News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Trotz, JT and Carlson would be a trifecta, I had predicted that a few weeks ago.

You mean you predicted that the only free agent coach would go to the only place with a head coaching vacancy? Good work Ms. Cleo.

-----

Lou can't draft anymore, we saw that firsthand. I'm not going to start worrying about the Islanders for a few years. Certainly some good news for them, though.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You clearly have been missing my point. My point is not to argue Lou’s post-lockout record has been exceptional. My point is - players like JT do not look at Lou and his resume with the same hyper-partisan microscope fans do. He’s not paying attention to the Devils or the Leafs on a day in day out basis. Here’s what JT sees when you put Lou Lamoriello in front of him:

-Thirty years as a GM with three Cups and like 25 winning seasons with playoff appearances
-Got to the SCF as recently as 2012
-Presided over a vast turnaround in Toronto going from cellar dweller to back to back playoffs
-Respected around all hockey circles with a no-nonsense culture

That’s it, it’s a bottom line mentality...players aren’t sitting there breaking down Lou letting FA’s walk (none of whom were Marty, Stevens or Elias btw) or the Devils’ post-2000 drafting. And that resume looks even better stacked up against your guy Garth’s resume and the lack of success JT had.

And not for nothing but Lou’s main criticism here in his latter years was how bad he was with the forwards. He’s got forwards there, he just needs to work on the D and goaltending which even his detractors concede is still his strength.

then JT is an absolute moron if he doesn't take into consideration the "recent" track record of his new boss. that goes for anyone in any business that has multiple offers for employment. "hey i dont know anything about your recent success but i will re-up with you for 8 years because your 75 years old and have been doing this for 30 years" then jt pauses for a second and asks "your the gm of the devils that traded for taylor hall right"? just as his ink is drying on the contract extension lol.

o and lou lam didn't turn around dinky do in leaf nation. he was a figure head plain and simple. if you think differently then i really doubt the leafs would've let him walk.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Your anti-Lou stance is pretty comical. The honest truth of 'We couldn't attract/keep UFAs' is:
Like Shero said last week, UFA is not the way to build a team.

As far as the 'not keeping':
Gomez - Why try to match that albatross contract?
Holik - Why try to match that albatross contract?
Parise - Why try to match that albatross contract? Went home.
Clarkson - Why try to match that albatross contract?
Rafalski - Went home.
Niedermayer - Went to brother (and home since his folks could travel from BC).

What did you miss out on, exactly? On the surface, these are held to Lou's detriment - in reality, they are part of the reason why we ended up in the Cup Final in 2012 - which is almost 30 years since the last time the Isles were in the Cup final.

Let the Isles have their day. Lou added a rudder to the rudderless ship with some decent talent. If he succeeds in bringing Tavares back in, they could have a considerable turnaround and they've already had the most productive off-season since when?

I'm not an Isles fan, but I hate the Rangers, and I totally want to see Lou succeed and add to his legend- even if it makes it so we have to play those guys in the playoffs year after year.

the point is you don't let your players get to the point of entertaining those "albatross" contracts. if you don't think you can sign them then you move them (kinda like what cbj is rumored to be doing now). also its pretty remarkable how many players and coaches on this team have left to go play for "home/family". i'm asking honestly cause i don't know but does that happen often in the nhl?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You get zero credit for “predicting” anything because you throw so much at the wall that you are wrong 95% of the time and luck out the other 5%. Are you trying to be Eklund Jr?

You're jumping to conclusions, as usual.

I don't need credit, just pointing it out as I was told it was impossible by a few of the usual suspects.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
then JT is an absolute moron if he doesn't take into consideration the "recent" track record of his new boss. that goes for anyone in any business that has multiple offers for employment. "hey i dont know anything about your recent success but i will re-up with you for 8 years because your 75 years old and have been doing this for 30 years" then jt pauses for a second and asks "your the gm of the devils that traded for taylor hall right"? just as his ink is drying on the contract extension lol.

o and lou lam didn't turn around dinky do in leaf nation. he was a figure head plain and simple. if you think differently then i really doubt the leafs would've let him walk.

Lou's 'recent' track record includes a Finals appearance six years ago and playoff appearances the last two with a rebuilding team. Again you're looking at it through a microscope (a tinted one at that) and not with bottom line logic that players need to. JT's not sitting there wondering how much Shanny or Lou had to do with the Leafs turnaround. He's not sitting there debating how much VBK's money problems had to do with Lou missing the playoffs the last three years here although that was certainly the common belief from the outside.

Reactions: sabremike

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
NYb is prime for a quick rebuild when they get a goalie.

They have a ton of picks this year too. They fleeced Calgary
I very much agree with this. The Isles aren't nearly as far away as people think. They needed a decent coach which they got. They need a good goalie, which I'm sure they're on the hunt for now. They need a couple defensemen, and have the trade chips to get them. They need to re-sign JT, and it looks pretty probable now.

Starting with one of the top offenses in the league is a pretty good inheritance for Lou.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Chiarelli is looking to trade the 10th overall pick lol.

Shero should take a run at this and fleece him again.

Then turn that pick along with our 17th overall into a package for Erik Karlsson. Ottawa gets 2 more first round picks this year while missing one for next year.

A person can dream.

Seriously though, Chiarelli announcing he is looking to trade is just gonna have the sharks circling around because they smell blood.

Reactions: glenwo2

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Chiarelli is looking to trade the 10th overall pick lol.

Shero should take a run at this and fleece him again.

Then turn that pick along with our 17th overall into a package for Erik Karlsson. Ottawa gets 2 more first round picks this year while missing one for next year.

A person can dream.

Seriously though, Chiarelli announcing he is looking to trade is just gonna have the sharks circling around because they smell blood.
we might be able to give them less than 10+17 for karlsson, since he's only got a year on his contract. it would theoretically be really interesting. like:

severson for 10OA
10OA+17OA for karlsson

so basically severson + 17OA for karlsson

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I very much agree with this. The Isles aren't nearly as far away as people think. They needed a decent coach which they got. They need a good goalie, which I'm sure they're on the hunt for now. They need a couple defensemen, and have the trade chips to get them. They need to re-sign JT, and it looks pretty probable now.

Starting with one of the top offenses in the league is a pretty good inheritance for Lou.

I said this within the last few weeks as well. To be perfectly honest I can see them finishing the year with a better record than us, as long as Tavares stays, if they get a better goalie. They're not a bad team that will take forever to rebuild.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

You make lou seem like he knows nothing about hockey... and you sound like an idiot

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Lou's 'recent' track record includes a Finals appearance six years ago and playoff appearances the last two with a rebuilding team. Again you're looking at it through a microscope (a tinted one at that) and not with bottom line logic that players need to. JT's not sitting there wondering how much Shanny or Lou had to do with the Leafs turnaround. He's not sitting there debating how much VBK's money problems had to do with Lou missing the playoffs the last three years here although that was certainly the common belief from the outside.
You're assuming hes looking with any logic what so ever

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Just when I thought NYb was about to enter another Dark Age, Lou comes in and turns it all around :ha:

Didn't you think they were a playoff team through much of the year? :laugh:

Let's wait and see what happens before we proclaim they've turned it around. Trotz is obviously a massive upgrade, but imagine if Tavares decides to walk after all? That would be a significant blow.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Didn't you think they were a playoff team through much of the year? :laugh:

Let's wait and see what happens before we proclaim they've turned it around. Trotz is obviously a massive upgrade, but imagine if Tavares decides to walk after all? That would be a significant blow.

I kind of think the fix is in at this point though. You would think Lou (and to a larger degree Trotz himself) aren't going to be there if they didn't have a pretty good idea JT would be. I think JT's just going to do his dog and pony show to meet with the five teams he wants to meet with then come back, unless someone does something insane like offer a 7 year max money contract or he has a particular location in mind. And we know Lou's a win-now GM so he's gonna do his darndest to flip at least one of the Isles' first rounders for an immediate upgrade tomorrow.

But yes it would be one hilarious troll if JT left anyway. The optomism baloon would pop faster than you could snap your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad