News Article: News and Note XXVIII: The Jerky Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That article is hilarious. Washington shouldn’t tolerate their guys getting pushed around after the whistle?

When did we become this big bad team?
It's pretty hilarious and ironic considering they basically mug anyone who gets near Holtby after the whistle regardless of whether a Canes player does anything or not.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We're definitely outskating them and on them at every opportunity, but I don't know if it was in their heads or what. There were a few times last night where they did some bizarre dumps or lobs where they actually had some opportunity to do what they do best with their skill and just didn't. A few times I just shook my head in disbelief. Even just the number of times they would clear the zone for us or make a bad entry or pass back in the neutryal zone for no reason and have to circle back because of missing the simplest of passes. I know some of that was probably the environment, and maybe the ice quality, but it was ugly for them even though they woke up more than game 3.

I believe we're switching between forecheck and trap. Sometimes we've got three on the forecheck, sometimes we've got one or even none. They've lost the easy "let's make the breakout" plays they were getting earlier in the year. Forcing guys to think is always a good way to slow them down.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We're definitely outskating them and on them at every opportunity, but I don't know if it was in their heads or what. There were a few times last night where they did some bizarre dumps or lobs where they actually had some opportunity to do what they do best with their skill and just didn't. A few times I just shook my head in disbelief. Even just the number of times they would clear the zone for us or make a bad entry or pass back in the neutryal zone for no reason and have to circle back because of missing the simplest of passes. I know some of that was probably the environment, and maybe the ice quality, but it was ugly for them even though they woke up more than game 3.
It had the looks of a team that was fatigued. They were making some really dumb plays, and it certainly looked like it was because they were gassed. Once you are spent physically, you start making mistakes mentally.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Similarly to some of the lob breakout attempts that i hadn't been seeing earlier in the series, i noticed them utilizing the 1-3-1 significantly in the neutral zone which i hadn't seen the Caps do before. I almost had to stop and make sure John Beilein wasn't behind their bench and that Mike Gansy wasn't suddenly on the wing.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I believe we're switching between forecheck and trap. Sometimes we've got three on the forecheck, sometimes we've got one or even none. They've lost the easy "let's make the breakout" plays they were getting earlier in the year. Forcing guys to think is always a good way to slow them down.

Noticed that last night, it's confusing as shit. Although the "one or none" forechecks tend to be Aho carrying the puck in, dumping it behind the net, then curling out of the zone. Dude is hurt bad.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
That's a good observation. I guess between that and some of the personnel changes we've had, in addition to all the other factors, that would be pretty rough on them.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A Caps fan sitting behind me last night was talking about it to his wife/girlfriend. In the 3rd, he was telling her the Canes forwards just get in on the forecheck and don't stop. They are on the Caps fast and never let up, never giving the Caps time to operate so they just have to fling the puck. He commented about how aggressive the Canes D were in keeping the puck in and intercepting passes in the neutral zone to prevent any flow from the Caps, and whenever they did pinch, a forward was quick to jump out and over the point.

It was a pretty good summation of how the first part of the 3rd period was going. I agree with Hank, that they were switching it up more this game, maybe because they were basically playing 8 forwards all night and had to take a breather every now and then. The defense played fantastic last night though and really made up for the lack of 1 forward.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
A Caps fan sitting behind me last night was talking about it to his wife/girlfriend. In the 3rd, he was telling her the Canes forwards just get in on the forecheck and don't stop. They are on the Caps fast and never let up, never giving the Caps time to operate so they just have to fling the puck. He commented about how aggressive the Canes D were in keeping the puck in and intercepting passes in the neutral zone to prevent any flow from the Caps, and whenever they did pinch, a forward was quick to jump out and over the point.

It was a pretty good summation of how the first part of the 3rd period was going. I agree with Hank, that they were switching it up more this game, maybe because they were basically playing 8 forwards all night and had to take a breather every now and then. The defense played fantastic last night though and really made up for the lack of 1 forward.
The general systems we run really do look like a hybrid of what Lavi/Mo/Peters ran with the dump and chase forecheck, pinching D and high shot totals. For all of Rod's talk about strategy not being very important, he made some pretty big changes to Peters' systems that all seem to be working well.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, I get to watch the Caps a lot, and because of their skill level, they can be pretty nonchalant on those details sometimes. Having the Canes forecheck them like there's no tomorrow is definitely having an impact on that. As a couple spurts in the 1st 2 games and a lot of the 2nd showed last night, the Caps can still turn it up a bit and get around that. But they haven't shown a willingness to consistently do it.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
D5B4A553-6817-45B5-A3DC-01F3664BC6AD.jpeg

Hurricanes follow Ryan Ellis on Twitter.

Reactions: Identity404

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve been a little nervous about a ten million a year contract for him before he started struggling.

He’s very good but there’s a limit in there somewhere. Usually these articles are great for snapping a guy out of their slump so hopefully that’s something.

I’ve been rolling with it being an injury, but there’s been a few stretches this season where he’s not been himself.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Luke DeCock seems to believe Aho is just under performing and isn't injured.
Haven't heard or seen it mentioned but there have been a few times recently where TT took a draw over Aho. Once where Williams did too while not on his strong side. You'd think the lingering injury would be lower body given the angle of the friendly fire collusion but his hands just haven't been there either in a while.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Haven't heard or seen it mentioned but there have been a few times recently where TT took a draw over Aho. Once where Williams did too while not on his strong side. You'd think the lingering injury would be lower body given the angle of the friendly fire collusion but his hands just haven't been there either in a while.

On the radio, there was a comment of: "We've all seen the knee brace on Aho in the locker room" (after the collision with Nino). Not sure if that is still a thing or not though, but it was just last week that they said it on the radio.

I do notice that burst of speed that he seemed to have during the season seems gone right now.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
This. He has been bobbling the puck much more when receiving passes and such than he did earlier in the year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad