News Article: News and Notes XXVI: A Sisyphean Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They'll decide in September 2019. If NHL or NHLPA opts out of the CBA at that time, it terminates in summer 2020. Otherwise, 2022.

Somewhat off topic but somewhat not...I wonder if the timing of a potential lockout helps CAR in signing Fox next spring. If Fox waits to go to UFA in August of 2020, he may be staring down the next work stoppage, however long that lasts, before he gets to plan NHL hockey. Signing in March/April of 2019, however, gives him a shot at mop up time in the last few games of the current NHL season and the full season of 2019-20. Hopefully, the braintrust can sell him on something like that to get his name on the dotted line...

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The only hope we have of them not opening up early are the things that are set to occur in 2020. The NHL still seems to want Seattle that year, and that wouldn't be an ideal start. That's also when they would want to do the next World Cup, and there's been some speculation they wouldn't love to have the World Cup and then a lockout like in 2004.

Now, that doesn't necessarily stop the players from wanting to open it, but then perhaps they try to leverage the next Olympics to not open it early. Of course, the interesting thing with that is that the players rejected an extension of the current CBA by 3 years in exchange for going to the last Olympics.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
So 5 years as an RFA (if he signs in the spring then this season gets knocked off) or stay 1 more year at Harvard, graduate, and become a UFA?

Not exactly. They get to pick where they go but they aren't UFAs until they hit 27 (?) or 7 years in the NHL.

For example: Jimmy Vesey went this route and signed with NYR in 2016. He just finished his first 2 year deal and had to go through RFA negotiations. It isn't as if he had the freedom again as a UFA after locking in with NYR. I'm not 100% on this but IIRC they also might have a salary constraint. I think I remember seeing at one point that Schultz (who also went the NCAA 4 year route) could only sign for ELC max of ~$3.7 million at the time.

With the $$ that top-end RFAs are getting coming off their ELCs these days, IMO Fox would be silly not to sign with the Canes at the tail end of this season, burn one ELC year, and start next year on 2/3 of his ELC. He could be looking at a $5+ million long-term deal by 2020.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Not exactly. They get to pick where they go but they aren't UFAs until they hit 27 (?) or 7 years in the NHL.

For example: Jimmy Vesey went this route and signed with NYR in 2016. He just finished his first 2 year deal and had to go through RFA negotiations. It isn't as if he had the freedom again as a UFA after locking in with NYR. I'm not 100% on this but IIRC they also might have a salary constraint. I think I remember seeing at one point that Schultz (who also went the NCAA 4 year route) could only sign for ELC max of ~$3.7 million at the time.

With the $$ that top-end RFAs are getting coming off their ELCs these days, IMO Fox would be silly not to sign with the Canes at the tail end of this season, burn one ELC year, and start next year on 2/3 of his ELC. He could be looking at a $5+ million long-term deal by 2020.

Ah, that makes more sense; it doesn't seem like as hard of a sell I was originally thinking. Thanks for the breakdown.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...o-nylander-s-agent-about-a-contract-1.1210171

Waddell also says that an offer sheet doesn't make sense as "The problem with our situation is that we could be, very easily, another lottery pick this year. We could have a top-3 pick again". Fun times.

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it. I'm still curious as to what expectations Dundell had for team performance this year.

When TD said something to the effect of "...if this doesn't work, I'll look pretty dumb"...was that in context of team performance this year or to a longer-term plan...the "this" being all the unorthodox moves.

If it's the latter, have they been upfront about their vision? I haven't heard any discussion of a rebuild plan.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't seen it. I'm still curious as to what expectations Dundell had for team performance this year.

When TD said something to the effect of "...if this doesn't work, I'll look pretty dumb"...was that in context of team performance this year or to a longer-term plan...the "this" being all the unorthodox moves.

If it's the latter, have they been upfront about their vision? I haven't heard any discussion of a rebuild plan.
you're almost certainly not going to hear anything about a rebuild plan as long as playoffs are even the slightest mathematical possibility. they're in the business of getting butts in seats, and will definitely put on a face of playoffs or bust until the need to change that arises.

the remark about being a lottery pick, I personally took it as emblematic of how jumbled up the middle of the eastern conference is so far. there's still a few months for all of that to shake out.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

The technical term that CBA uses for out of college guys is "Draft-related UFA". It's a bad and confusing term, as them boys are still subject to the actual UFA rule of having to have turned 27 before June 30, and to the Entry-Level System rules incl. salary constrains, but they also can get the ELC-specific Performance Bonuses (on the contract that is, actually getting the $2M B bonus takes some doing)*.

The ELC gets shorter as the boyos age (signing age = age at Sept 15th of the signing year):

18-21: 3 years
22-23: 2 years
24: 1 year (also Euros 25-27)
25 and older (28 if Euro) No required number of years, not in the Entry Level System and not subject to limits on compensation

Fox is 22 if he signs in 2019 and 23 if in 2020, so it's 2 years either way.

@spockrock, it's also possibe for Fox to get the Harvard ed and sign the ELC in March-April 2020 to burn the first year on 2019-20 season. If he waits to go Draft-related UFA on August 16th, he's going to serve two years and be RFA in summer 2022 and possibly face a lockout then if it doesn't happen in 2020.

* We will obviously give it and the whole $3.775M AAV shebang to Fox.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Gee, this Waddell sure sounds different than the Waddell that spoke after trading Skinner.

If only there was some kind of foresight, some kind of historic evidence that would have shown the Canes would struggle to score. But alas, this circumstance must have caught Waddell completely off guard...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Didn't see it posted by anyone else. Sara had a nice article up highlighting TT's play so far this season:

Why fix what isn't broken?

8 of TT's 15 points this year have been secondary assists. He always looks like he has more in him than he is currently giving. I'd give him $4-5 million x 2-3 years and send him to UFA.

By comparison (IMO) Ferland has been making an order of magnitude greater impact on that line. Much higher priority to get locked down on a 3-5 year deal for decent money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad