News & Notes Thread Part VI: "Where the Hell is the News Thread?" Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Ownership stakes can be sold, and what reason does McKenzie have to make up that kind of rumor? And Chip replied saying he agreed with that report, I guess he's in on it, too...

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
and a tweet like that about Rutherford just decreases McKenzie's credibility and goes to show how 'even he' throws **** at the wall. stupid suggestion all things considered.

Just because someone is a partial owner, doesn't mean they have to stay a partial owner. If JR thought he got pushed out a bit (which I think is the case), there's no reason he couldn't sell his likely small share, and go GM in Pittsburgh if he wanted.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Just because someone is a partial owner, doesn't mean they have to stay a partial owner. If JR thought he got pushed out a bit (which I think is the case), there's no reason he couldn't sell his likely small share, and go GM in Pittsburgh if he wanted.

Beat me to it.

Crazy how people forgot that you can SELL something off if you wanted.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Not to mention that the reason McKenzie tweeted it is probably because JR called him and asked him to. They are very good friends. Any McKenzie tweets regarding JR or the Hurricanes are probably straight from JR's mouth and 100 percent accurate.

You can probably get more insight into the Canes from McKenzie's tweets than tweets from JR's personal account.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the likelihood of the Chicago duo being kept at 7.5 as potential UFAs is extremely low.

I agree but deals that go in the range we assume they'll get will likely be the beginning of the end for that team. Figuring out hossa plus those two will likely change things. They'll sign them anyway so the fans keep believing and buying seats, and they ride it as far as they can going cheaper and cheaper on depth. They'll end up in the same boat as Pitts. Another interesting argument I've read talked about how even Gretzky never won past 27, same range for Mario. How your stars are at their best in their early 20's so you need to capitalize when they're young. I'd counter with Sakic and Yzerman, which would be countered by forsberg and federov but it makes for a fun debate.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not to mention that the reason McKenzie tweeted it is probably because JR called him and asked him to. They are very good friends. Any McKenzie tweets regarding JR or the Hurricanes are probably straight from JR's mouth and 100 percent accurate.

You can probably get more insight into the Canes from McKenzie's tweets than tweets from JR's personal account.

Agreed. They're bro's. Mck never tweets pure speculation unless he calls it that when it comes to jr.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Gord Miller posed a theory that when Crosby and malkin got the same amount it guaranteed their lack of depth. Said the hawks were good because their pair were kept at 6.5, and if both stayed as low as 7.5 they could stay good for a long time. I don't disagree, but keeping to game changers at 7.5? They couldn't have got Crosby/malkin that low so it's essentially blaming shero for drafting the two stars.

The difference might be deadlines, and consequently, who Pittsburgh has drafted since, contrasted with Chicago. Every year, Pitt sells the farm to make a push for the playoffs.

Their young talent is Olli Maata. I think that's it.

Chicago, if memory serves me, sticks with what they have for the most part at the deadline. And they've drafted Saad, Shaw, Leddy, Hjarmlsson, Bickell, Bollig, Teurevanin.

One team has a core with all the pieces bought and paid for, with the rest of the lineup being filled with quality in house depth. The other repeatedly ships out draft picks and prospects to add rentals to fill out the roster at the deadline.

So while Chicago is drafting it's bottom 6/bottom 4 dmen for 3 years in the future, Pittsburgh falls further and further behind in their prospect pool.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So Bylsma is not fired...yet. New GM will come in and evaluate staff. Would have to imagine he'd likely be gone after they hire the new GM though.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I agree but deals that go in the range we assume they'll get will likely be the beginning of the end for that team. Figuring out hossa plus those two will likely change things. They'll sign them anyway so the fans keep believing and buying seats, and they ride it as far as they can going cheaper and cheaper on depth. They'll end up in the same boat as Pitts. Another interesting argument I've read talked about how even Gretzky never won past 27, same range for Mario. How your stars are at their best in their early 20's so you need to capitalize when they're young. I'd counter with Sakic and Yzerman, which would be countered by forsberg and federov but it makes for a fun debate.

It also helps that Chicago has at least two players with total BS cap hits and are committed to almost $80 million in actual salaries next year.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
I will laugh my ass off if Bylsma stays.

There are plenty of good hockey people that believe the real issue in Pittsburgh was the roster building and not the coach. Shero enjoyed a lot of success on the back of Craig Patrick IMO. they have a lot of the same problems we do with the lack of grit in the bottom six, playing bottom 6 guys in the top 6, fairly soft defense outside or Orpik, and not a ton of NHL ready prospects.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Remember a couple years ago, when Shero was considered one of the best GMs in the league, and how "Shero doesn't lose trades", etc.?

Good times....:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad