News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2023-24

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I see that Debrincat finished with 27 goals after getting 9 in the first 7 games this season. I'll have to go back through the threads from late October to see if anyone was predicting that Palmieri would outscore Debrincat for the season. :laugh:

BTW, I hope Shane Doan's kid scores the last goal for AZ tonight.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He had 1 goal in like 17 games when Detroit needed someone to step up. He’s not that guy, but he’ll collect his hometown paycheck.
I see that Debrincat finished with 27 goals after getting 9 in the first 7 games this season. I'll have to go back through the threads from late October to see if anyone was predicting that Palmieri would outscore Debrincat for the season. :laugh:

BTW, I hope Shane Doan's kid scores the last goal for AZ tonight.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
That was tough to watch the last game for the Coyotes last night. They won the game which was cool. Players stayed out on the ice, office and business people came out, pictures, jerseys and sticks were given to the fans. That has to be gut wrenching for that small but passionate fanbase.

Totally get why the plug was pulled and that the NHL is a business. So thankful this didn't happen to the Isles. Those lean years were worrisome for sure.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
That was tough to watch the last game for the Coyotes last night. They won the game which was cool. Players stayed out on the ice, office and business people came out, pictures, jerseys and sticks were given to the fans. That has to be gut wrenching for that small but passionate fanbase.

Totally get why the plug was pulled and that the NHL is a business. So thankful this didn't happen to the Isles. Those lean years were worrisome for sure.
Yeah, you hate to see it, but the writing was on the wall for a while now.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Didn’t know where to put this, but Burke will definitely get a well deserve contract(s) whoever wants him. Hopefully it’s to stay at MSG with the Isles.

His best career move is to move off the Islanders. Now, he only knows what his wants and needs are.

He’s better than ESPN, so it’s TNT, MSG, or the Yankees (doing radio isn’t a smart move, but it’s leverage).

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
His best career move is to move off the Islanders. Now, he only knows what his wants and needs are.

He’s better than ESPN, so it’s TNT, MSG, or the Yankees (doing radio isn’t a smart move, but it’s leverage).
Why? Why wouldn't his best move be to remain with MSG, still fill in for national broadcasts and be the next logical replacement for Sam Rosen?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Why? Why wouldn't his best move be to remain with MSG, still fill in for national broadcasts and be the next logical replacement for Sam Rosen?
Because he can go national and do tennis, golf, football, etc. Take over for Jim Nantz or someone like that. MSG is solid gig, but it ain’t national and national money - if that’s what he wants. Once he sets that table at the national level, then that’s his bargaining position the rest of his career.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Because he can go national and do tennis, golf, football, etc. Take over for Jim Nantz or someone like that. MSG is solid gig, but it ain’t national and national money - if that’s what he wants. Once he sets that table at the national level, then that’s his bargaining position the rest of his career.
If the choice is MSG (and an inevitable Rangers gig) vs TNT, not seeing how TNT is more lucrative. Like I said, he can continue doing national gigs as well...

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He's already the number 2 guy at TNT.
Those contracts are set up different. He gets paid a rate for those games by TNT separate from his salary at MSG.

He could negotiate a larger deal salary deal with TNT directly. Same with another national network. He’ll make a ton more being on a national network and access to broader sports schedules beyond just hockey.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Those contracts are set up different. He gets paid a rate for those games by TNT separate from his salary at MSG.

He could negotiate a larger deal salary deal with TNT directly. Same with another national network. He’ll make a ton more being on a national network and access to broader sports schedules beyond just hockey.
You're probably the expert on national vs regional broadcaster compensation so I will defer to you.

But come to think of it, is there even a full-time national TV deal potentially on the table? All I heard was "multiple local TV openings and the Yankees radio job."

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You're probably the expert on national vs regional broadcaster compensation so I will defer to you.

But come to think of it, is there even a full-time national TV deal potentially on the table? All I heard was "multiple local TV openings and the Yankees radio job."
He’s a position where spots can be opened if a network wants to do so before he gets locked into a longish term contract and they missed the window.

Reactions: Nizami Ganjavi

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
It sucks for AZ fans that even the possibility the NHL is granting to AZ to get their team back in the near term is to depend on the owner that already failed to get things done in Tempe. Really brings back memories of hoping that the Lighthouse got through while it became more and more unlikely.

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Arizona gen pop has basically said they don’t want an NHL team. Arizona is a weird state.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What seems interesting to me is that Utah looks like it may be in the same situation as Colorado was so many moons ago, inheriting a team already built for a successful future. And the team is in the driving seat personnel-wise.

O'Brien, Dermott, and Brown are the only UFAs this summer.

Hayton is the only RFA upfront, thus fully controllable. The entire blueline aside from the aforementioned UFAs are RFAs. Every single one of them. Likely the most cost-controlled blueline in all of hockey.

Their prospect base is extremely healthy with several players in the AHL banging on the door already. And at the moment, they've got 13 picks in this summer's draft as well as 10 in the summer of '25.

Denver and SLC then become natural geographical rivals right off the bat, with Vegas not all that far away. That'll be pretty cool for the teams out there in what is an area that doesn't have a whole lot of natural rivals within suitable driving distances.

To date, Lou hasn't been one to move younger players he doesn't plan with. He waives them or lets them walk.

If he were willing to move Wahlstrom for another team's disappointing RFA youngster, Victor Soderstrom of "Utah" would be one of the prime targets in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad