Newsday: Offer Almost Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jean Beliveau said:
Why do you have to be so pessimistic about the mere possibility of a deal?

All of you who have given up are just sheeps blindly following the media.
"This is not being done with the union," the source said.

It is not known whether the group will first approach NHL Players Association executive director Bob Goodenow to see if he will agree to present it to the league.

If not, the group might circumvent Goodenow and offer it directly to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. A source familiar with labor negotiations said such a "back channel" communication violates labor law

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don´t know the details and have only read the articals in Newsday and the Post. But I personally find it extremly unlikely that they will un-cancel the season. First of all there must be tons of questionsmarks just how that will work. I am mean there must be a ton of side-deals where the NHL have options for a labor dispute and the power to cancel a season. Well the NHL have used that option, can they now comeback to ESPN and all other parts and say you know what we now have a deal?

Second, I don´t know but just because allot of players are willing to take a cap, they can´t do so without the approval from the union.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The Messenger said:
"This is not being done with the union," the source said.

It is not known whether the group will first approach NHL Players Association executive director Bob Goodenow to see if he will agree to present it to the league.

If not, the group might circumvent Goodenow and offer it directly to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. A source familiar with labor negotiations said such a "back channel" communication violates labor law

:shakehead

Why don't you add the last part of that sentence...violates labor law but is a generally accepted tactic.

Man you have selective hearing/reading just like Goodenow and Saskin.

I'm not saying I think they will uncancel the season but at least quit taking things out of context and twisting them for your own agenda's.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tuggy said:
:shakehead

Why don't you add the last part of that sentence...violates labor law but is a generally accepted tactic.

Man you have selective hearing/reading just like Goodenow and Saskin.
Because "back channel" communication is the generally accepted tactic ..

NOT THE UNION END AROUND, its just a poorly worded sentance ..

Just like Trevor Linden did and called a meeting ..that is a back channel meeting ..
or
How determined was Leafs ownership to help broker a new collective bargaining agreement? Consider that MLSEL chairman Larry Tanenbaum recently held a get-together with Pittsburgh Penguins owner Mario Lemieux and Toronto forward Tie Domi in search of possible solutions.. that is back channel communication ..

But they can't go around the Union head or even the committee .. Those people are voted in and have the power to negotiate on behalf of the union ..

Players on their own have no authority to negotiate legal binding Collective Bargaining agreements .. They could draw up something on paper and email to Bettman .. but it would only be considered a suggestion .. at which time if it was a good option .. Bettman would give it to Goodenow as a proposal ..

If he accepted it (which he wouldn't in the first place) , he would have to then put it to the 730 members to vote on and would need a majority of players to accept the deal. So that means 370 or so NHL players would have to vote in favour of it ..and they will not be voting on anything unless the committee and Goodenow call for a vote .. Unions and negotiation have set rules .

10 guys can't get together in a room and save the NHL .. they could come up with suggestions and ideas but nothing more ..

The logical chain of command would be this player group to their Team Player Reps who would forward it to Linden and the Committee and on to Goodenow ..

This is as silly as a notion that the Big Martket Owners could get together and make one up agreeing to the 49 mil cap and giving it to Goodenow without Bettman involved ..

Last edited:

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
The Messenger said:
Because "back channel" communication is the generally accepted tatic ..

This is as silly as a notion that the Big Martket Owners could get together and make one up agreeing to the 49 mil cap and giving it to Goodenow without Bettman involved ..

Exactly how do you think the 1994 lockout ended? Start with big market owners and them working on a deal, without the commissioner. So the only silliness is that it would be a similar situation on the players' side this time.

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
Another article: Faction reportedly trying to save season

The players, who were not identified but were said to be prominent, have allegedly met to formulate an offer, thought to be a $45 million salary cap, to present to the Players' Association executive committee.

"We'd have to vote on this," Philadelphia Flyers captain Keith Primeau told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It would not fly unless this went through our executive committee. I've checked into these rumors myself. I have heard some names of who might be involved, and those names don't surprise me."

Thursday night, in an e-mail exchange with the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, NHL Executive Vice President Bill Daly was asked if the right deal were still presented, is there "any practical way to uncancel the season?"

"It may be tough to undo some of the transactions that have already occurred as a result of the season cancellation," Daly said. "But I'm not prepared to rule out anything at this point in time."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Bruins4419 said:
Key point being ...

"We'd have to vote on this," Philadelphia Flyers captain Keith Primeau told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It would not fly unless this went through our executive committee.

and the NHLPA committee President Trevor Linden said :

Asked if he thinks there are players working behind the scenes, NHLPA President Trevor Linden told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "I say it's absolutely not true, but guys are pretty shocked [we're not playing]. There is no chance that we will be presenting something to [the NHL].

Last edited:

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
la times article may require registration.

Key points:
Well-placed sources said Thursday that Gretzky, managing partner of the Phoenix Coyotes, and Lemieux, player-owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, spoke to Bettman in an effort to explore whether the season could be salvaged. Sources said Trevor Linden, president of the NHL Players' Assn., and Mike Gartner, the union's director of business relations, met with Bettman in New York on Thursday while players expressed concern about the failed negotiations to the union's Toronto office.

The activity, several sources said, might result in players pressuring union chief Bob Goodenow to propose a deal that would include a salary cap set from $45 million to $46 million, and a prohibitive luxury tax. The union's last offer, made on Tuesday, set the cap at $49 million; the NHL's final offer, also made Tuesday, was for a $42.5-million cap that wasn't linked to league-wide revenue.

Bettman and other NHL executives were contacted Thursday by a few owners who expressed anxiety about the economic damage a cancellation might cause. Bettman was said to be out of his New York office most of the day and unavailable for comment.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
One word sums up why this process is going to continue for a while PRIDE. The players will have to swallow it in a hurry and there is no chance that will happen. I suspect the owners are prepared for the long haul. They would never have agreed (as a group) to cancel a season unless they were looking at the long term impact. The players cannot "win" a battle of wills no matter the time period. It's a leverage game, as in 1994 when the players had it. Not this time. There is no expansion revenue on the horizon for the owners (unlike 1995), no TV contract (unlike 1995). There are probably a handful of owners who will be furious in the coming months, but their clout is gone. The NHLPA won't accept this reality and that is PRIDE. Had they been willing to accept a percentage of revenues (agreed upon by both sides or a outside firm) they could have used what leverage they may have had to get concessions from the league on benefit, pension, free agency and a myriad of other pressure points. Pride is a bad thing when you're in a losing battle. It really does only get worse for the players, and sadly the fans hard working people around the game.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Messenger said:
Key point being ...

"We'd have to vote on this," Philadelphia Flyers captain Keith Primeau told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "It would not fly unless this went through our executive committee.

Asked if he thinks there are players working behind the scenes, NHLPA President Trevor Linden told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "I say it's absolutely not true, but guys are pretty shocked [we're not playing]. There is no chance that we will be presenting something to [the NHL].

Ugh, I'm a Canucks fan and all this process has proven to me is that Linden is Goodenow's biatch. :banghead: He just repeats whatever he is told to say.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Does anyone else want to shoot the Messenger? :dunno:

If all this bothers you so much, STOP READING IT AND POST ELSWHERE!!

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
The Messenger said:
Key point being ...

Ofcourse he's saying that... they dont want to mess this up. Mike Modano also said he was disenfranchised by Bob Goodenow too. Is the union so solid now that Yzerman, Sakic, and Modano have dissented to a degree?

Optimism is the new fad and you're obviously not being cliché

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Can the moderators remove or lock this thread.How many threads do we need
saying the same thing and it's all garbage anyway.THE SEASON IS OVER!

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
pei fan said:
Can the moderators remove or lock this thread.How many threads do we need
saying the same thing and it's all garbage anyway.THE SEASON IS OVER!

Calm down Sunshine. In the world of labour negotiations, it ain't over EVEN when it's over...

SENSible1*

Jean Beliveau said:
Why do you have to be so pessimistic about the mere possibility of a deal?

All of you who have given up are just sheeps blindly following the media.

Many PA supporters would rather see the season cancelled than have the PA cave.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Ok so there is a stiff lux tax at 42-46m, is there still a lux tax at 36 or whatever the number was before hand?

If the players offer this to Bettman and he doesn't take it, then it would look like he really didn't want to get a season played.

Chilly Willy*

Thunderstruck said:

PA will cave, the owners are going to stick it through this. Goodenow also didn't do himself any favours when he said the levit (sp?) report wasn't accurate or whatever. The owners came out and said it themselves that the PA hasn't even asked them anything, i think Mario Lemieux even said that no one even asked what the team generated for revenue last season.

So to me, the NHLPA comes off as stupid, unorganized, childish and unprepared. They are just out to get Bettman fired and screw over the league. The NHLPA should realize that with a cap the NHL can see the teams being more fair and if the small market teams do well because of this, maybe thoughts of expansion might be thrown around. That means more players get to be in the NHL and more members for the NHLPA and thats more work for NHLPA members.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:

Get real. Its Feb 18th today and the people that are waiting for some kind of agreement and a reversal of the cancellation, are the same people who will be looking for the Easter bunny in April. The season is over, TURN THE PAGE.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
Get real. Its Feb 18th today and the people that are waiting for some kind of agreement and a reversal of the cancellation, are the same people who will be looking for the Easter bunny in April. The season is over, TURN THE PAGE.

And why is it that you're up at 8:00 in the morning scouring the Business of Hockey board for any shred of information ?

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
the fact will remain

There were at least a million ways to get clever about closing the gap betweeen $42.5 milion and $49 million -- either via crunching of the numbers to a middle ground, or via hammering away on the 5-6 most significant issues elsewhere in the CBA (to wit: arbitration, entry-level salaries, UFA age, the buyout clause).

And what did the Just-Say-No Players' Association do?

The JSNPA just said NO.

Lack of imagination. Lack of sincerity. Greed an stupidity ruled the union at the VERY MOMENT it needed reason, clarity and true intelligence.

No matter what happens from here, that will ALWAYS be the truth.

kpd/hoh

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A different players group can make all the offers they want. The executive board still has to approve it before the players can ratify it.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
hubofhockey said:
There were at least a million ways to get clever about closing the gap betweeen $42.5 milion and $49 million -- either via crunching of the numbers to a middle ground, or via hammering away on the 5-6 most significant issues elsewhere in the CBA (to wit: arbitration, entry-level salaries, UFA age, the buyout clause).

And what did the Just-Say-No Players' Association do?

The JSNPA just said NO.

Lack of imagination. Lack of sincerity. Greed an stupidity ruled the union at the VERY MOMENT it needed reason, clarity and true intelligence.

No matter what happens from here, that will ALWAYS be the truth.

kpd/hoh

Point well taken KPD. However, the one thing to note is that if talks get revived thanks to a groundswell of player frustration, it's a good indication that the "greed and stupidity that ruled the union at the very moment it needed reason" was being directed by one man, the head of the union. If the players, as THE UNION, get this deal done, we'll know that the stubborn lunacy displayed the NHLPA in recent weeks was largely the result of Goodenow's influence. Not that that doesn't still fall down on the players, but we are talking about hockey players here. This isn't a Mensa International group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad