News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
TSN crew mentioned Montreal is kicking the tires on Ryan O'Reilly and Buffalo wants the 3rd overall in return. The more I think about it, that doesn't sound outlandish. Being that this is a prospect website, I'm sure most of us would rather take the pick but O'Reilly is signed for 5 more years. O'Reilly for 3rd overall sounds bad, but somehow it seems more reasonable once you replace the pick with Zadina/Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi.

Possibly some moving parts as they might trade Pacioretty for futures as well.

It's really bad. I like O'Reilly, and a 3rd overall pick is certainly no guarantee of anything, but the spot Montreal is in, they can't be giving up high picks. Now maybe if they dealt the 3rd overall for O'Reilly + BUF 1st rounder (lottery protected in 2019, 2020, unprotected in 2021), that could make some sense. But I doubt that could work.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yeah, Montreal's in a tough spot with Price/Weber and whether they want to try to compete with them as cornerstones.

My initial thought was that 3rd overall was an outrageous ask, but it didn't seem as bad the more I thought about it. 5 years of O'Reilly versus 7 years of Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi (if it's to be believed that Montreal told Zadina they weren't taking him).

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Yeah, Montreal's in a tough spot with Price/Weber and whether they want to try to compete with them as cornerstones.

My initial thought was that 3rd overall was an outrageous ask, but it didn't seem as bad the more I thought about it. 5 years of O'Reilly versus 7 years of Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi (if it's to be believed that Montreal told Zadina they weren't taking him).

O’Reilly isn’t Taylor Hall or Nate MacKinnon, meaning he’s not the type of player that is going to take a very shaky team on his back and take them to the playoffs. Likely whoever they otherwise take at 3 won’t ever be that either, but at least there’s an outside chance it becomes something close to that eventually. Still, by the time Montreal has a roster where a guy like O’Reilly makes a difference, he won’t be the same player anymore.

They’re really just in denial it seems.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
If Montreal wasn't stupid they'd rebuild, the Price & Weber contracts are abhorrent but they're still good enough players that I bet some shortsighted teams would trade for them, the only truly unmovable deal they have is Alzner but 4.6m on a 79.5m cap isn't going to hamstring them significantly going forward.

They have a bunch of picks this year including third overall, plus Drouin, Domi & Gallagher are all young enough to keep around through a rebuild. They should just go BPA in the draft and tear it down completely, they won't though.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If Montreal wasn't stupid they'd rebuild, the Price & Weber contracts are abhorrent but they're still good enough players that I bet some shortsighted teams would trade for them, the only truly unmovable deal they have is Alzner but 4.6m on a 79.5m cap isn't going to hamstring them significantly going forward.

They have a bunch of picks this year including third overall, plus Drouin, Domi & Gallagher are all young enough to keep around through a rebuild. They should just go BPA in the draft and tear it down completely, they won't though.

I think the Weber deal is theoretically a huge asset for a floor team, and he doesn't have an NTC so he can definitely be traded to one of them. He has a remaining cap hit of over $60M but will only be paid $30M - that represents a very large savings. You can't count it as a $30M savings because of how teams near the floor typically operate, but it's at least a $15M savings over that time.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I think the Weber deal is theoretically a huge asset for a floor team, and he doesn't have an NTC so he can definitely be traded to one of them. He has a remaining cap hit of over $60M but will only be paid $30M - that represents a very large savings. You can't count it as a $30M savings because of how teams near the floor typically operate, but it's at least a $15M savings over that time.

Yeah there's definitely teams that would take Weber, I find it hard to believe they couldn't move Price if they wanted to either. Maybe not for great value, but when he's healthy Price is the best goaltender in the league and he's only 30. Yeah the contract sucks, but there's always teams that want to go all-in for the cup for a few years with little regard for the future, one of them would gamble on an elite goalie like Price. Odds are the cap continues to increase anyway, five years from now the percentage of cap they take up could be significantly less.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I very much agree with this. The Isles aren't nearly as far away as people think. They needed a decent coach which they got. They need a good goalie, which I'm sure they're on the hunt for now. They need a couple defensemen, and have the trade chips to get them. They need to re-sign JT, and it looks pretty probable now.

Starting with one of the top offenses in the league is a pretty good inheritance for Lou.

Hahaha I don’t get it everyone said snow was horrible. Yet lou has inherited a team that is “close”? What type of team did shero inherit here from lou? Lol just can’t make this stuff up.

So lou lucks into Matthews and a team already well on a rebuild then he goes to the isles with a rookie of the year and possibly jt lol. Yet he leaves shero holding the bag here and everyto he thinks he’s some amazing gm?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hahaha I don’t get it everyone said snow was horrible. Yet lou has inherited a team that is “close”? What type of team did shero inherit here from lou? Lol just can’t make this stuff up.

So lou lucks into Matthews and a team already well on a rebuild then he goes to the isles with a rookie of the year and possibly jt lol. Yet he leaves shero holding the bag here and everyto he thinks he’s some amazing gm?
The problems with the Islanders are pretty obvious. Even a monkey could figure out the areas they need to address. Apparently, Snow wasn't as smart as a monkey.

They accrued a bunch of scoring talent because they've been so bad they've had high draft picks year after year which they eventually hit on. I don't give Snow much credit for that.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think anybody is saying Lou is an amazing GM, but he's at least competent, where Snow failed to address his team's needs time and again. Lou knew he needed a goalie in Toronto and went out and got Andersen. What has Snow done? Relied on the rotting carcasses of Halak and Greiss for the last two years and hired a coach that made the MacLean era here look like well structured hockey.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Sources: Zucker, Niederreiter, Coyle all in the middle of...

and there we go, we can start talking about neiderreiter now

i'll settle for fellow BU alum charlie coyle tho

Going to be hard to land any of those guys without 2nd and 3rds.

Only shot is if Shero trades back and gets a 2nd or 3rd then maybe deals that pick and a prospect or something to the Wild for someone. Nino and Coyle arent wroth 17OA IMO. Zucker might be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
10 Thoughts: Bergevin looking to add centre, defenceman for Canadiens - Sportsnet.ca

They also talk about the Wild in #7...btw THIS is the kind of stuff the Devils can use their cap for (Ennis is only signed for next year btw)

Yea this changes the value and makes it possible without the picks possibly.

This is a Shero move. Grab a young prospect and deal with Ennis for a year. Make him a 13th forward fill in guy, who cares. If it gets you one of those guys then its a win.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Honestly this is all very phenomenal for the Islanders... Almost looks like they have their shit... Together? For once? Wow.

I'd also like to point out the irony how they're barred from moving back to the Coliseum full-time while they build Belmont because it's "too small."

Watch them sell out every game in Uniondale this year at 14.5K and average less than 12K at Barclays, since now all the people from the Island who begrudgingly trekked out to Atlantic Terminal quite literally have zero reason to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad