News From Around the League - Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

With Crosby there, it'll still be a prime UFA destination. Malkin and Letang are their big pieces that they'll need to extend/trade.

Their blue line should be okay. Maatta/Harrington should be solid NHLers in a couple years. I'm quite thankful that they took Pouliot over Jacob Trouba. They made an interesting choice at the 2011 Draft. They bypassed hometown product Brandon Saad for Joe Morrow who was then turned into Brenden Morrow. Although it seemed like Saad turned off a few teams during the interview process.

Bad cap situation would be something like Calgary's.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 36s
#Preds announce they've signed defenceman Roman Josi to a 7-year, $28 million contract.

wow.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Josi is gonna regret that years from now

He is locked down now until he is 30 yrs old ,, This could be another Scottie Pippen situation

Pippen got great contract at time when young ,, Years later he was getting paid so little compared to other stars and he hated it and was miserable about it

apice3*

I don't think Pittsburgh is in trouble at all. They'll let Iginla walk, if Dupuis wants a huge raise, he's gone. They have nearly 8 mil in cap space to sign 4 players, with their top 5 D-men, top goalie, top 3 centers, and top 2 wingers already signed. Kennedy is going to cost the most to re-sign, and he's an RFA.

If Dupuis, Cooke, etc want huge pay raises, Pittsburgh will simply call up an AHL guy or pay a random FA less than 1.5 mil to look like a star next to Crosby.

Guys like Ovechkin who are great players often see a lack of postseaosn success because they eat so much payroll and he can't get a good enough supporting cast. Crosby, on the other hand, while eating 8.7m in cap space actually comes off as a bargain in the long run because he can turn a 1.5m Dupuis and a 3.75m Kunitz into 25-30 goal scores for cheap.

That's 14 mil for a great top line. As a comparison, Kovy-Zajac-Zubrus makes more than that. Which would you rather have?

As long as Crosby is on the roster, the Pens will be fine.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Bylsma and Fleury return they are not a real contender for cup IMO

Bad Coaching + Bad Goaltending is recipe for postseason failure (As seen by Pens in recent years)

apice3*

HF uses the word "contender" in such a ridiculous fashion. The Penguins made it to the ECF. How the hell are they not contenders?

We made it to the Cup finals last year and people didn't view that team as "contenders" either.

It seems like there's one "contender" every year hen we look back in hindsight, and that's the team that hoists the Cup.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh was actually terrible when they faced better competition though. If Vokoun didn't rescue them from MAF then the Islanders might even knock them off. Ottawa's defense was a joke, and the Islanders defense was a joke too, and I knew it would get exposed.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Josi is gonna regret that years from now

He is locked down now until he is 30 yrs old ,, This could be another Scottie Pippen situation

Pippen got great contract at time when young ,, Years later he was getting paid so little compared to other stars and he hated it and was miserable about it

FML i only get $3 000 000 instead of possible $5 000 000. My life is ruined. :sarcasm:

apice3*

Pittsburgh was actually terrible when they faced better competition though. If Vokoun didn't rescue them from MAF then the Islanders might even knock them off. Ottawa's defense was a joke, and the Islanders defense was a joke too, and I knew it would get exposed.

I didn't expect the Penguins to win. I've picked Boston since the day the regular season ended. But it's hard to call a team that makes it to the final 4 a non-contender, especially when it took 2OT and a 3rd period goal to beat them in games 3-4.

Not to mention, people blaming their defense/goaltending for being the reason they're not contenders. They held Boston to 3 goals over the last 7 periods. The problem was they scored 1 goal in the same timespan. The offense cost them last series.

Again, I think their defense/goaltending is an issue and I personally don't think they'll win the Cup without improving both areas, but saying they won't contend for it is a bit extreme.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Makes him blowing by Andy Greene in that awful game in Winnipeg this year, all the worse.:amazed::amazed:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Makes him blowing by Andy Greene in that awful game in Winnipeg this year, all the worse.:amazed::amazed:

And people were getting on me for carping about it too...saying oh, he's fast for a big man lol. Good lord, has any player ever played at three bills before? There must have been one, maybe an enforcer at some point?

apice3*

John Scott was pushing 280 at one point. No one has touched 300 before.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They should convert Byfuglien to a goalie, between his size and pads he'd have to wear nobody would ever get one through him, especially since he's more agile than your average sumo wrestler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad