News and Notes Thread VII: Ch ch ch changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Canes resigned Gleason!! Now as long as we don't bring back Pitkanen we will be set!! Wahoo! I don't care if its a rebuilding year, I'm pumped for some Canes hockey!!

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Sooo, Wayne Gretzky is part of a group trying to bring a team to Seattle.....Uh Oh.....

Why did hey hire Waddell again?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
FWIW, the main reason that the Thrashers moved is because they literally did not have an arena to play in. ASG, who owned the Thrashers, wanted to sell the team, but also did not want the team to play in Phillips Arena (which they own).

Without that caveat, the Thrashers would still be in Atlanta, as they had several offers for the team (including the now legendary "The Balkan").

The 'Canes basically run PNC Arena (on the condition that NC State gets first dibbs on choice dates for basketball), which is a HUGE plus to our situation.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Raleigh is a fine location for the franchise. what's needed is not relocation but for Karmanos to sell the team to a better owner/s.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Dave beat me to it. Miami fans don't support anything

Honestly though, it's one of the biggest reasons that MLS pisses me off so much right now. They'd rather put teams in locations that already have them (LA, NYC), or put them in sexy sounding locations that are absolutely notorious for terrible fan support (Atlanta, Miami) instead of putting them in areas that are already soccer hotbeds even without top level teams in the US (Austin, Raleigh, St Louis).

If they were smart they'd be looking for markets that are just flat out sports-crazy (St Louis) or markets that are more likely to become the next Portland or Seattle type success (Raleigh, Austin) then taking the route they are right now.

Basically what I'm saying is Miami sucks, and Atlanta's not much better. Give us our MLS damnit. :laugh:

Raleigh is a fine location for the franchise. what's needed is not relocation but for Karmanos to sell the team to a better owner/s.

Somewhat agreed. The other thing needed is for the org to re-tool a bit. Sadly that's at least a couple years away though. Build depth and get guys on reasonable contracts, jettisoning the albatrosses that are keeping us from making the needed changes from a depth standpoint.

It's hard to say that this market needs to be patient when we've been seemingly rudderless for the last half decade, unable to decide if we should sink or swim, unable to decide whether we can be competitive with what we have or whether we need to move guys for futures. That more then anything has pissed this fanbase right off. Not saying the returns for Ruutu and Gleason back in 2012 or whatever it was would have turned out to be anything, but it's not like retaining them helped matters either. It just stings more that we haven't sniffed the playoffs since then sans the first half of one season, where the team was both overachieving and then completely decimated by injuries finishing far worse then it realistically should have.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh

qtr9wvgsujidg5zri4im.gif

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

As long as this team is going to suck, it might as well be entertaining.

I actually like this from a business perspective. He may or may not have game anymore, but based on his status with the fans this could put a couple more butts in seats.

Francis fully embracing the tank, and maybe still selling tickets while doing it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The whole thing is predicated on LaRose still "having it"

And as long as he still has it, what's one more bottom 6er?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad