Newsday: Offer Almost Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
I would agree if not for the timing of it. It came at what, 2 am or something like that, with the deadline looming at 11 am, and after a 'final offer.' If you are going to offer again despite the 'final offer' that is not the time to play games, that is the time to basically lay the cards on the table. Or am I wrong?

No, you're right. The only thing is, I highly doubt Goodenow saw it as a real final offer, and I doubt he thought Bettman would go through with the cancellation considering they were down to numbers.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
kenabnrmal said:
Could be seen as playing games, or "expanding the pie". More negotiating points. Another thing they can ultimately give up to give the appearance of "concessions".

With the season being "formally" cancelled more than 36 hours ago, and the elastic of even a shortened season at it's extreme breaking point, negotiations realistically can't be a part of this. Too late for that right now; it's either one or done for this season.

In terms of play for next season, they could of course. In that event, my hopes are that they do go against the logical perception of not negotiating in what you could call a "down" time. And if the miracle to save this season does not come through, I can actually see both sides pressured enough to at least have significant talks to revive hockey next year. With the myriad of uncertainty surronding this dispute, I believe it's possible to see a few surprising events pop up in the coming months.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
cw7 said:
With the season being "formally" cancelled more than 36 hours ago, and the elastic of even a shortened season at it's extreme breaking point, negotiations realistically can't be a part of this. Too late for that right now; it's either one or done for this season.

I agree, kinda. I was talking in retrospect.

rwilson99

getnziggywidit said:
Here it is:
7. Indexing of Tax Rates and Payroll Minimums & Maximums All dollar amounts would be in place for 2004-05 (pro-rated) and 2005-06. Dollar levels for tax rates, payroll minimums & maximums for subsequent years either constant or increased by % change in greater of either hockey related revenues or only the gate receipts and broadcasting segments of hockey related revenues from the 2005-06 base year.

It says, if league revenues go up, the cap goes up.

We all thought the PA didn't want linkage, but, from this we see that they only want linkage if revenues go up.

They want 0 risk and all reward.

Sorry, if the PA wants to be partners they have to be partners in good times and bad. They have to take the risks if they want the rewards.

You forgot the kicker. The 49M was indexed to 05-06 revenue, which could have resulted in a salary cap linked to 75%-100% of league revenues quite quickly.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
kenabnrmal said:
I agree, kinda. I was talking in retrospect.

I'm in a bit of ranting mood, so I extrapolated more than I should have. My bad.

In kinder times...

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Is this semi-coup by these players even legal? Can they present an offer to the league without having it go through Goodenow?

Even if this rumor is false, yet the concept that players are collectively trying to make a deal how would this process even work? The group of players come up with an offer, the owners say yes and then ALL the players vote or something. I don't know it all seems very time comsuming and impossible to be done within time for a season now. The draft yes, season not likely.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
you know, this is exciting and all...i mean...who would have thought?

but at the same time, i kind of hate myself for getting roped in again. i try not to, but it's IMPOSSIBLE. i'm licking my chops at the thought of even a 20 game season. The old Klingon adage comes to mind...."Fool me once..." and yet here I am, fooled for the tenth or so time. Let's hope it's shame on someone else, this time.

leafaholix*

nomorekids said:

but at the same time, i kind of hate myself for getting roped in again. i try not to, but it's IMPOSSIBLE. i'm licking my chops at the thought of even a 20 game season. The old Klingon adage comes to mind...."Fool me once..." and yet here I am, fooled for the tenth or so time. Let's hope it's shame on someone else, this time.
You mean this adage.

leafaholix*

mudcrutch79 said:
Was it live?
Yeah, ESPN late night with Todd Wright... on the Fan 590.

They were both very optimistic because of Gretzky getting involved, as well as Lemieux and Yzerman. Hradek said we may hear something within the next 24 hours.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Well.. as they say..

Fools love company...

oh.. wait..

never mind

what the HELL is going on here.... Steve Y. says yes... TSN says no....but Burke says it might happen, but that it is unlikely..... Several players are noticably split from the union.. but the union is "strong".... The Hockey news reports Gretz and Mario are behind the movement..then Wayne goes against that.... ESPN well.. they continue to be ESPN... Gary and Daily say there is still an opening.. however small... Bob and Ted say its over, no doubt....

:lol

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
If you go to the Fan590 website you can listen to Gretzky on Bob McCown from this afternoon

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Carl O'Steen said:
Yeah, ESPN late night with Todd Wright... on the Fan 590.

They were both very optimistic because of Gretzky getting involved, as well as Lemieux and Yzerman. Hradek said we may hear something within the next 24 hours.

they obviously aren't keeping up to date with the latest rumors or else they'd specifically state that Gretzky was bluffing when he talked to mccown today.. its a possibility but I doubt it... Lemieux and Yzerman are more likely to do something however, they haven't seemed to shy away from making something happen, but again, its just pure speculation at this point

leafaholix*

bcrt2000 said:
they obviously aren't keeping up to date with the latest rumors or else they'd specifically state that Gretzky was bluffing when he talked to mccowan today.. its a possibility but I doubt it... Lemieux and Yzerman are more likely to do something however, they haven't seemed to shy away from making something happen, but again, its just pure speculation at this point
They mentioned his interviews on Canadian radio and TV stations... and him denying the rumours.

But, you think Wayne's going to admit to this?

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Carl O'Steen said:
They mentioned his interviews on Canadian radio and TV stations... and him denying the rumours.

But, you think Wayne's going to admit to this?

thats true, Wayne would never admit to it, and the other thing that you could say that would support this rumor is the fact that Gretzky seemed willing to get on the fan to deny it, because if he didn't, maybe some hardline owners would come head hunting

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lou is God said:
Cancellation aftermath

Not true, says the Great One.

"I did talk to Mario today," Gretzky told the Fan 590 all-sports radio station in Toronto. "I had a brief conversation about pretty much what everyone else is talking about, can we believe we're in the situation we're in. Nobody understands why we're in this situation. Nobody has the answer to how we got here or how we're going to get out of here.

"To say Mario and I had a conversation to try to stir up the conversations and talks again, that's just not true."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050217_194959_5528

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
nomorekids said:

If there is a vague hint of credibility that this season has a chance, I'll listen. Deep down, I know that it's just wishful thinking and that it has only the very slightest chance in hell. Don't care about that. Throw me a bone, I'll bite.

We are setting ourselves up for disappointment, again and again it seems. As hurtful as it always is, I for one won't stop. Call me a masochist. As a fanatic of the sport who has lived his whole life in places that almost always shun hockey, it's not that much of a stretch for me personally.

After the Flames left from the owners' financial problems (not the failure of the city as some think), I and many others went two decades without the NHL. And we only had an IHL team for a handful of years to placate our need for hockey. We're already masochists, having some hope in this isn't a strech for us.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
cw7 said:
If there is a vague hint of credibility that this season has a chance, I'll listen. Deep down, I know that it's just wishful thinking and that it has only the very slightest chance in hell. Don't care about that. Throw me a bone, I'll bite.

We are setting ourselves up for disappointment, again and again it seems. As hurtful as it always is, I for one won't stop. Call me a masochist. As a fanatic of the sport who has lived his whole life in places that almost always shun hockey, it's not that much of a stretch for me personally.

After the Flames left from the owners' financial problems (not the failure of the city as some think), I and many others went two decades without the NHL. And we only had an IHL team for a handful of years to placate our need for hockey. We're already masochists, having some hope in this isn't a strech for us.
This may end your Hope

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050217_194959_5528

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
nomorekids said:

I keep telling myself there is no hope, then coming back to the boards in hopes that a thread like this very one will exist. If I wake up tomorrow to an NHL season, I swear my heart will explode from the excitement.

And i'm a _caps_fan for christs sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad