New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Sorry I don’t have a chart for it so some may struggle with this point. The correct coach getting through to a player to buy in has transformational positives well after the coach is gone.

and your best example of this is Ilya Kovalchuk 12 years ago? Just a weird thing to bring up.

Take a look at the Leafs' D corps. Take a look at what the Leafs fans have said both in here and on their own board about their defensive zone system.

Also as someone else mentioned, Keefe helped transform Marner into a Selke caliber defensive forward. Auston Matthews is also nominated for that award this year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Guys one more thing I should add onto Keefe.

The PP has stumbled late season and than playoffs, but here is the thing, Leafs have had 4 PP coaches in Keefe's tenure, and Keefe has said he doesn't intefere on special teams. He lets the assistants handle that. I have said this but I think the PP was a core player problem and not actually Keefe.

He's also really good with the media. He'll give detailed answers to questions and not be rude or anything like that.

He also deeply cares for his players. If he feels there was unjustice done to his team, he'll let the refs hear it. I think a young team would like that. Here is a compilation of him being mad

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
There are only a few “hard nosed” coaches left. Many are retired, others are exiled, and Torts still has a job.

If they hire Berube, I won’t be upset. He has a cup under his belt but the Blues’ underlying numbers were trash under him. Plus, they got progressively worse. Was it just lightning in a bottle situation?
i don't know why people are screaming for that hard nosed coaches. is anybody putting in more effort at work, if the boss is constantly screaming around? i have a hard time to believe that the majority of us would react positively in such an environment.

times have changed. the game has changed. the strategies have changed. the players have changed. they grow up under a different setting today than 60 years ago. how can anybody expect you can mix this with a yesterday's coaching approach. the methods of the past aren't the methods of today and the methods of today won't be the methods of tomorrow. fighting against the evolution is a losing game.

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
and your best example of this is Ilya Kovalchuk 12 years ago? Just a weird thing to bring up.

Take a look at the Leafs' D corps. Take a look at what the Leafs fans have said both in here and on their own board about their defensive zone system.

Also as someone else mentioned, Keefe helped transform Marner into a Selke caliber defensive forward. Auston Matthews is also nominated for that award this year.
It's not that weird at all to bring up in a topic about players transforming their games due to the coach. He was one of the best players to ever play here and did the biggest game change we've ever seen. So yea, kinda the best example of "what could happen."

You can disagree with the premise he is putting out, but there really isn't a more extreme example of it happening.

Reactions: Devils Pride 26

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
i don't know why people are screaming for that hard nosed coaches. is anybody putting in more effort at work, if the boss is constantly screaming around? i have a hard time to believe that the majority of us would react positively in such an environment.

times have changed. the game has changed. the strategies have changed. the players have changed. they grow up under a different setting today than 60 years ago. how can anybody expect you can mix this with a yesterday's coaching approach. the methods of the future aren't the methods of today and the methods of today won't be the methods of tomorrow. fighting against the evolution is a losing game.
A lot of players have said they thrived due to coaches like this, and a lot of players have been stunted by the same. It really comes down to the make up of the locker room and how the majority of the team handles it. It's something none of us can speculate on by not knowing any of these players on a personal level. So I wouldn't begin to guess which is best for this team. I get what you are saying with the way the game is going, but I don't think that hard nosed style of coaching is completely dead yet, even if it won't work with the Devils.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
A lot of players have said they thrived due to coaches like this, and a lot of players have been stunted by the same. It really comes down to the make up of the locker room and how the majority of the team handles it. It's something none of us can speculate on by not knowing any of these players on a personal level. So I wouldn't begin to guess which is best for this team. I get what you are saying with the way the game is going, but I don't think that hard nosed style of coaching is completely dead yet, even if it won't work with the Devils.
a good coach needs to have command. 100%.

but you can get buy in and respect by other means. drawing lines and enforcing rules set for the group is needed everywhere. but offering freedom and delegating responsability can coexist with such boundaries.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It's not that weird at all to bring up in a topic about players transforming their games due to the coach. He was one of the best players to ever play here and did the biggest game change we've ever seen. So yea, kinda the best example of "what could happen."

You can disagree with the premise he is putting out, but there really isn't a more extreme example of it happening.
Idk, I think he remained an all offense no defense player but with some PKing. That’s not a knock against him, he was electric. But it’s not like he turned into a Parise level two way player.

1715456600681.jpeg

IMG_1837.jpeg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yet in the 2012 playoffs he wins game 6 ecf at the garden by buying in and being an excellent f1 in the corner. That’s how you play the game

He made one nice play. He was never a good F1 and the Devils' best territorial results with Kovalchuk was with Loktionov as F1 on his line.

More to the point, the Devils don't have anyone like Kovalchuk right now - they don't have a player who very obviously is playing suboptimally and can be 'fixed'. Jack makes some mistakes with puck management, he is not standing still in the D zone waiting for the puck, or totally uninterested in forechecking.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
There just isnt a coach who can bring structure defensively without destroying offensive output.

Unless Sullivan // Rod or someone else is made available, Keefe is the slam dunk hire. Im glad we are interviewing and I do expect aa decision to ultimately be made within 10 days or so.

Also I think IF Berube were out top choice this would of been done already. I think there is definitely some reservations that we had with him

Now Keefe is NOT perfect, we know this. But hes the best of what is available and I would welcome him with open arms as the head coach.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Guys one more thing I should add onto Keefe.

The PP has stumbled late season and than playoffs, but here is the thing, Leafs have had 4 PP coaches in Keefe's tenure, and Keefe has said he doesn't intefere on special teams. He lets the assistants handle that. I have said this but I think the PP was a core player problem and not actually Keefe.

He's also really good with the media. He'll give detailed answers to questions and not be rude or anything like that.

He also deeply cares for his players. If he feels there was unjustice done to his team, he'll let the refs hear it. I think a young team would like that. Here is a compilation of him being mad

So... The opposite of Torts?

Reactions: stickty111

Devils Pride 26

BrickCityHockey*****
Jan 12, 2008
NJ
He made one nice play. He was never a good F1 and the Devils' best territorial results with Kovalchuk was with Loktionov as F1 on his line.

More to the point, the Devils don't have anyone like Kovalchuk right now - they don't have a player who very obviously is playing suboptimally and can be 'fixed'. Jack makes some mistakes with puck management, he is not standing still in the D zone waiting for the puck, or totally uninterested in forechecking.
Of course he wasn’t a great f1, that wasn’t his role. But when opportunity presented itself, he got gritty and made a phenomenal hockey play that no one pre 2011 would’ve ever imagined him making. Without Lemaire getting the best out of him, that never happens. It was Game 5 at the garden, obviously - game 6 was at the rock.

Jack is either completely lost or extremely lazy in the neutral zone off the puck. I think his game can be taken to another level, and I want a coach that is going to demand more out of him. I hope that is exactly what Fitz is looking for. I can’t imagine it’s Keefe

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
There just isnt a coach who can bring structure defensively without destroying offensive output
I actually think the opposite, the Devils defensive system hurt their offense last year. It wasted tons of their energy, didn’t get the Devils the puck for that energy, and left them ill setup for the breakout. A few guys who are one man breakout machines hid some of the breakout issue at times.

A defensive system that either conserves energy or wins pucks and has a breakout concept at the end should improve the offense and defense for the Devils.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Of course he wasn’t a great f1, that wasn’t his role. But when opportunity presented itself, he got gritty and made a phenomenal hockey play that no one pre 2011 would’ve ever imagined him making. Without Lemaire getting the best out of him, that never happens. It was Game 5 at the garden, obviously - game 6 was at the rock.

Jack is either completely lost or extremely lazy in the neutral zone off the puck. I think his game can be taken to another level, and I want a coach that is going to demand more out of him. I hope that is exactly what Fitz is looking for. I can’t imagine it’s Keefe

Auston Matthews is a Selke finalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad