Series Talk: New York Rangers vs New Jersey Devils (Rangers 1-0)

Who wins?

• Rangers in 4

• Rangers in 5

• Rangers in 6

• Rangers in 7

• Devils in 4

• Devils in 5

• Devils in 6

• Devils in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Confirmed

D0166B3A-DB12-41FD-942C-15323F619E84.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I said it yesterday, the Rangers can’t get into a pond hockey track meet competition. They have to take away the neutral zone to slow the Devils down and they need to keep hitting everyone. Hughes is fragile he’s due for an injury. Hamilton is a giant p***y, Ovechkin exposed him in the playoffs. Keep hitting him to make him f*** up. Rangers need to play a grinding style but I can’t see Gallant making the adjustments.
This. We won't win by adapting to their style. We have to grind them down, counterattack effectively to score and disincentivize aggressiveness, and capitalize on special teams.

We could win it in five if we stick to the above. More likely, though, we'll try matching their run-and-gun style in the first game, win the next two after adopting the above strategy, and then revert to run-and-gun after losing one game with the revised strategy -- and lose the series. So:

1. Devils win
2. Rangers win
3. Rangers win
4. Devils win
5. Devils win
6. Devils win.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
People who think this is going to be a short series make me laugh. It's going to be tough for both teams. The Rangers are going to take their pound of flesh even if they lose.

Reactions: mike14

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Should be an entertaining series.
We really need our top line to at least break even with theirs and hope our forward depth comes through.
GG also needs to watch the defensive matchups because the 3rd pairing could get overwhelmed quickly

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
How TF did the Wild Card team in the Metro also get the best draw? The same thing happened in 2016 where the Islanders got the Panthers and we got stuck with the eventual Cup winners who hadn't lost a game in the 2nd half of the season by less than 2 goals.
This happened to the Rangers in 2017 when it was known from January that they were going to be WC1 and crossover into the Atlantic vs. an inferior Montreal team.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The matchup I was dreading all season, not just because of the makeup of both teams but losing to this team would be hard to stomach. Probably were going to have to go through them one round or another though so maybe we surprise and make it through.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
This. We won't win by adapting to their style. We have to grind them down, counterattack effectively to score and disincentivize aggressiveness, and capitalize on special teams.

We could win it in five if we stick to the above. More likely, though, we'll try matching their run-and-gun style in the first game, win the next two after adopting the above strategy, and then revert to run-and-gun after losing one game with the revised strategy -- and lose the series. So:

1. Devils win
2. Rangers win
3. Rangers win
4. Devils win
5. Devils win
6. Devils win.
I just can’t see Gallant making the adjustments since he lets the players do what they want. The forwards are also going to have to come back more and help the d in the transition game. We saw it last time we played them, Devils are gonna force us to dump it in.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Not a good matchup at all. The East matchups are all pretty bad, so if the Rangers go on some crazy run, they're going to really earn it kind of like what the Giants did in 2007 and 2011.

I'm just hoping this team stop trying to be pretty and goes into another gear.

Most years I have a feel for a series or the potential outcome for the Rangers. Not since 2014 do I have no idea what to expect. They could be out in five or go all the way.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I find it really hard to feel too scared of a small team with no playoff experience. It's the NHL playoffs, anything can happen, but this is ours to lose.
They are also probably the fastest team in the league facing a team that is slow and worse than that, has a defense that isn't proficient at navigating a hard forecheck. The Rangers are going to have to manage the puck perfectly to win this series.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
The Devils match up fantastically against us. We will need a miracle performance from someone to win.
We need Igor.

I said it yesterday, the Rangers can’t get into a pond hockey track meet competition. They have to take away the neutral zone to slow the Devils down and they need to keep hitting everyone. Hughes is fragile he’s due for an injury. Hamilton is a giant p***y, Ovechkin exposed him in the playoffs. Keep hitting him to make him f*** up. Rangers need to play a grinding style but I can’t see Gallant making the adjustments.
I like our bottom 2 lines in this series.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
This was my least preferred matchup all along. I’m trying to get positive on it but I can’t shake the feeling that the Devils are a terrible matchup for us unless we somehow play a tighter and structured game.

I’m not sure if it’s as bad as I’m thinking or if I’ve just built it up way more in my head by not wanting to face then.

Either way, the Rangers are going to need to play tight and structured, trading chances and open hockey vs the Devils has us getting swept. You really need the experience to kick in early and not let the Devils get comfortable and feel good about their game. You want them nervous and off kilter and you can’t do that if you come out slow and disorganized like we do so often. It needs to be playoff level intensity and tightness from puck drop. You can’t concede open ice to Hughes every time he’s out there, like they did every time we saw them this year. You have to close gaps and not let them open it up. I’m nervous for sure.

Reactions: mas0764

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m currently seeing a cardiologist for a potential heart issue. I’m 42 years old, so, old, but not old enough for that. I’m also in pretty good shape so this is all very strange to me.

Having an echocardiogram tomorrow. I am hoping to walk away from that test with the doctors clearance to watch this series. 😀

Also, my phone battery is at 93% FWIW.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I’m currently seeing a cardiologist for a potential heart issue. I’m 42 years old, so, old, but not old enough for that. I’m also in pretty good shape so this is all very strange to me.

Having an echocardiogram tomorrow. I am hoping to walk away from that test with the doctors clearance to watch this series. 😀

Also, my phone battery is at 93% FWIW.
Good luck. I wish you the best of health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad