News Article: News & Notes XXXII: Simply Having a Wonderful Canesmas Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If they actually finish the regular season, we might have "NCAA Tournament" style games for a few weeks, which would be fun. Games at PNC at 11am, 3pm, and 7pm.

To which I again bring up the point that we have trouble keeping decent ice for 3 periods, let alone 9.
I said this one early on, I think it would be great to do a tournament like this. Gets it all done quick and the order wouldn’t matter quite as much.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I can’t see them moving to the playoffs without the teams have played the same amount of games. Whether they play them all out or a handful just to get them to the same point you can’t stop until everyone has the same amount of games played. Basing not only the playoffs but a future draft pick off of current order is not fair to many teams.

If they cancel everything they can do draft order off of equal chances again which of course makes it a lot of fun.
Yeah, but I wonder if it will be possible to even it out with only playing the rest of the games inside division. Not to mention, some teams will end up getting favorable matchups playing some crap team more than they should have, or just having an easier or harder schedule than they were going to in general.

Whether going to the 68 roll back, points percentage, expanded playoffs, or some sort of weird regular season that finishes only in division, fair isn't going to be on the plate.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I can’t see them moving to the playoffs without the teams have played the same amount of games. Whether they play them all out or a handful just to get them to the same point you can’t stop until everyone has the same amount of games played. Basing not only the playoffs but a future draft pick off of current order is not fair to many teams.

If they cancel everything they can do draft order off of equal chances again which of course makes it a lot of fun.

Easier said than done. We have two games in hand on the Islanders... but what if the team we were supposed to play next already has played two more games than the rest of their division? Etc. Now put the equation together for 31 teams. Might be difficult to figure out, could actually be impossible to pick games from the current schedule in order to fix it unless they play all 82.

AHL does it by points percentage all the time. I could see the NHL doing the same, if it came to it. Sounds like they do want a conclusion to the regular season though, so they may do what you're saying.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I can't get onboard with the everyone has a chance lottery, even if we could end up with the #1 out of it. Season is 80% played out. This isn't a full on lost season scenario. There's no reality of this season where Boston or St Louis shouldn't be in the bottom 6-7 picks of the draft or that Detroit and Ottawa should be out of the top 5.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It seems to me that including all the bad teams who realistically have no Playoff chance in "finishing the regular season" (in some fashion) is an unnecessary risk. Why include those ~10 teams and their ~250 players to engage in games they don't care about after months of sitting around?

I'd favor either starting with the Playoffs or limiting the approximation of the rest of the season to teams in contention. Even better if they just limited those play-in games to teams on the bubble - although that presents the challenge of those bubble teams having a competitive advantage of playing games directly before the Playoffs.

Maybe Carolina, NYI, NYR, and Columbus battle it out for 2 Playoff spots in Raleigh in a tournament week while Washington, Philly, and Pittsburgh play a few exhibition games. Similarly Toronto and Florida battle it out for one spot while Boston and Tampa play a few games. The Western Conference is a little hairier but something like that could be worked out.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I can't get onboard with the everyone has a chance lottery, even if we could end up with the #1 out of it. Season is 80% played out. This isn't a full on lost season scenario. There's no reality of this season where Boston or St Louis shouldn't be in the bottom 6-7 picks of the draft or that Detroit and Ottawa should be out of the top 5.

If the season is eventually lost I like a lottery (top-3 only) where everyone is included - weighting based on points %, with the limitation that a team can only move up 15-20 spots or so. Boston and St Louis could still win and pick #10. The teams #10-20 who are separated by just 4 points can all move up significantly as it would be silly to have half of them in the Lafrenier sweepstakes and half out. Bottom teams still have a much higher chance of picking #1-3 as any team rank 15-20+ winning wouldn't move them at all.

Problem for the Canes is the doomsday scenario where both Toronto and Carolina win - handing NYR the #1-3 pick for Skjei. Or Toronto alone winning leaving the Canes with no 1st this year.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If the season is eventually lost I like a lottery (top-3 only) where everyone is included - weighting based on points %, with the limitation that a team can only move up 15-20 spots or so. Boston and St Louis could still win and pick #10. The teams #10-20 who are separated by just 4 points can all move up significantly as it would be silly to have half of them in the Lafrenier sweepstakes and half out. Bottom teams still have a much higher chance of picking #1-3 as any team rank 15-20+ winning wouldn't move them at all.

Problem for the Canes is the doomsday scenario where both Toronto and Carolina win - handing NYR the #1-3 pick for Skjei. Or Toronto alone winning leaving the Canes with no 1st this year.

I'd rather just hold a mini lottery for the 10 or so teams that have no realistic shot (didn't realize how far back Montreal was now) and then play on with the rest. Rangers don't like that they have no shot at #1? f*** you, shouldn't have gone out and signed Panarin then, you still get to play on for a shot even if it's remote.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Per LeBrun today - Raleigh is out of contention for being a Playoff site.

I don’t think Raleigh (practice facility not done being built) and Buffalo (situation in New York state with COVID-19) are on that list of 12 cities at the moment. I don’t think they ended up making the cut even though both organizations would have had interest in being involved.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Tony Toni Tone, please dedicate a song to this important day in franchise history (also game 5 against New Jersey in 2002 'Weekes save on Madden game' was also on this day)

Thank you Tony Toni Tone

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Not sure if already posted but Vinny Trockheck (you know who I mean) is doing AMA on Reddit. Interesting to see if there's any juicy Canes related discussion there.

Edit: New phone autocorrects English to Finnish, world record of typos fixed

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Not sure if already posted but Vinny Trockheck (you know who I mean) is doing AMA on Reddit. Interesting to see if there's any juicy Canes related discussion there.

Edit: New phone autocorrects English to Finnish, world record of typos fixed

Only thing of real note is that the rehab on his ankle injury was really long, and he forced the team to let him play before he was 100%, and that it's continuing to improve- which of course means that it's still not 100%. Other than that, not a whole lot said. Uses an 85 flex stick, hasn't had the chance to experience Raleigh much yet, treating quarantine like offseason in terms of workouts.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Not that it'd come as a huge surprise but I think this might be an expectation of no further games at PNC Arena. I just received an e-mail that the Canes will be doing a Storm Brew Clearance sale on 5/9. STMs have from 10-11 and it opens to the general public from 11 to 2. $15 cash for a 24-pack of 16-oz Storm Brews.

Reactions: DaveG

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Not that it'd come as a huge surprise but I think this might be an expectation of no further games at PNC Arena. I just received an e-mail that the Canes will be doing a Storm Brew Clearance sale on 5/9. STMs have from 10-11 and it opens to the general public from 11 to 2. $15 cash for a 24-pack of 16-oz Storm Brews.
Yep, I can't imagine a scenario where they reopen PNC to the public anytime soon. I know a certain local minor league baseball club isn't even expecting to have a season this year, or at least they weren't a few weeks ago.

On another note, does anybody actually like Storm Brew? I saw it was R&D, took a chance on a 12-pack, and completely hated it. Took me like 2 months to get through it. I can at least tolerate your average macro light beer, but this was worse than that. I want someone to tell me I got a bad batch, but it really seemed like that's how it was supposed to taste.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yep, I can't imagine a scenario where they reopen PNC to the public anytime soon. I know a certain local minor league baseball club isn't even expecting to have a season this year, or at least they weren't a few weeks ago.

On another note, does anybody actually like Storm Brew? I saw it was R&D, took a chance on a 12-pack, and completely hated it. Took me like 2 months to get through it. I can at least tolerate your average macro light beer, but this was worse than that. I want someone to tell me I got a bad batch, but it really seemed like that's how it was supposed to taste.

I don't mind it, but there's nothing remarkable about it for me and it wouldn't be my beer of choice. It seems to me that they were looking for a beer to appeal to the widest audiences.

Reactions: skipnjump

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

To me Storm Brew tastes like Bud Light with a hint of Stella Artois. Basically a slightly more palatable Bud* Light.

Last edited:
Reactions: garnetpalmetto

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I don't mind it, but there's nothing remarkable about it for me and it wouldn't be my beer of choice. It seems to me that they were looking for a beer to appeal to the widest audiences.

To me Storm Brew tastes like Bud Light with a hint of Stella Artois. Basically a slightly more palatable Bug Light.

Interesting. I do wonder if something happened to mine before it hit the shelf. I still don't know that I'll ever try it again, but I guess it's good to know that it's not entirely revolting to everyone.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Was not a fan. Seemed like they were trying to make it like a Sam Boston Lager, or even a light version of it, but it just completely lacks character or taste to me. I'd take it over a normal macro lager but exceptionally disappointing is the only way to describe it. And I know Ian can make some good beer.

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Was not a fan. Seemed like they were trying to make it like a Sam Boston Lager, or even a light version of it, but it just completely lacks character or taste to me. I'd take it over a normal macro lager but exceptionally disappointing is the only way to describe it. And I know Ian can make some good beer.
Yeah, the box I drank had absolutely no resemblance to Boston Lager. The closest thing I could think of was Miller Lite, if Miller Lite doubled down on its macro adjunct taste.

Now I really am wondering if mine got spoiled somehow.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I think they were specifically looking to appeal to the broadest base so he brewed it as such. IIRC, they had a bunch of blind tastings of various recipes and this one was most preferred. My buddy, who is a bud light drinker will not drink any craft beer but he could tolerate this storm brew, but he still prefers bud light. Someone like you, who prefers a craft brew would take this over a normal macro lager, but would prefer a craft brew. In the end, you get a pretty unremarkable beer that is appealing to a few, but at least tolerable by most. I think A3K's description is kind of how I thought of it as well.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad