News and Notes XXI: The Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
lol in Peters' media availability today he says PDG not likely to play tonight unless someone can't go. then the "don't want him up here not playing" line follows, I guess referring to games after tonight. so in summary, nothing is real.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
so that means PDG will play?

**** that then, I rather would like
to see Zykov/Wallmark

I agree that I'd rather see Zykov or Wallmark, but I can see the sense behind this. As long as McGinn-Ryan-Williams is working Peters isn't gonna break them up or take Ryan out of the lineup. So the spot likely to rotate into will be on the 4th line, and PDG is better suited for that than either of the 2 young guys. If they're gonna be called up I want them playing top 9 instead

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I agree that I'd rather see Zykov or Wallmark, but I can see the sense behind this. As long as McGinn-Ryan-Williams is working Peters isn't gonna break them up or take Ryan out of the lineup. So the spot likely to rotate into will be on the 4th line, and PDG is better suited for that than either of the 2 young guys. If they're gonna be called up I want them playing top 9 instead
While agree with that, why there is need for rotation now, when we are now playing decent?

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
To further the point about getting to the net, I found this chart from The Athletic (about how good the Leafs are at getting to the net) pretty telling

View media item 755
That’s us there near the bottom. Interesting that a couple of good teams (STL, Winnipeg) are at the bottom and still winning though.

I'll take your word for it, I guess...

HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League - Error

You do not have permission to view media within this album.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think there are times we get ahead of ourselves as it pertains to players having strong starts in the AHL. Not in the sense that they're not going to be able to maintain it, but in the sense that showing a real pulse entitles someone to come up right away. That's a sucker move from the Dalpe, Bowman, Boychuk days. For me, seeing the progression in the AHL needs to be something that is measured in half season intervals to prevent sample size from fouling up the metric. Unless someone is absolutely dusting the league like Jake Guentzel was last season, it's not going to impact them negatively to stay down there and continue to build confidence. Don't flip the burger too soon.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah we're not really there yet, in terms of needing him to be called up either. I think it takes a few months to see what we really have before you should change it up. As long as we're competitive anyways. Stempniak being out for an extended time makes it that much harder to figure.

Let those guys in the AHL be overripe.

A wrist shot like that had no business going in. I highly doubt he was shooting to score. I like his game around the net though. He's got a really strong core, he could be very dangerous on the cycle if he clicks up here.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I mean Zykov has had a lot more NHL like goals than that highlight. Most of the ones
I've been seeing from him are top corner snipes and banging in rebounds in front of the net. He impressed me during his callup last season, I'm eager to see him get another callup.

Also anyone have word on Wallmark? He's been listed as injured I think the last 2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad