News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Wyshynski at it again . . . 28th in the NHL in WATCHABILITY . . . I guess he never got over my spanking him on Yahoo about the 1980 US Olympic team . . . I must apologize to all of us here since he's been having that time of month ever since when writing about the team

New York Islanders

Star power: 6
Secondary plot lines: 5
Controversy quotient: 7
Fun factor: 1
Aesthetics: 7
Overall watchability rating: 26
Look, Islanders fans, we've heard it all before. Coach Barry Trotz's chosen style of play is fun for you, because it's a winning style, and forget the haters and blah blah blah. But this team played anti-hockey in the playoffs. They're the NyQuil of NHL teams, stylistically. If you're searching for reasons to watch the Islanders, they are: Mathew Barzal's wizardry, the intrigue of rookie goalie Ilya Sorokin and the occasional fireworks from their wrecking ball of a checking line. They earn a slight iconoclastic bonus on aesthetics, because the team's Reverse Retro jersey is ... basically just their regular jersey.

Boy, he sure describes this as if they were ranked much higher than 26th.

But if anyone wants to talk about an watchability factor, they'd recognize that there are only a dozen players in the league who can bring the "Wow" effect that Barzal is capable of.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

But if anyone wants to talk about an watchability factor, they'd recognize that there are only a dozen players in the league who can bring the "Wow" effect that Barzal is capable of.

28th when you look at the list, 26 is the total of the categories. You wonder who he's sleeping with to have an ESPN gig after how bad his Yahoo one was.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Agreed but it's hard to argue that from an entire game perspective, the Isles are not fun to watch for non Isles fan. Fans like pond hockey. The Isles are the furthest team from it.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
this season could be a mess without the bubble. Hope this doesnt delay things for the whole league.

NEW YORK (Jan. 8, 2021)
– The National Hockey League announced today that six Dallas Stars players and two staff members have recently confirmed positive tests for the COVID-19 virus. Those individuals are self-isolating and following CDC and League protocols. As a result of the positive tests, and as an appropriate precaution, the team’s training facilities have been closed, effective immediately, and will remain closed for several days while further daily testing and contact tracing is conducted. The League is in the process of reviewing and revising the Stars’ regular season schedule with the expectation that the team will not open its 2020-21 season earlier than Tuesday, January 19.
The Stars organization has, and will continue to follow, all recommended guidelines aimed at protecting the health and safety of its players, staff and community at large as set by the NHL, local, state and national agencies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
this season could be a mess without the bubble. Hope this doesnt delay things for the whole league.

NEW YORK (Jan. 8, 2021)
– The National Hockey League announced today that six Dallas Stars players and two staff members have recently confirmed positive tests for the COVID-19 virus. Those individuals are self-isolating and following CDC and League protocols. As a result of the positive tests, and as an appropriate precaution, the team’s training facilities have been closed, effective immediately, and will remain closed for several days while further daily testing and contact tracing is conducted. The League is in the process of reviewing and revising the Stars’ regular season schedule with the expectation that the team will not open its 2020-21 season earlier than Tuesday, January 19.
The Stars organization has, and will continue to follow, all recommended guidelines aimed at protecting the health and safety of its players, staff and community at large as set by the NHL, local, state and national agencies.
Uh oh. Hope it's not a first domino.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
No, sporadic positive tests are not dominos. But, yes, they will undoubtedly occur throughout the season and let's hope that is the extent of it.

Ah, I see what you mean by dominoes* then. As if that specific breakout will spread around the league. But yea, we are on the same page that this will not be the end. I would not be surprised if either games get cancelled or teams will have to play without players/coaches like what happened in the NFL. Much different in the NFL given the size of those rosters, but we'll see.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ah, I see what you mean by dominoes* then. As if that specific breakout will spread around the league. But yea, we are on the same page that this will not be the end. I would not be surprised if either games get cancelled or teams will have to play without players/coaches like what happened in the NFL. Much different in the NFL given the size of those rosters, but we'll see.
The league hasn't built a lot of free space into the schedule, none really, and with a hard finish of July 15, everything has to go smoothly. It's a concern.

Reactions: 13th Floor

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The league hasn't built a lot of free space into the schedule, none really, and with a hard finish of July 15, everything has to go smoothly. It's a concern.

Can't remember where I saw it, but the league built in 2 weeks for just such events. I'm thinking stricter protocols are gonna be assigned. This can't happen at all.

On a lighter note. They should be fined 10 bajillion dollars and the fine should be distributed to fans..well, because we all need money :cool:

Reactions: Uncle Duke

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Can't remember where I saw it, but the league built in 2 weeks for just such events. I'm thinking stricter protocols are gonna be assigned. This can't happen at all.

On a lighter note. They should be fined 10 bajillion dollars and the fine should be distributed to fans..well, because we all need money :cool:
I hadn't heard that but good to know.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Lightning announced that long time Sportsnet and Hockey Night in Canada announcer Dave Randorf will replace the legendary but now retired Rick Peckham as their new play by play guy. Not news I would normally post here but in introducing Randorf to Lightning fans they linked this:

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
honestly, i couldn't give 2 f**ks about watchability. this isn't a gameshow. i care about winnability. if other fans get bored by our winning style, who gives two turds.

imo...

New York Islanders

Star power: 6
Secondary plot lines: 7 (our checking line is the bomb!)
Controversy quotient: 7
Fun factor: 5 (Barzal alone is a fans dream)
Aesthetics: 6
Overall watchability rating: 31

the name of the game is winning!

Brutally honest and to paraphrase from "White Men Can't Jump": I guess some fans (but more likely media pundits) would rather look good and lose, I would rather look bad and win.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Anyone here heard whether Tuukka Rask is going to play this season?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Maybe that. Maybe some injury that never quite healed, or a combination of the 2.
There was a lot of noise on him re-upping in Chicago, never happened. He doesn’t reference and injury, which makes me think he has no interest in playing with another team. Tried to, but mentally not into it.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lightning announced that long time Sportsnet and Hockey Night in Canada announcer Dave Randorf will replace the legendary but now retired Rick Peckham as they're new play by play guy. Not news I would normally post here but in introducing Randorf to Lightning fans they linked this:

That was a great story about him getting the idea for a goal call from the guy next to him in the bathroom. Coincidentally, back in late 1979 I was next to Al Michaels in the mens room at NVMC between periods of a game where the Isles were down by a few goals. Michaels said the game was over and no way could the Isles come back. I replied, "do you believe in miracles?".

:rolleyes:

Reactions: MJF and Uncle Duke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad