News from Around the AHL/NHL/KHL 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It is going to be interesting to watch Toronto this season.

They sign the top free agent, raising expectations immensely, but didn't substantially address their bottom six. They are relatively small and soft and it sounds like teams have started to realize they need to play a physical game to take advantage of that flaw.

They have a core player holding out and now another down for at least a month. They need to resolve the Nylander situation one way or another ASAP.

The defense isn't necessarily good enough outside of a few players. And it is usually hard to upgrade substantially in season without overpaying.

Now everyone is watching Dubas, who doesn't seem to have any answers outside of the obvious. But he did win a Calder Cup, so they have that going for them.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I watched most of it. Judas was invisible.

Toronto really is the place for him. Behind Matthews he can put up big numbers - but without being insulated, the Toronto fanbase is in for a harsh wakeup call. Before Barzal came to town - JT put up 70 and 66 points. Without playing second fiddle to a more dynamic, fast superstar, JT is a 70 point guy, which is nothing to scoff at.

The Leafs are going to choke for the next month, and he's going to find himself on the dartboard in no time. I'm not saying this out of spite, I truly believe we did dodge a bullet with his contract, it did hurt initially but it will be the best signing we didn't make in the long haul.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Toronto really is the place for him. Behind Matthews he can put up big numbers - but without being insulated, the Toronto fanbase is in for a harsh wakeup call. Before Barzal came to town - JT put up 70 and 66 points. Without playing second fiddle to a more dynamic, fast superstar, JT is a 70 point guy, which is nothing to scoff at.

The Leafs are going to choke for the next month, and he's going to find himself on the dartboard in no time. I'm not saying this out of spite, I truly believe we did dodge a bullet with his contract, it did hurt initially but it will be the best signing we didn't make in the long haul.

Pretty much no long term signing these days is good. Even Crosby Kane and Toews aren’t putting up numbers in their second contract like they did in the first and they certainly aren’t going to get any better soon

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It is going to be interesting to watch Toronto this season.

They sign the top free agent, raising expectations immensely, but didn't substantially address their bottom six. They are relatively small and soft and it sounds like teams have started to realize they need to play a physical game to take advantage of that flaw.

They have a core player holding out and now another down for at least a month. They need to resolve the Nylander situation one way or another ASAP.

The defense isn't necessarily good enough outside of a few players. And it is usually hard to upgrade substantially in season without overpaying.

Now everyone is watching Dubas, who doesn't seem to have any answers outside of the obvious. But he did win a Calder Cup, so they have that going for them.

While it is yet to be determined what kind of team they will be... but coming into this season I felt Toronto was awfully reminiscent of the soft Ottawa Senators teams from back in the day.

Additionally, the NHL just seems ripe for a correction in playing style. Every few years there is an onus on a playing style that becomes all the rage (trap, heavy, speed etc.) only to be ursurped by something else.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Watched Flames-Leafs today, and was completely surprised to see James Neal. I must have blinked when he signed in Calgary? If they can get goals out of him, that's a damn good offense. But he seemed lost on the team. He's not on PP1, only has 3 points on the season... just seems like a weird pickup.

But that Gaudreau line. Johnny Hockey can play. I'd like Barzy to pick up some JH in his game. Touring the offensive zone isn't going to work anymore and we don't play run and gun offense. He needs to learn how to pick his spots better and use his linemates more. Eberle has the second best puckhandling skills on this team, and Barzy needs quicker passes at times and better movement without the puck. Barzal is good enough to adjust, but he's trying to do too much right now.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Watched Flames-Leafs today, and was completely surprised to see James Neal. I must have blinked when he signed in Calgary? If they can get goals out of him, that's a damn good offense. But he seemed lost on the team. He's not on PP1, only has 3 points on the season... just seems like a weird pickup.

But that Gaudreau line. Johnny Hockey can play. I'd like Barzy to pick up some JH in his game. Touring the offensive zone isn't going to work anymore and we don't play run and gun offense. He needs to learn how to pick his spots better and use his linemates more. Eberle has the second best puckhandling skills on this team, and Barzy needs quicker passes at times and better movement without the puck. Barzal is good enough to adjust, but he's trying to do too much right now.
And Lindholm. When he was rumored available I suggested him as a trade target and got shot down by people saying he wouldn't be worth what he wanted in a contract. I have a feeling that the Hamilton for Lindholm/Hanifin deal is going to go down as a steal for Calgary long term.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Johnny hockey is by far and away my favorite non-Islander. I cannot believe that in one of the main board trade rumor threads that Flames fans don't believe he is "untouchable" in trade talks. Well at least one Flame fan.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Toronto had 26 last night vs Calgary( Thread should have read Giveaways) i apologize

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That was the Flames first win against The Greatest Show On Ice, in Toronto, since 2011.

#funfacts

Reactions: Quicklime

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Leafs twitter is tearing JT apart and it's hilarious
That must be really upsetting for him. Thankfully he has something to help him through it.

linus.jpg

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Pretty much no long term signing these days is good. Even Crosby Kane and Toews aren’t putting up numbers in their second contract like they did in the first and they certainly aren’t going to get any better soon

Yeah but those guys put up banners, Stanley Cup Banners in their arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad