Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
0721EAEE-9449-444B-A6CB-A753CD1C5DB9.jpeg

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Well said Surrounded By Ahos!
Up here we hardly hear about the 'Canes, Arizona, Dallas, St. Louis and the Cali Teams.
Don Cherry: Is a Master Showman.
I'd say it's 50% Leafs and the rest give or take are the remainder Canadian teams.
Hurricanes are on the edge of having an elite team in the NHL.
You guys have the best HFBoards stuff on this site! :thumbu:

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
What is section 328 like?
I sat there once just by virtue of cheap tickets. It was kind of like a less good version of MST3K. Loud wisecracks with a few chants thrown in. Wasn't really my thing during a game, but they are pretty passionate about the team, and some people are clearly into it, so good stuff I guess. Their podcast is okay every once in a while if you are really jonesing for Canes talk. It can be too homerish and lacking in particularly good analysis or even facts sometimes, but again, they support the team, and provide something that isn't super readily available otherwise.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Carolina Hurricanes Notes — Dougie, Andrei Svechnikov & More

by
Matt Karash | Feb 20, 2019 | Daily Cup of Joe
After a slow start in a Carolina Hurricanes uniform, I really like Hamilton’s game right now. He is a bit of a rover with a risk component to his game, but he participates as a fourth forward on offense as well as any defenseman the Canes have had. What jumps out at me is that Hamilton is not so much the type who only generates offense with the puck on his stick. Much of what Hamilton does is more exploiting open areas on the ice off the rush or in the offensive zone. Though there is some risk in his style of play, his ability to pick spots is generally pretty good.
It has been in an understated way, but I like the way Andrei Svechnikov has been playing the past couple games. He has regularly been trying to beat defenders at the offensive blue line and has had decent success doing so. He also seems to be making necessary adjustments in terms of not lazily using his stick to defend. Svechnikov had 8 minor penalties in 12 games in January. Through 10 games in Febuary, he has only two minor penalties. Throw in an assist in each of the past two games, and one can hope that he is catching his second wind just in time.
After a long layoff with a concussion, Jordan Staal is on the mend. He figures to return in one of the next few games. With the team generally winning, there is no need to upset the apple cart when he returns. I would simply slot Staal in McKegg’s slot and then let him play his way up from there.
Carolina Hurricanes random notes — Dougie Hamilton, Andrei Svechnikov, Justin Williams and Jordan Staal | Canes & Coffee

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I would like to request "stealing" this for my avatar (since my current one is like 50 years old)??
I know it’s been said 10,000 times, but I find it hard to believe a guy who dresses like this thinks the Canes are showboating and are making a joke out of hockey.

Screen_Shot_2017_04_22_at_9.23.50_PM.0.png

980x.jpg

USATSI_4681980-280x400.jpg
It's the ironic gift that keeps on giving...did somebody shoot him in that first suit and he just wore it onto the show? I'm shocked nobody called 911

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm telling yall get ready- he will be playing both special teams and getting 15+ minutes his first game. I'd put money on it
It won't be as big of a deal as previously thought since his worst offensive production is still just as good as Wallmark's best. Wallmark had a decent run when Staal first got hurt but he's reverted back into being a 4th line center. I've actually liked McKegg better as a 4th line center too.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm telling yall get ready- he will be playing both special teams and getting 15+ minutes his first game. I'd put money on it
Well a week ago Rod was bemoaning how difficult it is to do anything without Staal. In the middle of our run? Then said the guys had been doing a good job picking up the slack, but he doesn’t know how we’re doing it. Rolling his eyes like it’s awful without the guy. When we are crushing it without him.

It was nauseating. Just isn’t getting it.

To me it was reminiscent of both the Avs and the Devils last year. Good talent on the first lines but little depth and were expected to suck. They got rid of all the vets, everyone slow and basically replaced them with ahl level talent where they had to - you just had to be able to skate. Between the young talent up top and the quicker legs on the role player lines they were both tough to keep up with despite a lack of talent.

Looked a lot like us the last month. Without Staal and Rask. Staal has a much more profound effect than Rask did. We’ll see if it matters, maybe the goods he grinds will outweigh the bad but just having Wallmark and Martinook moving at a notably faster pace despite a lack of offensive talent made a pretty big difference.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Well a week ago Rod was bemoaning how difficult it is to do anything without Staal. In the middle of our run? Then said the guys had been doing a good job picking up the slack, but he doesn’t know how we’re doing it. Rolling his eyes like it’s awful without the guy. When we are crushing it without him.

It was nauseating. Just isn’t getting it.

To me it was reminiscent of both the Avs and the Devils last year. Good talent on the first lines but little depth and were expected to suck. They got rid of all the vets, everyone slow and basically replaced them with ahl level talent where they had to - you just had to be able to skate. Between the young talent up top and the quicker legs on the role player lines they were both tough to keep up with despite a lack of talent.

Looked a lot like us the last month. Without Staal and Rask. Staal has a much more profound effect than Rask did. We’ll see if it matters, maybe the goods he grinds will outweigh the bad but just having Wallmark and Martinook moving at a notably faster pace despite a lack of offensive talent made a pretty big difference.

I thought I was the only one that thought Staal was slow. I'm not sure why Rod thinks having Staal back is going to magically change anything. Maybe we win more draws, that should help, but in terms of speed we're going to be losing a step. Staal can out skate someone when he wants to but he's not moving like Wallmark and McKegg are. We've got the best record, and most goals per game since Jan. 1, it's not like offense is our issue right now.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't think Jstaalo is particularly slow. He probably covers about the same amount of ground in the same time as Wallmark. It's his lack of offensive skill or instincts that's the issue, not his speed.

I wouldn't hate if he played the wing for a few games to see if his size can be of some more use offensively. It would also help ease him into the lineup a little. Go Svech/Martinook/Staal and see what happens.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I think you gain slightly on offense with Staal, but lose on speed. Not just straight line, but overall I think Wallmark is a speedier center. I agree with Bleed, it makes our lineup faster in general. We'll see if Staal boosts the team in any meaningful way. I just know this team is gelling, and playing well as they are. That can't be denied.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Staal skates like a moose in a mud bog. He can get up to decent speed but there’s no quick changes in direction. He’s a straight line moves decently for a big guy kinda skater. He may chew up as much ground as Wallmark in an end to end battle but in tight spaces Wallmark is far shiftier and generally changes direction much better despite not being particularly graceful himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad