News Article: News & Notes XXXII: Simply Having a Wonderful Canesmas Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'll have to see if I can track down the game on there.

IIRC the NHL app is free currently during the Covid situation so wouldn't be a bad game to revisit this weekend.
First thing under the classic games category at the moment. Got it on right now.

Gonna question the 'pretty good resolution' thing, though. 2009 may not seem that long ago, but it was a very different era in broadcast quality.

Reactions: DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I was trying to find a recent thread I had commented on, but the "my content" feature for some reason took me back several years and I stumbled on this old post from 2017

twilightzone1280jpg-b68ece_1280w.jpg

Imagine if you will a Carolina Hurricanes team with a good young defense

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The 'Canes' broadcast crew finished first in a recent ranking put together by The Athletic. This bit, in regards to Tripp, stood out to me...

“Here’s what I love about Tripp Tracy,” said a Carolina fan. “He’s not afraid to point out where mistakes are made by the home team. If it’s a bad penalty he says so. If it’s a goal against due to poor positioning or poor goaltending he says so. It’s refreshing.”

Same. I can put up with his goofiness if he's willing to be honest.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Are they just picking the smallest cities in each division? Wouldn't that make Tampa the choice for the Atlantic?
I suspect they're looking for areas where COVID is well controlled (which rules out Florida) with lower population density. For the Atlantic, that's what, Buffalo? Ottawa?

Reactions: DaveG

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
If there are no fans, I imagine it's not that fantastic... maybe the NHL throws a shekel their way, but you're putting on gameday ops for no fans, and it's not like we have the first pick as far as ice goes either...
I can’t imagine a scenario in which the NHL comes to us and asks us to host games at a loss. If nothing else, we get some benefit of being in the news again. And who knows, maybe we are able to have some capacity of fans at some point

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If there are no fans, I imagine it's not that fantastic... maybe the NHL throws a shekel their way, but you're putting on gameday ops for no fans, and it's not like we have the first pick as far as ice goes either...

The NHL will meet costs, to be sure, so we're not losing any money, and players from around the league would get exposure to our arena, our staff, and the area. That familiarity couldn't hurt with free agents and trade lists (unless they go to RCI), but I don't think it would be that significant. What would be significant would be that the Canes would effectively be playing every regular season and playoff game as a home game. The difference between sleeping in your own house and doing your own cooking versus being put up in a hotel room somewhere is huge.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The NHL will meet costs, to be sure, so we're not losing any money, and players from around the league would get exposure to our arena, our staff, and the area. That familiarity couldn't hurt with free agents and trade lists (unless they go to RCI), but I don't think it would be that significant. What would be significant would be that the Canes would effectively be playing every regular season and playoff game as a home game. The difference between sleeping in your own house and doing your own cooking versus being put up in a hotel room somewhere is huge.
Wonder if they force "home" teams to hotels to compensate for that advantage.

I think it's fairly cool that we could be up for this even without fans.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Wonder if they force "home" teams to hotels to compensate for that advantage.

I think it's fairly cool that we could be up for this even without fans.

More likely they force "home" teams to hotels to isolate each team. You don't want someone's spouse going out and starting to spread things to the home team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

that would be fantastic

I can't imagine they're completing the rest of the regular season at this rate. Games most certainly couldn't start back up until mid May... If not June. Plus there's 7-8 teams that are basically done even if there's games to play. The Cali teams, Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa, NJ, and even realistically Chicago.

Just go straight to the playoffs

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
More likely they force "home" teams to hotels to isolate each team. You don't want someone's spouse going out and starting to spread things to the home team.

My point stands, I don't care the reason. That advantage likely won't exist.

I can't imagine they're completing the rest of the regular season at this rate. Games most certainly couldn't stay back up until mid May... If not June.

According to Friedman, this plan would still account for some sort of conclusion to the regular season if possible. Of course, the if possible part may be difficult to your point.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This is the year someone random is going to win it. A full two months off, then go play playoff hockey? Literally Game 1 of the first round is going to look like the 1st game of the season - maybe even worse since they won't have a full training camp.

Weirdest thing ever. I will definitely watch whatever they produce, but at this point wouldn't be any more disappointed than I already am if they just cancelled everything and said "see you in October."

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can’t see them moving to the playoffs without the teams have played the same amount of games. Whether they play them all out or a handful just to get them to the same point you can’t stop until everyone has the same amount of games played. Basing not only the playoffs but a future draft pick off of current order is not fair to many teams.

If they cancel everything they can do draft order off of equal chances again which of course makes it a lot of fun.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
According to Friedman, this plan would still account for some sort of conclusion to the regular season if possible. Of course, the if possible part may be difficult to your point.

If they actually finish the regular season, we might have "NCAA Tournament" style games for a few weeks, which would be fun. Games at PNC at 11am, 3pm, and 7pm.

To which I again bring up the point that we have trouble keeping decent ice for 3 periods, let alone 9.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The thing I keep wondering about as far as a random team is, well, the Canes. Not to win it all necessarily, but to put in a good showing. I keep thinking about how we have started these last two seasons hot. We seem to play well when the game is loosey goosey on both sides given our strengths. I wonder if we can do it again at the start of these theoretical playoffs (if there's no regular season) or clinch our spot more easily if there is a regular season resumption.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad