal

Only really young players are Cirelli (21) and Sergachev (20).
Taylor Raddysh (20), Foote D (19), Brett Howden (20) are their best prospects not in the NHL. Gets a little thin after that.

So it makes sense for TB to roll the dice and try to win a Cup in the next 3-4 years before too many players start to decline and/or become too expensive.
If EK breaks down in year 5 or 6 of his new deal, but they win a Cup or two, begin the rebuild!

that's the problem they are not old, if they get ek, your building through the draft dream strategy with the flyers goes out the window because you got a least 10 years to reach the finals, if the flyers have to go through them. if the flyers somehow get ek they will shorten the window for them to become contenders.
you cant hope that tampa gets him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad