Series Talk: New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils (Rangers 1-0)

Who wins?

• Rangers in 4

• Rangers in 5

• Rangers in 6

• Rangers in 7

• Devils in 4

• Devils in 5

• Devils in 6

• Devils in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Confirmed

D0166B3A-DB12-41FD-942C-15323F619E84.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I’m kind of surprised at how scared some of us are of the Devils. Personally I think NYR in 6 is the safe bet. The Devils have a good fast team that I haven’t seen play real playoff style hockey at all this year. This isn’t the 80’s and they aren’t the Oilers. They are not going to win in the playoffs playing pond hockey like they did all season and they haven’t shown an ability to win playing anything else. This team knows what it has to do to win, they will either do it and win, or they won’t and they will lose. And that goes for any team they would have faced. I think they showed in last season’s playoffs that they will do what they need to. The Devils have showed ZERO. Lets see what they’ve got!

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This was my least preferred matchup all along. I’m trying to get positive on it but I can’t shake the feeling that the Devils are a terrible matchup for us unless we somehow play a tighter and structured game.

I’m not sure if it’s as bad as I’m thinking or if I’ve just built it up way more in my head by not wanting to face then.

Either way, the Rangers are going to need to play tight and structured, trading chances and open hockey vs the Devils has us getting swept. You really need the experience to kick in early and not let the Devils get comfortable and feel good about their game. You want them nervous and off kilter and you can’t do that if you come out slow and disorganized like we do so often. It needs to be playoff level intensity and tightness from puck drop. You can’t concede open ice to Hughes every time he’s out there, like they did every time we saw them this year. You have to close gaps and not let them open it up. I’m nervous for sure.

The positive spin on this series, to me, is that if they do manage to win, they likely won’t be bruised and battered going into the next round. This Devils team is also very wet behind the ears as well, and perhaps the Rangers have “earned” the all too frustrating right to clutch and grab their way to victory as a now playoff seasoned club.

Reactions: bhamill

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’m currently seeing a cardiologist for a potential heart issue. I’m 42 years old, so, old, but not old enough for that. I’m also in pretty good shape so this is all very strange to me.

Having an echocardiogram tomorrow. I am hoping to walk away from that test with the doctors clearance to watch this series. 😀

Also, my phone battery is at 93% FWIW.
Be optimistic. I highly doubt they’ll advise against even watching a sport lol. I have a congenital heart condition and I play hockey in 3 leagues at the same time often playing back to back games an hour apart!

• Love
Reactions: tlk

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I don't anticipate it will happen in game 1 but I'm curious if Gallant will be willing to move one or both of Lafreniere and Kakko up to the ZIbanejad line like he did tonight. It would be nice to have a top line that could at least maintain possession down low and cycle. There's a much better chance of that happening with Kakko rather than Kane.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
I just looked at the Devils' subforum's thread about the series.

Whereas our thread is completely tame, theirs is completely hateful. They're making up fantasies about us saying we're in here hoping for Trouba to "take out their midgets," saying we're calling them shootout warriors, and somehow all of us are morons and fat neckbeards.

New Jersey's got a deep and abiding inferiority complex toward us that goes much further than hockey. I left the NYC area over a decade ago and was hoping that the entire state of NJ would stop acting like our lil bro at some point, but some things just never change. At least they're off the whole trying to claim the Statue of Liberty thing right now, but I'm sure that'll come back eventually. Remember when the Devils were selling Lady Liberty shirts in 07?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Whereas our thread is completely tame, theirs is completely hateful. They're making up fantasies about us saying we're in here hoping for Trouba to "take out their midgets," saying we're calling them shootout warriors, and somehow all of us are morons and fat neckbeards.

New Jersey's got a deep and abiding inferiority complex toward us that goes much further than hockey. I left the NYC area over a decade ago and was hoping that the entire state of NJ would stop acting like our lil bro at some point, but some things just never change. At least they're off the whole trying to claim the Statue of Liberty thing right now, but I'm sure that'll come back eventually. Remember when the Devils were selling Lady Liberty shirts in 07?
That fanbase is a nasty lot. That's what happens when you are the little brother who has won a total of 1 playoff game in a decade.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Start 4th line on Tuesday follow that with the Kids..fore check, pound and grind them. Overuse the 4th line in the first period to establish the hitting which should draw penalties. Use 1st 2 lines for all offensive zone draws. 79 needs to up his physicality. Baby Troubs needs to hit 86 every chance he gets. GG needs to step up and mange matchups . When we are leading we need to think defense and minimize east-west plays. NYR in 6

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK

To be fair...
We got this...not worried at all. Regular season means nothing, wait until Trouba starts planting midgets into the 3rd row.

That being said, a few vocal individuals don't represent the whole fanbase, and that's true about both of our teams. You guys have a really good team, we are very confident in our team, I think it's going to be a fun series! Ok, done being nice. LGD! ;)

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
The only way the Rangers give themselves a chance to win is if Fox plays over half the game.

The other pairs won't be able to exit the zone through a f***ing hangar door against this team's speed.
I'd be surprised if we can even take it to 6. just not a good matchup for us.

Reactions: mas0764
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Putting the Rangers-Devils and Leafs-Lightning on the same night is utterly ridiculous. Those are by far the most marquee series in the first round.
Agreed. They put the three most boring series on Monday. Only interesting one is the Oilers one because of McJesus. Boring by comparison...it's still playoff hockey.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I said it yesterday, the Rangers can’t get into a pond hockey track meet competition. They have to take away the neutral zone to slow the Devils down and they need to keep hitting everyone. Hughes is fragile he’s due for an injury. Hamilton is a giant p***y, Ovechkin exposed him in the playoffs. Keep hitting him to make him f*** up. Rangers need to play a grinding style but I can’t see Gallant making the adjustments.

Hughes is fragile?

Hamilton is a giant p***y?

Rangers aren't a grinding style team. They're not built that way. Nothing to do with the coach.

You're 0 for 3.

Anyway, none of us know how this series will play out, but the Devils will probably be a tougher out next season.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

One poster said both of those things and nobody really responded to it. I'm all for this rivalry but I'd like it to be based off of factual things instead of being outraged that ranger fans poison pigeons in the park.;)

I think the Series is a good one. Both fanbases should be proud that this is the Premier serries in the first round.:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad