News & Notes Thread Part VI: "Where the Hell is the News Thread?" Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Not like they have a game today. Would be much more concerned if they were out late on a Saturday night having some fun when they had a noon game the next day.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
That means lindholm and Murphy right? No other underagers.

I have no problem with it to be honest. It's always been that way with these guys. Just don't get into fights, arrested, and appear on sport center with your suit jacket over your head. That would be embarrassing.

Lindholm is not an underager in Sweden :sarcasm:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Now that I check, one of the guys I thought was under age really is of age. So only one underage. I don't want to rat them out individually or anything, but them blowing off the coach already, when they are at the begining of what could be yet another death spiral kind of sucks.

I assume you mean skinner, who's hurt on top of having a day off. As long as they're not getting into trouble, and they show uo to do their jobs I don't think anything of it. How are they blowing off their coach? Have one for me.

I drank like a fish at that age. These are normal kids, no matter how hard we want to hold them to higher standards.

I didn't mean to mess with your post, I hadn't realized I was editing it. Thought I was just quoting.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I assume you mean skinner, who's hurt on top of having a day off. As long as they're not getting into trouble, and they show uo to do their jobs I don't think anything of it. How are they blowing off their coach? Have one for me.

I drank like a fish at that age. These are normal kids, no matter how hard we want to hold them to higher standards.

I didn't mean to mess with your post, I hadn't realized I was editing it. Thought I was just quoting.

#NewModProblems

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Holy crap, Bleedgreen killed Dale Cooper and assumed his title of moderator!!

HAIL TO THE NEW KING!!!!!

I can see it now:

"Bleedgreen, we need 40cc's of adrenaline STAT! This man is going into cardiac arrest!!"

"I can't, I need to make sure Boulder21 and 'Canes1Leafs27 stop attacking each other on an internet message forum!"

"....the ****?!?!"

"I SEE THE LIGHT!!!"

Anyways, on the one hand, why should some kids spending a Saturday night drinking when there is no Sunday game matter?

On the other hand, the most famous fight in Hartford/Carolina history began much like this, with players (veterans and young guns alike- Chirs Pronger!) blowing off their coach Pierre McGuirre's curfew and staying up drinking. And I don't think Frank's issue is with Smurphy enjoying a few brewskies, but with him potentially ignoring Muller's commands.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
#NewModProblems

It was comical. The edit button is where the quote one used to be so I edited franks post. I had no idea Dave had given me privileges yet!

Fixing it on my ipad was a comedy of errors.

Thanks highway. My first comment about as long as they don't end up on sports center with coats over their heads was a reference to Pronger's famous exit from the courthouse that year. Good times. No cardiac arrests around here. I am off duty when I'm interwebbing.

What were mullers commands? I missed this.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
What were mullers commands? I missed this.

I guess 'commands' was the wrong word. Maybe 'authority' would work?

I say that because the sense I got from Frank was that the offending parties were given a strict rule from Muller (a curfew) and broke it. One time isn't a bad thing at all, but if it becomes a pattern (like it did in Hartford, under Pierre McGuirre, of which the brawl was the culmination) then it could undermine Muller's authority.

One thing I will say, if this IS the case, is that generally younger guys get these patterns from vets. I'm not saying that Eric Staal is taking a young Ryan Murphy to the side and saying "Don't listen to Muller!". I mean that the young guys watch how the older players divvy out respect and will emulate that.

I'm in somewhat of a similar situation, where the leadership has trouble demanding respect and has lost the sophomores. Now the freshmen (and even upper classmen!) have begun to pick up on that vibe and the leadership has completely lost those they are supposed to lead. No one ever said "Don't listen to X and Y!", it was just a vibe, the amount of respect certain people and their commands received, that was picked up and replicated. "This is what is acceptable, and this is what is not", with ignoring orders and arguing back constantly being deemed "acceptable".

So my concern, and I believe Frank shares this, is that ignoring Muller on things like a curfew may be deemed "acceptable". And at that point, it can very easily become a slippery slope for Muller, especially if the younger guys feel that stuff like this was previously allowed.

EDIT: In the OP, it was never said where the curfew came from: Muller, JR, Brind'amour or even E. Staal. I just assumed it was Muller.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can understand that, and I wouldn't say I would disagree. I would suspect all teams have some form of curfew. From my experiences around some of the avs during the glory years, this likely isn't the strictest of situations. If they're in some local joint, or on the road as long as they're keeping a generally low profile I don't think its insubordination or disrespect of the coach. I think it has to go much further than a night out drinking before it's in that kind if direction. Muller would be no stranger to any of this being a former player in an era where they did whatever they wanted. I doubt he'd be upset about them being out on an off night. Like I've said though, if they're out late and playing like crap or getting in trouble then martial law is fine.

I don't think we are at the Richards/carter in Philly days quite yet. Having such a young team, I'm kinda surprised we don't hear more about it.

Frank Booth239*

guess 'commands' was the wrong word. Maybe 'authority' would work?

I say that because the sense I got from Frank was that the offending parties were given a strict rule from Muller (a curfew) and broke it. One time isn't a bad thing at all, but if it becomes a pattern (like it did in Hartford, under Pierre McGuirre, of which the brawl was the culmination) then it could undermine Muller's authority.

Yeah, that's all I was saying. IDK who gives the curfew orders.

I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with it in and of itself. Especially underage drinking. I think it's outrageous that you can die for your country and vote but not drink. I just live in the neighborhood where they like to hang out- I've never seen any of them act like *******s while out drinking except, of course, Peters.

I'm just saying- it seems to me that this team has a confidence problem, which is remedied only by strong leadership. When directives of leadership are blown off after a two game losing streak, especially with a game against a team like Pittsburgh coming up, it is a cause for eyebrow raising.

Perhaps it's just my military background influencing that opinion. But then again we blow off rules and go out and get ****faced all the time, so there's that.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
And who's really sure that Muller didn't just tell them "It's been a rough road trip, we're still in it, go have fun tonight and be ready to work when you return"?

Frank Booth239*

And who's really sure that Muller didn't just tell them "It's been a rough road trip, we're still in it, go have fun tonight and be ready to work when you return"?

I suppose they could have been ************ and weren't actually violating any curfew. But it was a pretty off the beaten path joint where you wouldn't expect to be discovered.

Frank Booth239*

This is the most nothing story I've ever heard on this board. 10PM curfew? How do you even know what their curfew was?

If it's a nothing story why are you even asking?

Don't get all butthurt. It's not like I'm reporting seeing Eric Staal bumping lines of coke off of a stripper's ass at Capital Caberet.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Oh boy. This is almost as bad as the time Eric and Jordan got drunk at Eric's bachelor party and started yelling at cars. :sarcasm:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Bellemore ready to go.
Skinner out for the weekend.
Dvorak day to day.
Khudobin still not practicing.

Tlusty // Eric // Semin
Gerbe // Jordan // Dwyer
Ruutu // Nash // Lindholm
Bowman // Sutter // Westgarth

Not a fan of going back to training camp lines in the top 6, but it is what it is.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Oh no, Westgarth is out the next two games. What do we do? :scared:

There's been talk of going 7 defensemen, but why? I get you have 8 healthy ones, but why not give a Charlotte guy a look for the weekend? I mean, the Checkers have been scoring. Terry has 9 points, Boychuk and Palushaj 7 and even Rask has been hot lately with 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad