News from around the League Part XLIX - Cuts & Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah he does, we netted 5 against him in a game last season.

So many bad goalies around the league but since many are big they at least take a lot of the net away and pucks will just hit them.

He also kept us in the game in Nashville in which we lost 3-2 in OT, after them tying it with the goalie pulled. Both goals we scored were some of the worst I've seen in the last couple years.

He's 0-3-2 this season.:laugh:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Marek Mazanec will get half the starts at least I bet. He's been great in the AHL lately going 0.99 GAA 0.953 SV% and a shutout in his last 3 starts.

They also have Magnus Hellberg (I know a few posters jokingly wanted him at the 2011 Draft just for the name) who has a robust .934 sv% in the AHL as well.

If they really wanted to go the retread route, former Pred Dan Ellis is in the AHL for Florida. The Panthers would probably be happy enough to dump his one way contract.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Blues might not be too happy if Marty left them for a division rival.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He also kept us in the game in Nashville in which we lost 3-2 in OT, after them tying it with the goalie pulled. Both goals we scored were some of the worst I've seen in the last couple years.

He's 0-3-2 this season.:laugh:

I'd like to watch a Blimpback vs Hutton showdown, take the over for sure. :joker:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Interesting article from Mirtle on the Leafs. Mirrors a lot of the discussion on here about the Devils.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...er-pointless-california-trip/article22485560/

Particularly interesting to me is that he uses 28 as the cutoff for shipping players out. That'd put Zajac and Greene on the "trade" list for us - with the obvious issues of their contracts.

They have to punt players out for futures, open salary space and be proactive in not allowing 2015-16 to be another year where they’ll flail around like this, pretending that adding new Santorellis and Winniks is enough. The trade deadline this year is March 2. The Leafs have 18 games before then and 11 of those are on the road, where they’ve won seven of 21 all season. It’s time to wave the white flag and move a Lupul if someone wants a Lupul or a Polak or any of the other expendable 28-and-older players on the roster.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's good news. I've never been particularly impressed by Bryz. Hopefully the Devils haven't used up their weekly ration of goals against the Kings.

Always liked Bryz, aside from when he was with the Flyers. He hasn't been very good since coming back to Anaheim.

We've been particularly good against him since the 2012 playoffs. Just one shootout (big surprise) loss back in 2013, and the rest have been wins. We even beat him last year, once with Edmonton and once with Minnesota. Both OT victories.

Too bad we don't have Mark Fayne to score a pretty nice goal on him, like he did against Minnesota last year.:laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Always liked Bryz, aside from when he was with the Flyers. He hasn't been very good since coming back to Anaheim.

We've been particularly good against him since the 2012 playoffs. Just one shootout (big surprise) loss back in 2013, and the rest have been wins. We even beat him last year, once with Edmonton and once with Minnesota. Both OT victories.

Too bad we don't have Mark Fayne to score a pretty nice goal on him, like he did against Minnesota last year.:laugh:

We beat Bryz twice in OT last season.

Merrill vs Edmonton & Greene vs Minny

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Nice that the Devils have always done so well against Bryz. I hope that tonight we can pick up another two points in California. A strong California trip could be a huge psychological boost for the team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nice that the Devils have always done so well against Bryz. I hope that tonight we can pick up another two points in California. A strong California trip could be a huge psychological boost for the team.

If we weren't like the ONLY bad team that always loses to the Sharks, I would say I like our chances in that game too.

The Sharks always lose to really awful teams and play down to their competition. I know this first hand, as they're my second favorite team and I watch every game, except some of the ones out east that conflict with Devils games. Even last night they couldn't score more than 2 goals on 42 shots against piece of **** James Reimer.

If we could get through the Ducks, I would love a win against the Sharks.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If we weren't like the ONLY bad team that always loses to the Sharks, I would say I like our chances in that game too.

The Sharks always lose to really awful teams and play down to their competition. I know this first hand, as they're my second favorite team and I watch every game, except some of the ones out east that conflict with Devils games. Even last night they couldn't score more than 2 goals on 42 shots against piece of **** James Reimer.

If we could get through the Ducks, I would love a win against the Sharks.

I guess that the Devils just don't match up well against the Sharks, or maybe the Sharks still think we're a good team, so they forget to play down to us, but if we could win against both the Ducks and the Sharks that would be absolutely incredible. It would be a real win streak for this team against strong teams.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Good news on the Dowd issue front - no charges filed by the township. The bolded part is an embarrassment and just speaks for the entire joke of this situation. He has apparently received an overwhelming amount of support too which should hopefully further put this to bed.

The investigation was initiated after a parent of a player, identified only by initials and age, signed a private citizen complaint against Dowd for simple assault during a game on January 7 at the Jersey Shore Arena in Wall against Red Bank Regional .

The private citizen complaint summons for simple assault will be adjudicated at a later date in Wall Township Municipal Court, according to the release.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/2015/01/16/jim-dowd-will-not-be-charged-by-wall-police/21876611/?hootPostID=c8adcba24982978dfa2767f07723eddd

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Good news on the Dowd issue front - no charges filed by the township. The bolded part is an embarrassment and just speaks for the entire joke of this situation. He has apparently received an overwhelming amount of support too which should hopefully further put this to bed.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/2015/01/16/jim-dowd-will-not-be-charged-by-wall-police/21876611/?hootPostID=c8adcba24982978dfa2767f07723eddd

I'm so glad that Dowd isn't facing charges and that he received so much support. You never want to believe any case of coaching abuse, and it's great that there was no actual substance behind this one.

I think it is pretty terrifying that a complaint signed with just initials would have this much traction, though. It really could have ruined Dowd's reputation and possibly even his life if he hadn't received so much support.

Edit to add: Also, it's strange how the person who made the false complaint doesn't have to have his/her name dragged through the mud for this false accusation but Dowd got his name dragged through the mud as a potential child abuser and assaulter based on some false accusation. Just nuts the society we live in. Sometimes it's not very just at all:(

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I'm so glad that Dowd isn't facing charges and that he received so much support. You never want to believe any case of coaching abuse, and it's great that there was no actual substance behind this one.

I think it is pretty terrifying that a complaint signed with just initials would have this much traction, though. It really could have ruined Dowd's reputation and possibly even his life if he hadn't received so much support.

Edit to add: Also, it's strange how the person who made the false complaint doesn't have to have his/her name dragged through the mud for this false accusation but Dowd got his name dragged through the mud as a potential child abuser and assaulter based on some false accusation. Just nuts the society we live in. Sometimes it's not very just at all:(

Karma comes into play with that last part. Everybody around that team and connected through family, friends, etc of the teams players and their parents and coaches - that entire network - knows which kid it was and which parents it were and I'd imagine it won't be an easy time for that kid and his family for the rest of his HS days. This isn't just some regular coach, Dowd is one of the most respected NJ HS hockey people in the state and has been for years, and that family and kid have a lot of people that aren't very fond of them anymore to put it lightly.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Karma comes into play with that last part. Everybody around that team and connected through family, friends, etc of the teams players and their parents and coaches - that entire network - knows which kid it was and which parents it were and I'd imagine it won't be an easy time for that kid and his family for the rest of his HS days. This isn't just some regular coach, Dowd is one of the most respected NJ HS hockey people in the state and has been for years, and that family and kid have a lot of people that aren't very fond of them anymore to put it lightly.

You raise some good points. Youth sports are a pretty small world, so even though the complainer's name wasn't released everyone involved with the team will probably know who it was, and life will probably become very difficult for that person as a result.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You can sign a complaint and start an investigation against someone in anonimity? In the United States? What da?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad