Newsday: Offer Almost Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Bettman mentioned it as one of the reasons that they were not as close as some thought.

Yeah, I knew that yesterday. I woke up today trying to forget the whole thing ever happened.

I'm pretty sure that little stipulation would fall off pretty quickly in any sort of "typical negotiation"...not that that ever took place.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
kenabnrmal said:
Well, isn't that a clever little ******* of a point...

Sorry if you noticed this already, but did you notice how the 2005-06 season would be the base for the % increases. Say the revenues drop by 30% for the next season, that would be the base. If the revenues increased the very next year back to the original amount of $2.2 billion or whatever it is, that means the cap goes up. The more it drops next year, the more it will go up in the future. The devil is in the details, but I seem to think the devil comes from the guy holding the pen writing the details.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
I'm concerned that (again, if any of this stuff about a new proposal is true) that the PA WILL give their proposal WITH item #7, have the hard cap at what the NHL offered in their last proposal, and expect the NHL to take it.
When the NHL doesn't bite because of #7, everyone will wonder "why isn't the NHL taking this offer, the PA is accepting the NHLs last offer of a $42.5M cap!?"
We'll see.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kerrly said:
Sorry if you noticed this already, but did you notice how the 2005-06 season would be the base for the % increases. Say the revenues drop by 30% for the next season, that would be the base. If the revenues increased the very next year back to the original amount of $2.2 billion or whatever it is, that means the cap goes up. The more it drops next year, the more it will go up in the future. The devil is in the details, but I seem to think the devil comes from the guy holding the pen writing the details.

Yup, left that out of my cliff's notes version, and it makes it even worse. Kind of a 'screw you' coming as it did out of the blue for the first time as part of the response to the NHL's final offer, with no time left to really negotiate or raise a fuss about it. Bringing it in with literally hours left before the season shut down gave the finger to not only the NHL but the fans too. That was no time to get cute or play games.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
So the cap could go up... But if 8 teams hit that cap, doesn't it reset to 42 million? No?

Doesn't sound that bad.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
saillias said:
So the cap could go up... But if 8 teams hit that cap, doesn't it reset to 42 million? No?

Doesn't sound that bad.

That was not in the NHLPA final offer. I think that I saw something about that in the alleged offer that was post season cancellation, but slightly different, something like $46 million Cap, falling to $42 M. if 8 teams reach $46 M., the one the Union just denied in no uncertain terms in USA Today.

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
That was in the NHLPA final offer? I think that I saw something about that in the alleged offer that was post season cancellation, the one the Uinion just denied in no uncertain terms in USA Today.

I believe the Newsday story emphasized that the offer being planned wasn't being done under the auspices of the PA, so it's not particularly surprising that Ted Saskin would downplay it. If the Newsday story has any legs, Saskin isn't involved.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Yup, left that out of my cliff's notes version, and it makes it even worse. Kind of a 'screw you' coming as it did out of the blue for the first time as part of the response to the NHL's final offer, with no time left to really negotiate or raise a fuss about it. Bringing it in with literally hours left before the season shut down gave the finger to not only the NHL but the fans too. That was no time to get cute or play games.

Could be seen as playing games, or "expanding the pie". More negotiating points. Another thing they can ultimately give up to give the appearance of "concessions".

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
saillias said:

Doesn't sound that bad.

saillias, the one we are talking about is the offer Goodenow made late the night before the cancellation when he and Bettman were exchanging the letters. The one with a $49 million soft cap and a luxury tax in it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
kenabnrmal said:
Could be seen as playing games, or "expanding the pie". More negotiating points. Another thing they can ultimately give up to give the appearance of "concessions".

I would agree if not for the timing of it. It came at what, 2 am or something like that, with the deadline looming at 11 am, and after a 'final offer.' If you are going to offer again despite the 'final offer' that is not the time to play games, that is the time to basically lay the cards on the table. Or am I wrong?

X0ssbar

To combat section #7 I could see the NHL throwing the PA a bone and saying that we will work under a 42 - 45 million cap with some luxury tax provisions until our revenues reach last year's level - at that point we can switch to a negotiated percentage based (anywhere from 55-60%) system and the cap will be based off of that figure.

The NHL will take a hit early in the agreement but they were prepared for that when they made their 42.5 million offer anyways. This way the NHL gets its linked percentage eventually, the player's hit will be negligible early and the cap should continue to grow once revenues reach that 2.1 billion figure of last year.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Can somebody kill this cockroach all ready. or do we have to give it its 8 days to live?

But one way or another i won't buy Hockey tickets for 2 seasons at least and i will instead spend my money on the CFL

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Top Shelf said:
To combat section #7 I could see the NHL throwing the PA a bone and saying that we will work under a 42 - 45 million cap with some luxury tax provisions until our revenues reach last year's level - at that point we can switch to a negotiated percentage based (anywhere from 55-60%) system and the cap will be based off of that figure.

The NHL will take a hit early in the agreement but they were prepared for that when they made their 42.5 million offer anyways. This way the NHL gets its linked percentage eventually, the player's hit will be negligible early and the cap should continue to grow once revenues reach that 2.1 billion figure of last year.

No way in hell. The owners either get linkage BOTH ways or none at all. I am guessing the owners hope in the non-linked $42 million offer was to make it up the final 4 years if revenues grew above the current $2.1 billion. Perhaps a pipe dream, but a chance they were apparantly willing to take to get a deal before cancelling the season. You want to give the players what they asked for, which is no risk, but all potential gain. Screw them for even asking.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
xtra said:
Can somebody kill this cockroach all ready. or do we have to give it its 8 days to live?

But one way or another i won't buy Hockey tickets for 2 seasons at least and i will instead spend my money on the CFL
Fine, it will be you who is suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce