News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2021-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lehner is just straight gangster when you ask him something. He don't give a **** who he pisses off. Just says what he thinks. Thankfully he's not really a jerk or he'd be really hard to like. He just tells it how he sees it.

Reactions: buud

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm not terribly surprised that Buffalo fans are having a hard time with this, because Lehner went after them (it's in the last paragraph of the posted article). But there's too much smoke there for there not to be fire. One wonders what might have happened previously to Okposo's time off that might have contributed to what happened to him. And I still cannot understand why that man is playing *at all* whether or not he wants to.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
That "Leafs All or Nothing" thing on Prime Video should be very interesting. But I wonder why guys like Shanahan and Dubas allow that? If someone approached Lou about that, he'd just look at them for 10 seconds without saying anything and then walk away. It's great for fans, but it seems like a no-win proposition for a team, especially for TML who are in a fishbowl in their market to begin with.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Go on their board and look at the thread pertaining to this and the Jack Eichel thread that they also touch on this. Then tell me you feel bad. They are making fun of his mental illness…. Talking about his drug addiction like it’s a joke. Realize the doctor in question was fired after all of this and yet because they were buffalo doctors they are defending them…. There is a vocal minority of that fan base that are human trash bags.

Every fan base has its share of a*******. :popcorn:

Reactions: sabremike

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
That "Leafs All or Nothing" thing on Prime Video should be very interesting. But I wonder why guys like Shanahan and Dubas allow that? If someone approached Lou about that, he'd just look at them for 10 seconds without saying anything and then walk away. It's great for fans, but it seems like a no-win proposition for a team, especially for TML who are in a fishbowl in their market to begin with.
They are not a happy fanbase because of how last season went (“we have the easiest path to the cup ever! …oh, snap, we choked again”) and I can’t imagine how rubbing their faces in it will help their mood…

maybe watching Dubas fiddle with the fields in his excel sheet trying to figure out how Montreal beat them will make for must watch tv…

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They are not a happy fanbase because of how last season went (“we have the easiest path to the cup ever! …oh, snap, we choked again”) and I can’t imagine how rubbing their faces in it will help their mood…

maybe watching Dubas fiddle with the fields in his excel sheet trying to figure out how Montreal beat them will make for must watch tv

"Oh, I forgot to carry the one, it all makes sense now!"

Reactions: JKP

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Lehner is just straight gangster when you ask him something. He don't give a **** who he pisses off. Just says what he thinks. Thankfully he's not really a jerk or he'd be really hard to like. He just tells it how he sees it.
For a guy in the league 10 years, he's been on 5 teams as a goalie.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Should he never have any interactions with the public?

I don't get why it bothers you that Robin Lehner is chatty.
He can defer on the answer. He just always wants to say something making it about him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think that's a little much. There's no reason he can't talk about his experiences with a past employer on a podcast.

And?
He's either that guy that everyone trades for because they think he's that guy or teams tire of him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I like that Lehner talks about some of these things. It's not like he's talking about cliché stuff or is giving roundabout answers. He's pretty transparent about stuff and that gives fans more insight into how some of these things work. I'm all for that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He can defer on the answer. He just always wants to say something making it about him.

He was commenting on his situation in Buffalo and how it relates to what's currently happening in Buffalo. I don't think that's making it about him, it's actually shining a light on Eichel's request and how out of bounds the organization is with how they're handling it.

He's either that guy that everyone trades for because they think he's that guy or teams tire of him.

I don't think that's fair. The first half of his career he was struggling with mental health issues and was likely a problem for organizations to deal with. Just because he's doing well now doesn't remove all risk associated with employing someone with a known mental illness. The Islanders played hardball for whatever reason and then he's bounced around because he couldn't get a long term deal because of his mental illness. Vegas seems to want him though, even after the saga Fleury saga where he handled it like a professional. He backed up Fleury every step of the way and never went out of his way (in the media) to try and get in the net himself. Yet another example of him not making it about himself.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He's heavy for a goaltender.
He has a history of back problems.
I believe teams are afraid his frame cannot support his weight and will result in a career-ending injury.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He was commenting on his situation in Buffalo and how it relates to what's currently happening in Buffalo. I don't think that's making it about him, it's actually shining a light on Eichel's request and how out of bounds the organization is with how they're handling it.

I don't think that's fair. The first half of his career he was struggling with mental health issues and was likely a problem for organizations to deal with. Just because he's doing well now doesn't remove all risk associated with employing someone with a known mental illness. The Islanders played hardball for whatever reason and then he's bounced around because he couldn't get a long term deal because of his mental illness. Vegas seems to want him though, even after the saga Fleury saga where he handled it like a professional. He backed up Fleury every step of the way and never went out of his way (in the media) to try and get in the net himself. Yet another example of him not making it about himself.

The Isles seem to have played hardball with him for the very reason he's always out there. It would have been a necessary evil to keep on a short term deal, but that's it. His external voice doesn't seem to jive with how Lou runs his teams.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So if he answers a question about the situation in Buffalo it becomes all about Robin? Sorry, I don't see it that way.

It doesn't bother me that he has become a standard-bearer for speaking about mental health, drug and alcohol abuse and addiction. And it certainly doesn't bother me that he answered a direct question about his time with a team 4 squares back. A team that we all acknowledge is poorly run. I find that neither to be piling on or making it all about Lehner.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Isles seem to have played hardball with him for the very reason he's always out there. It would have been a necessary evil to keep on a short term deal, but that's it. His external voice doesn't seem to jive with how Lou runs his teams.

I don't disagree that his candidness could've played a factor but that's not the reason "he's always out there." The reason he's always out there are both his size and the mental health issues.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The situation with Buffalo is not .01% as bad as the sexual misconduct/abuse/harassment situation seems in Chicago. People who were privy to whatever happened to 2010 (Nick Boynton and now Paul Vincent) are talking to the tsn journalist Rick Westhead presumably because they intend not to allow the Blackhawks to cherry-pick for their 'internal investigation' report. The fact that these former Blackhawk employees/coaches are doing it this way is an embarassemnt to the NHL.

Reactions: sabremike

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I like Robin. He seems like a decent guy. (not a saint, but a decent guy).

I like that he talks. I don't always agree with what he says or maybe how he says it. But that's kinda how life should work.

I think some folks don't have much filter and you get what they're processing in real time. I think he's a lot like that and thus I don't think he's looking to stir things up or always looking for a microphone.

I'd prefer he talk as openly as he does versus, say, the Snake's mundane, robotic, cliched platitudes. To each their own. Does that openness cause issues with his normally stoic, mundane, robotic, cliched speaking employers or coworkers? Who knows. Maybe there's a happier middle ground for all.

End of speech. :)

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I like Robin. He seems like a decent guy. (not a saint, but a decent guy).

I like that he talks. I don't always agree with what he says or maybe how he says it. But that's kinda how life should work.

I think some folks don't have much filter and you get what they're processing in real time. I think he's a lot like that and thus I don't think he's looking to stir things up or always looking for a microphone.

I'd prefer he talk as openly as he does versus, say, the Snake's mundane, robotic, cliched platitudes. To each their own. Does that openness cause issues with his normally stoic, mundane, robotic, cliched speaking employers or coworkers? Who knows. Maybe there's a happier middle ground for all.

End of speech. :)

Most of the time NHL interviews are a waste:

"It's always special when..."
"Obviously anytime you..."
"We just gotta play our game,"
"Can't think about the past,"
"We've got a good group of guys in our room and..."
"They've got a great team over there"
"Just gotta get pucks to the net"

Just pick your response, doesn't have to be related to the question in any way.

Reactions: JKP and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Prepare to see a new side of Tavares in the upcoming "inside" look at the TML on Prime Video. I'm sure, since he's the captain, that we'll see him with his guard down, leading the boys with his mountains of charisma. :rolleyes:
S1. Ep3. Tavares sheds his skin, goalie coach has his social media access put on parental monitor mode, GM’s Yahoo fantasy team outperforms his actual team.

Reactions: JKP and doublechili
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad