Newsday: Offer Almost Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
bp13 said:
Point well taken KPD. However, the one thing to note is that if talks get revived thanks to a groundswell of player frustration, it's a good indication that the "greed and stupidity that ruled the union at the very moment it needed reason" was being directed by one man, the head of the union. If the players, as THE UNION, get this deal done, we'll know that the stubborn lunacy displayed the NHLPA in recent weeks was largely the result of Goodenow's influence. Not that that doesn't still fall down on the players, but we are talking about hockey players here. This isn't a Mensa International group.

Beeps -- No argument here. But I think it's important to keep in mind that the players choose their exec council (counsel? console?), and they do that to have a voice, and a range of opinions--not just in times of peace, but especially in times of very hard decisions. Yes, Goodenow and Saskin lead the parade, but union members have to realize, it's imperative for them to make their voice known. Maybe now they realize, it's not just nod your head, and collect your check every two weeks. It's important to be engaged. Your welfare may one day depend on it.

kpd/hoh

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
hubofhockey said:
Beeps -- No argument here. But I think it's important to keep in mind that the players choose their exec council (counsel? console?), and they do that to have a voice, and a range of opinions--not just in times of peace, but especially in times of very hard decisions. Yes, Goodenow and Saskin lead the parade, but union members have to realize, it's imperative for them to make their voice known. Maybe now they realize, it's not just nod your head, and collect your check every two weeks. It's important to be engaged. Your welfare may one day depend on it.

kpd/hoh

That's exactly what I was saying with the Mensa Club reference. It's prevalent in many unions outside of pro sports as well. Folks tend to go along with the powers that be like sheep, and it often gets them in trouble. I'm not proclaiming to be any smarter than the average NHL player, but seems to me if my union head was obviously at odds with the opposition's, I'd be upset. The entire nature of their relationship is negotiation, and those things can't get personal. Further, if you're going to back off a stance you held for months on end, thereby compromising your principles, you better KNOW it's going to lead to a deal. IMO Goodenow just flat out failed his union. Plain and simple. Though that union deserves the blame for putting him in a position to do so as well.

SENSible1*

futurcorerock said:
Ofcourse he's saying that... they dont want to mess this up. Mike Modano also said he was disenfranchised by Bob Goodenow too. Is the union so solid now that Yzerman, Sakic, and Modano have dissented to a degree?

Optimism is the new fad and you're obviously not being cliché

Worthy of note is the CALIBRE of player who are now questioning Goodenow's tactics.

Tom B spent countless keystrokes proclaiming that the PA was solid, unlike the NBAPA, because the "stars won't sell out the average joe." Sure looks like Tom was as accurate in this assessment as he was in his view that the old CBA was a brilliant framework.

Speaking of Tom, has anyone seen the likes of Tom, Bicycle Repairman, and DR or did they vanish from the face of the earth?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
I don't have time go go through this whole thread. The only PA member I knew was being genuine was Esche...

Can someone summarize what Madano, Yzerman, and Sakic said?

Modano's was most interesting. from another thread..

When asked if Goodenow had the support of the union, Modano replied, "I don't know, I don't know. I'm not sure."

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
FOXSports is now picking up on the rumor...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3402576

But in all fairness they could just be replaying what they have been hearing throughout the night like us, but this part here:

The Hockey News cited sources that said Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux were trying to work together to get a deal done. Gretzky said he talked to Lemieux, but downplayed the significance of their discussion.

"To say Mario and I had a conversation to stir up the conversations and talks again, that's just not true," Gretzky said on the Fan 590 in Toronto.

If they were playing a big part of trying to get a deal done, maybe it's best that they try to keep it in a low profile way.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Speaking of Tom, has anyone seen the likes of Tom, Bicycle Repairman, and DR or did they vanish from the face of the earth?

I believe their parents disconnected their internet accesses after they found out what they have been posting here.

Also I could list BRG, scaredsensfan, Wild GM and westcoaster who have gone MIA since NHLPA fell apart.

They were werong and they know it.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
The FAN590, the Cybil fo sports radio, is now reporting on some of the major newspapers and the continued rumors. They said the LA times is reporting that "well placed sources" are saying that Linden and Mike Gartner met with Bettman yesterday to see if this could be salvaged. I kinda doubt that could have happened, but who knows.

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
I don't have time go go through this whole thread. The only PA member I knew was being genuine was Esche...

Can someone summarize what Madano, Yzerman, and Sakic said?
Essentially they said nothing while trying to say nothing which then implied that something has been going on with somebody. So nothing is something, but if they had said something we would be certain there was nothing.

If there are talks going on (my guess is for certain, its tough to leave $1B+ sitting there on the table just because life isn't fair and Goodenow's ego can't stand losing), then both sides want to keep things quiet, since breaking fans hearts twice in one week would be too much for our fragile health systems. Instead they will quietly try to reach a tentative deal, and then the players will vote quietly on it somehow. Since nothing remains quiet, if we don't get a leak about a player vote within 48 hours this is done like toast. Of course they may just sneak it all through and the next we know there's one big happy press conference, with Goodenow looking like he's been blind sided by a Zamboni.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
HoCkeYfAnAtiC30 said:
Here in Detroit...Gary Bettman was on 1130 the fan and I listened to the whole thing. He was saying that he didn't plan to not have a season and that he doesn't want to break the union. He was asked by WOJO like a million times if the season was really done, and Bettman was saying what he said yesterday that if today or the next couple days the PA would come to him and ask for that 42 offer again and that they'd accept it that he'd gladly have another press conference to uncancel the season. They also were asking him what would he have done if they asked him for 45 mil, and he says "They should of asked, and then we would of went from there" basically he said the same thing from yetserdays conference which goes to show it's all Bob Goodenows fault and he should rot in hell. These rumblings about the players and that they'd accept the cap well DAMN if u hear the commish saying he'd uncancel the season why sit there and do nothing if ur really that pissed off with ur own head of the union and that u guys actually want to play...makes no sense. Im not saying anything is going to happen, but it sure as hell was nice of Bettman (even though I can't stand him) to say he'd gladly uncancel the season if the PA does something about it.
I am in no way a booster of Bob Goodenow, but I don't see why he is to blame. He is simply in charge, but I highly doubt he is making the final decisions. I believe the blame should fall squarely on the shoulders of those on the NHLPA executive commitee, because they were elected on behalf of the players to act in their best interests and clearly they have not in refusing to deal with Bettman's cap offer of two days ago. They are all in the twilight of their careers and are therefore beiing very shortsighted. The truth is the players are not going to get a better offer, infact with every passing day they will get less.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Thunderstruck said:
Many PA supporters would rather see the season cancelled than have the PA cave.

The owner devotees outnumber the PA devotees on this board about 30 to 1, and they outnumber folks like me who are disgusted with both sides about 10 to 1. And almost all of the people who openly celebrated the cancellation of the season because they didn't want to see their side make any concessions are the owner devotees.

Brent Burns Beard