News Article: News and Note XXVIII: The Jerky Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, I can see you are having LOADS of fun following hockey. :sarcasm:

I get it though. No doubt fans (of all teams, not just Canes) get over-excited about draft picks and prospects. Frankly, for 1/2 the teams in the league, that's sometimes the only thing to get excited about. Most of us realize that after the first round, the chances of a player even becoming a regular NHLr is pretty slim.
On the main trade board, picks and "top prospects" are worth much more that a 50 point guy or a shut down defenseman.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Plenty of teams have been that talented or more. Being that good of a team is still a special job by the players and coaches. I'd give it to Cooper easily. I do think Brindy deserves considerations for those reasons listed in the tweet. But there are quite a few deserving candidates this year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm the opposite. Trotz has better goaltending and a veteran forward group that doesn't have any real rookies or AHL/NHL tweeners. Canes have the edge on defense, but overall, the Isles have a much deeper forward group IMO. While we're icing guys like McKegg, Foegele, Maenalanen, Wallmark to fill out our bottom 6 - (rookies because we had no choice), they have veteran NHLrs like Komarov, Cizikas, Clutterbuk, Martin and Kuhnhakl (and even Ladd when not injured).

What I give Trotz a lot of credit for though, is getting their talent (particularly their higher end forwards) to buy in to the defensive minded game. I wouldn't argue RBA over Trotz, but I do think that NYI team is deeper at forward than the Canes are.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm the opposite. Trotz has better goaltending and a veteran forward group that doesn't have any real rookies or AHL/NHL tweeners. Canes have the edge on defense, but overall, the Isles have a much deeper forward group IMO. While we're icing guys like McKegg, Foegele, Maenalanen, Wallmark to fill out our bottom 6 - (rookies because we had no choice), they have veteran NHLrs like Komarov, Cizikas, Clutterbuk, Martin and Kuhnhakl (and even Ladd when not injured).

What I give Trotz a lot of credit for though, is getting their talent (particularly their higher end forwards) to buy in to the defensive minded game. I wouldn't argue RBA over Trotz, but I do think that NYI team is deeper at forward than the Canes are.

The Islanders have that veteran 4th line that’s really a 3rd line that just dominates. They will run the Canes 3rd or 4th line off the ice completely.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I like our team on paper more than NYI. For that reason I think Trotz deserve it more than RBA
RBA wouldn't just be about play on the ice, though. He (and Dundon and JWilly) fundamentally changed the culture of the organization and the hockey world itself. Plus they got the results on the ice. That has to factor in.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Really It seems like you just lost out on a job interview or date to Cory or Brett and now are on some hell bent rage after them to prove your superiority. Randomly bringing up tweets from 6 months ago to try and get others to call them idiots or something, then just progressively getting weirder.
job interview....canes country lol. if brett was literally writing for free it would not shock me

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
RBA wouldn't just be about play on the ice, though. He (and Dundon and JWilly) fundamentally changed the culture of the organization and the hockey world itself. Plus they got the results on the ice. That has to factor in.

Trotz took a team that gave up the most goals in the league and turned them into a team that gave up the least. That hasn’t happened in 100 years, back when there were only 6 teams. That’s f***ing bonkers, and that’s a complete 180 in team identity.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

I mean, at the beginning of the year, wouldn’t you have said Mrazek/McElhinney vs Lehner/Greiss was ......... meh? Who wants either?

I think I read somewhere that NYI were 31st in GA last year and now they’re 1st? 2nd? That’s unreal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean, at the beginning of the year, wouldn’t you have said Mrazek/McElhinney vs Lehner/Greiss was ......... meh? Who wants either?

Yeah, and it was even worse when it was Mrazek/Darling.

I think I read somewhere that NYI were 31st in GA last year and now they’re 1st? 2nd? That’s unreal.

Yep...That's what I mean by buy in to that mindset. Weight had them playing run and gun with no structure so to get that team to completely turn it around, gives a lot of credit to Trotz.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Good Luck..................Ya Bunch of Jerks!
Remember it's because of me you're in the Play-Offs this season.

6814-15_8.jpg
Don

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Writer/editor James Mirtle of The Athletic picked the Canes to go to the conference final before being eliminated by the Lightning.

Is that even possible?

Wouldn't the Canes play Tampa automatically next round if both teams won? #1 playing #7? Has it been so long since the Canes made the Playoffs that I don't even know how they work anymore?

(edit: nevermind) Did bracket. Learned how Playoffs work now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad