News From Around the League - Part XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
no real reason it would affect the game either way i guess.....i just think that players should have the right to choose. if they dont care about their eyes then who is to say they should have to put a visor on :dunno:

personally i never liked wearing the full cage for pickup games so i modified the shape of something like this mask below to fit over my face while using an yzerman style old school CCM helmet. i also widened the eyes slightly to get a bit more peripheral vision.

51UOP-O12FL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

How about the people that pay them millions to be on the ice doing what they are paid to do rather than sitting up in the press box watching the game with one eye?

And if the players don't like it, they can forego their millions and go play in a second rate league half a world away.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
How about the people that pay them millions to be on the ice doing what they are paid to do rather than sitting up in the press box watching the game with one eye?

And if the players don't like it, they can forego their millions and go play in a second rate league half a world away.

I second this. The players are doing a job they're getting paid millions to do. Considering how much they make, they have a responsibility to keep themselves healthy any way they can. It's on the league to set forth the rules to protect their workers any way they can as well, which is what they appear to be doing.

Like you said, if the players want "to choose" they can also choose to play in a league that doesn't give a rats ass about their health.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I second this. The players are doing a job they're getting paid millions to do. Considering how much they make, they have a responsibility to keep themselves healthy any way they can. It's on the league to set forth the rules to protect their workers any way they can as well, which is what they appear to be doing.

Like you said, if the players want "to choose" they can also choose to play in a league that doesn't give a rats ass about their health.

why stop at visors then? go full face shield or cages...or will this cause players to be more reckless and have less repect to keeping sticks down?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
:laugh: Too accurate a depiction of the Penguins goaltending situation.
ibvyc5bUI9VLX2.gif

funny and all, but i dont think anyone on the professional level is blaming vokoun whatsoever for their predicament...kinda ridic to do so

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
funny and all, but i dont think anyone on the professional level is blaming vokoun whatsoever for their predicament...kinda ridic to do so

no, but go back the trade deadline and Vokoun was not getting hardly any games (from memory) and had crapped the bed in his last few outings as backup. MAF was looking decent but we all know MAF has the propensity to collapse under playoff pressure at times. That's why I was seriously expecting them to trade for Luongo as the final piece of that playoff build-up. They didn't and I think I even referenced all that firepower up front that can't be resigned and they are gambling that goaltending won't be the weak link in that chain...

MAF craps the bed in the early round, Vokoun steps in to become the hero but he can't erase the blood in the water so to speak and the feeding frenzy is on. Mental side of the game says the Penguins are shaky in net with no clear #1 and that's enough in the playoffs to put a gaping hole in the hull and sink your chances. Sure we can point to the lack of scoring up front but we saw those scoring chances last night - the Pens easily could have score 5 or 6 goals if not for Rask but confidence is a hell of a drug and I think the goaltending issue only boosted that confidence for the Bruins walking into this round. One could look at Vancouver and what happened with Snyder and see the same phenomena of what happens when your starter isn't starting at the most critical time of the year.

When exactly did Vokoun become the starter - about game 3 or 4 of the first round vs. the Islanders? Seems like it was then.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
for anyone interested, Ahllive.com are streaming the whole of the Calder finals for free with the promo code CALDER2013

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Pick is conditional. No real risk involved other than potentially icing Gonchar on a team that's already pretty old and slow.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
If Gonchar and the Stars work out a deal it'll be a nice acquisition for a 6th rounder

Not sure why the Stars keep bringing in older guys who aren't what they once were though, can't figure out what exactly their plan is

They have some good young guys to build around and haven't done so

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
why stop at visors then? go full face shield or cages...or will this cause players to be more reckless and have less repect to keeping sticks down?

Eye ball, and potentiality to go blind. Missing teeth? Part of hockey.

Although somewhere way down the road, if u see more damaging injuries, whether it be by puck stick or skate, I think the idea of wearing full face shields will be bandied about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad