News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The only thing I'm worried about is if we try to make too many changes. Something like Skinner, Faulk, and Darling out, Saad and Martinez in is fine. But if we start moving guys like Hanifin without a legit #1C (which isn't O'Reilly) coming back I'm REALLY concerned going forward.

My sense is you'll only see 2 of Skinner, Faulk, Hanifin, Lindholm, or Rask moved out. It just doesn't make sense given the remainder of the turnover in the roster, the likelihood that 3 or, even potentially, 4 rookies make the team, and there's a new guy behind the bench....also, I'd love to see ROR on the team but not at the expense of the overpayments that I've seen on the trade board (and even proposed here).

True. For that reason, I'm betting his agent is pushing for a lower term deal, thinking that with Brind'Amour now coaching and Svechnikov and Necas joining the team, that Lindholm will break-out and command much more on the next deal.

And I'd be absolutely fine with that. If you're Lindy's agent you're likely pushing for a 1 or 2 year deal at higher AAV if the team isn't getting close to your longer term contract demands.

The first 6 pages won’t even be intelligible.

And this is different how.....?

Just table talk at the poker game, boys. Don't get too wound up over it.

^^^This right here...

Russo of The Athletic says that the Canes have “significant interest” in Minnesota LW Jason Zucker (RFA). Niederreiter and Coyle also potentially available.

This rumor right here might just have legs....might make some sense if they're thinking Skinner, but I don't know why the Wild would do that....ditto w/Faulk (they are deep on the right side)....who would Hanifin replace? Maybe there'd be something around Lindholm....but again, they look fairly strong down the middle. I'm just not seeing the trade that Minnesota would make to get better....unless there's something around dumping Ennis in the deal.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
My sense is you'll only see 2 of Skinner, Faulk, Hanifin, Lindholm, or Rask moved out. It just doesn't make sense given the remainder of the turnover in the roster, the likelihood that 3 or, even potentially, 4 rookies make the team, and there's a new guy behind the bench....also, I'd love to see ROR on the team but not at the expense of the overpayments that I've seen on the trade board (and even proposed here).

And I'd be absolutely fine with that. If you're Lindy's agent you're likely pushing for a 1 or 2 year deal at higher AAV if the team isn't getting close to your longer term contract demands.

And this is different how.....?

^^^This right here...

This rumor right here might just have legs....might make some sense if they're thinking Skinner, but I don't know why the Wild would do that....ditto w/Faulk (they are deep on the right side)....who would Hanifin replace? Maybe there'd be something around Lindholm....but again, they look fairly strong down the middle. I'm just not seeing the trade that Minnesota would make to get better....unless there's something around dumping Ennis in the deal.

It also says in the article that Fenton has been trying to dump Ennis. Russo suggested a deal that was close was Niederreiter + Zucker + Ennis for Domi + Dvorak. If those are the prices then they seem pretty reasonable.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Gotta think Faulk is part of Minnesota's ask. They may not need him per se, but he's still a bit of a hero up there.
While I agree with the hero part and, more so, would love Nino on this team, there's no room at the inn for young Justin. Spurgeon and Dumba hold down the right side of the fort in their top 4. You're not really bringing in Faulk as a 3rd pairing guy, are you? Besides, Dumba seems to be one of their right shots on the PP. Are you replacing him? I honestly don't know, but I don't see that deal.

I could see something around Nino or Coyle and Skinner w/Ennis being a cap dump...Does Skinner's scoring make up the difference in salary?

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I really hate the new NHL that says d-men can only play their shooting side.

Paul Coffey and Charlie Huddy. Larry Robinson and Guy Lapointe. Scott Niedermayer and Scott Stevens. All lefties. Many Cups.

I think there's probably too much emphasis on it, but at the same time Goalies also used to win Cups by making kick saves and never going into a butterfly. Doesn't mean it would be advisable to try now though. The game changes and people adapt, something that worked in the past may not work today.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Lebrun’s new article says the Canes and Montreal were close to a trade for Rask that had two second round picks coming our way, and Bergevin balked at the price.

I would say doing it for one after the season he had would be fine with me, but now that Lindy is gone we may actually need Rask to play center.
Aho, Staal, Necas, warm body. We'll still be fine without him. I really, really don't like how slow we are down the center when Rask and Staal are both centering key lines. Necas and Aho will make us both fast and shifty in the middle. Unless Rask fixes his game fast, I think he needs to be regarded as a depth winger and emergency center option.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Looking at the hole Hanifin left, I see two ways Carolina tries to fill it. I’m thinking either a Calvin de Haan style signing to play on the second pairing, or we sign an Ian Cole or a John Moore to play on the third pairing. The same moves could be made for similar players through trade as well, of course.

I just don’t see the brain trust running Fleury and Bean as two thirds of our LHD . I think what it’ll really come down to is whether they can be convinced to plant Fleury in a top four role next to Hamilton, all the while giving TvR a solid and stable NHL journeyman on the bottom pairing.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Faulk + Darling for Saad + Hossa

my lineup:

Neal/JVR - Aho - TT
McGinn - Staal - Williams
Saad - Necas - Svechnikov --Saad gives 2 way physical presence to help the rookies and can actually shoot the puck
??? - Rask - Ferland

Would look so much better if we could have swapped Hanifin and ROR
Aho - ROR - TT

Goalie is looking less and less hopeful as options disappear. Resign Ward and sign Halak?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Faulk + Darling for Saad + Hossa

my lineup:

Neal/JVR - Aho - TT
McGinn - Staal - Williams
Saad - Necas - Svechnikov --Saad gives 2 way physical presence to help the rookies and can actually shoot the puck
??? - Rask - Ferland

Would look so much better if we could have swapped Hanifin and ROR
Aho - ROR - TT

Goalie is looking less and less hopeful as options disappear. Resign Ward and sign Halak?
I’d try to get the rights to that Russian goalie prospect that is asking for a trade out of Chicago in your trade. Should be doable given his request and the fact they are taking back a goalie anyway.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Curious how we handle Skinner/Faulk trades now. Think we still need three players: a top 6 LW, a top 4 LHD, and obviously a goalie. The Faulk/Darling for Saad/Hossa deal makes even more sense now, wouldn't be surprised if that happens. Not sure about D or G trade targets, it'd be nice to get a more offensively minded lefty to play with Pesce and have Slavin-Hamilton as the top pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad