News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I kind of think the fix is in at this point though. You would think Lou (and to a larger degree Trotz himself) aren't going to be there if they didn't have a pretty good idea JT would be. I think JT's just going to do his dog and pony show to meet with the five teams he wants to meet with then come back, unless someone does something insane like offer a 7 year max money contract or he has a particular location in mind. And we know Lou's a win-now GM so he's gonna do his darndest to flip at least one of the Isles' first rounders for an immediate upgrade tomorrow.

But yes it would be one hilarious troll if JT left anyway. The optomism baloon would pop faster than you could snap your fingers.

You're absolutely right, and I'm sure that's what will end up happening. That said, it's always humorous to see the proclamations that teams have turned it around. The Rangers have turned it around because they have multiple firsts (because teams have never had 1st round picks bust before), the Islanders finally have a prolific coach so they've figured it out when their defense and goaltending is still pretty suspect even with Tavares coming back.

We can't ever just let things play out around here. :laugh:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
the point is you don't let your players get to the point of entertaining those "albatross" contracts. if you don't think you can sign them then you move them (kinda like what cbj is rumored to be doing now). also its pretty remarkable how many players and coaches on this team have left to go play for "home/family". i'm asking honestly cause i don't know but does that happen often in the nhl?

Easier said than done. See Erik Karlsson. See JT. etc...

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Just when I thought NYb was about to enter another Dark Age, Lou comes in and turns it all around :ha:

It is much, much, much too early to speak in absolutes about Lou’s “tenure” there.

Personally, I’ll believe it when I see it. I have a hard time seeing them putting out a better team next year than they did this year, and this year they utterly flopped.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It is much, much, much too early to speak in absolutes about Lou’s “tenure” there.

Personally, I’ll believe it when I see it. I have a hard time seeing them putting out a better team next year than they did this year, and this year they utterly flopped.

They'll be better just from coaching...and I do think Lou will upgrade goaltending one way or another before the season starts. But they're not going to be a real contender until they upgrade that D and unless they sign Carlson AND keep deHaan I don't see where he's gonna be able to do that. At best in the immediate future they'll be Leafs 2.0.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I kind of think the fix is in at this point though. You would think Lou (and to a larger degree Trotz himself) aren't going to be there if they didn't have a pretty good idea JT would be. I think JT's just going to do his dog and pony show to meet with the five teams he wants to meet with then come back, unless someone does something insane like offer a 7 year max money contract or he has a particular location in mind. And we know Lou's a win-now GM so he's gonna do his darndest to flip at least one of the Isles' first rounders for an immediate upgrade tomorrow.

But yes it would be one hilarious troll if JT left anyway. The optomism baloon would pop faster than you could snap your fingers.

Yeah, JT ain't leaving NYb at this point

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
yes both guys stuck on horrible teams. compared to guys looking to leave insanely success team

You're just monday morning QBing. Each case was different - and in most cases (if not all) Lou made a competitive offer - but either the Rags dangled a monstrous carrot (that turned into an albatross later) or home beckoned.

What, JP Parise's cancer would've gone away if Zach signed in NJ? Would it have been a Hamonic style situation for Zach?
Would the flight have become shorter for Nieds's parents overnight if he had signed here or a contingency that we trade for his brother?

At some point you've got to realize that it is a human being making a decision at the end of it, and I cannot for the life of me see one situation where it made sense to do other than what happened if I'm in their shoes.

The players aren't dummies - they want to make it to UFA to make $$$ so it is likely that none of them would re-up ahead of time.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be wild trade wise. With Tavares seemingly off the table and the names being shopped it could get interesting.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't recall DD saying it but I do know there were grumblings about it as far back as the first round and a bit earlier that Trotz was on the outs almost no matter what.

Back then there were more coaching openings though. By the time of the Finals everyone but the Isles had been filled and the Isles were just going through a management change.

I don't remember anyone predicting Lou would go to the Isles, mostly cause people assumed they were locked into Snow forever and wouldn't make a change until the initial rumors started (and some laughed them off cause they were from Staple).

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be wild trade wise. With Tavares seemingly off the table and the names being shopped it could get interesting.
Wingers seem to be in a holding pattern based off where Kovy goes, at least when it comes to skinner, same 5-6 teams looking at wings

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If this wasn't the most predictable hire the second Trotz left Washington....

Too bad Chiarelli has yet to realize how shitty the coach he has is. He could have tried to court Trotz.

If Lou likes Trotz so much, why did he bring back Pete on the last day of the regular season when it was probably already apparent Trotz was gonna be out in Nashville, only to fire Pete not even halfway into the next season? I remember wanting Trotz at the time, but Lou seemed to get scared that Shanahan was gonna steal Pete away if we didn't bring him back.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it’s just as plausible that talks are “heating up” because they’d trade his rights for picks by tomorrow if he doesn’t want to resign.

i think there’s a better chance he stays now with these moves, but i haven’t seen anything he’s done other than spit out the token soundbite of the noncommittal “id like to stay here” line that every free agent says

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
TSN crew mentioned Montreal is kicking the tires on Ryan O'Reilly and Buffalo wants the 3rd overall in return. The more I think about it, that doesn't sound outlandish. Being that this is a prospect website, I'm sure most of us would rather take the pick but O'Reilly is signed for 5 more years. O'Reilly for 3rd overall sounds bad, but somehow it seems more reasonable once you replace the pick with Zadina/Tkachuk/Kotkaniemi.

Possibly some moving parts as they might trade Pacioretty for futures as well.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So with JT pretty much gone, San Jose going to go all in on the Russian merc?

It would make sense, given the Pete connection. Plus they moved Boedker out so they could use another winger. Doug Wilson isn't afraid to go big game hunting either, so he might have something else in mind. Karlsson maybe? Although I'm not sure Dorion wants to do business with him after the Hoffman trade.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
it’s just as plausible that talks are “heating up” because they’d trade his rights for picks by tomorrow if he doesn’t want to resign.

i think there’s a better chance he stays now with these moves, but i haven’t seen anything he’s done other than spit out the token soundbite of the noncommittal “id like to stay here” line that every free agent says

Lou just said he won't trade him. And I agree, they can't trade him. They didn't bring in Lou Lamoriello to get maybe a 2nd round pick for Tavares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad