News Article: News and Note XXX: Now is the Summer of our Don Waddell Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That's why he fell to #15. Caufield has shown *zero* goal scoring ability because everyone knows that goals can only be scored in the NHL.

Even Tony MacDonald and Ron Francis bought into the lies. How dare he use those words "goal-scorer".
If you want to use past history, Necas's history is the better indicator of success going forward: high pick, more points in AHL at a younger age, etc. If you want to use just preseason, then Goat should win out over Necas. And Foegele. And TT.

I'm glad they are not using just the preseason.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

For fun, to now go down his list that final rosters are in:

Patrick Brown: Waived by VGN, not claimed and sent down to the AHL.
Poturalski: Waived by ANA, not claimed and sent down to the AHL.
"Andres Sarella: Sent down to the AHL by CHI
Trevor Carrick: Waived by SJS, not claimed and sent down to the AHL
Ryan Dzingel: Is playing and it's not a long term injury. "Known to have injury problems" but played in 81, 79 and 78 games the last 3 seasons
Jake Gardiner: "I'm ok with this", yet he was known to have a injury problem last year and was out due to injury (like Dzingel) at the time of the post.
Nedeljkovic: I get why some people don't like that he was sent down, but it's a numbers/salary deal, which is part of the game.
Faulk: A solid NHLr and a top prospect = Pickled Egg? (although in fairness, I like pickled eggs).

LOL.

On a separate note, status of other guys we parted ways with:

Rask: Barely making the Wild roster as a 4th liner.
Roy: Sent down by VGN.
McKegg: Looks to have made the NYR opening night roster
Zykov (last season): Looks to have made the VGN opening night roster.
Renouf: Waived and sent down by COL.
Pu: Sent down by Florida

I'm sure I'm missing a few others, but excluding legit NHLrs like Faulk, de Hann and Ferland, of all the guys the Canes parted with, only McKegg and Zykov (this year) made an NHL roster.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think If we’re all being honest, Gauthier showed a lot more than Foegele did over the pre-season.
Much like last year after the first ten games, Foegele knew he made it. He was definitely going to be on the team. He's not playing with his hair on fire constantly. I would pretty much assume that Gauthier would be the same. Most players aren't going to sustain going all out for the whole year, though I hope Foegele will do it in spots more frequently than he did in his invisible 60 games in the middle of last year.

Gauthier still has plenty to work on in his game. Right now his "world class shot" amounted to him speeding around players and shoving it into the goalie's pad, off the post, or wide. He also still didn't show a ton of vision. Even the chances he was creating for other players this preseason was mostly a result of him taking it to the net. To really become and NHL player, he's going to need to improve on that aspect of his game as well.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If you want to use past history, Necas's history is the better indicator of success going forward: high pick, more points in AHL at a younger age, etc. If you want to use just preseason, then Goat should win out over Necas. And Foegele. And TT.

I'm glad they are not using just the preseason.

It would be a moot point if the Canes weren't running a bare-bones 20 man roster to start the year. Both Gauthier and Necas would be on the team and interchangeable based on performance and situation. This is likely still the case with Gauthier just waiting on a call in Charlotte.

The team is certainly using preseason to determine the roster. Rod mentioned it in just about every single post-practice and post-game video available. They just decided Necas deserved the first shot. The preseason is not limited to preseason games. The Canes coaches have been working with these guys every day in practice and see a lot more than we are privy too. I thought Necas looked pretty bad during the preseason games so it is actually comforting to me that the Canes felt he deserved the first shot based on their complete info. Similar situation with Haydn Fleury.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
FWIW -

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...-ranking-all-31-nhl-defenseman-groups-2019-20

giphy.gif

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
For fun, to now go down his list that final rosters are in:

Patrick Brown: Waived by VGN, not claimed and sent down to the AHL.
Poturalski: Waived by ANA, not claimed and sent down to the AHL.
"Andres Sarella: Sent down to the AHL by CHI
Trevor Carrick: Waived by SJS, not claimed and sent down to the AHL
Ryan Dzingel: Is playing and it's not a long term injury. "Known to have injury problems" but played in 81, 79 and 78 games the last 3 seasons
Jake Gardiner: "I'm ok with this", yet he was known to have a injury problem last year and was out due to injury (like Dzingel) at the time of the post.
Nedeljkovic: I get why some people don't like that he was sent down, but it's a numbers/salary deal, which is part of the game.
Faulk: A solid NHLr and a top prospect = Pickled Egg? (although in fairness, I like pickled eggs).

LOL.

On a separate note, status of other guys we parted ways with:

Rask: Barely making the Wild roster as a 4th liner.
Roy: Sent down by VGN.
McKegg: Looks to have made the NYR opening night roster
Zykov (last season): Looks to have made the VGN opening night roster.
Renouf: Waived and sent down by COL.
Pu: Sent down by Florida

I'm sure I'm missing a few others, but excluding legit NHLrs like Faulk, de Hann and Ferland, of all the guys the Canes parted with, only McKegg and Zykov (this year) made an NHL roster.
not to mention that the checkers' new teams paid premiums for them. patrick brown is getting a guaranteed 450k this year and is a *one-way* next year, andrew poturalski is getting a guaranteed 425k, etc. does anyone think it would have been a good idea to match those contracts, looking at the checkers still stacked roster? some fans just wanted us to hang onto older ahl types because they won a championship, regardless of the cost. i guess it's easy to want to give a guaranteed $1.15 million to patrick brown if it's not your money.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Much like last year after the first ten games, Foegele knew he made it. He was definitely going to be on the team. He's not playing with his hair on fire constantly. I would pretty much assume that Gauthier would be the same. Most players aren't going to sustain going all out for the whole year, though I hope Foegele will do it in spots more frequently than he did in his invisible 60 games in the middle of last year.

Gauthier still has plenty to work on in his game. Right now his "world class shot" amounted to him speeding around players and shoving it into the goalie's pad, off the post, or wide. He also still didn't show a ton of vision. Even the chances he was creating for other players this preseason was mostly a result of him taking it to the net. To really become and NHL player, he's going to need to improve on that aspect of his game as well.
Not arguing your point that Goat could improve his game some, as any young rookie could. I'm just thinking, I hope Necas doesn't sit back on his game after making the team either, since he never did play with his hair on fire in preseason. That worried me a little as I watched.
I'm glad we have two very talented rookies to argue over. It's a good and new problem to have for this team. I'm sure Goat will see his share of time in the big club this year, as Rod has mentioned his play numerous times. You can tell he liked his game and his work ethic. I hope Goat knows that and doesn't take this too hard. Their chances were about even, as I see it. The dice just landed the other way this time. It could change with a bad start from anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad