Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at New York Islanders - February 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I hate losing, especially to them. I have no desire to see us get worse. We don't need to get worse to get better.
4 points outside the playoffs with lots of our best players to come back. I disagree with the direction we seem to be going in. The coach should have gone, instead I fear that the season is going to be sacrificed to move up 5 places in the draft and to swap good current players for potentially good future ones. Too risky for my liking. For every Pittsburgh (and let's not forget just how bad they had to be) there are a couple of Buffalos or Arizonas. Of the bottom 5 teams in the league atm, 4 of them have been pretty crap for a good while.
I despise this argument. We have nothing in common with the Buffalos and Arizonas of the world. We are a big market team that can attract free agents. We have also been one of the best teams in the league at drafting good complimentary players. What we lack is elite talent for them to compliment. Most of the elite talent in the league is obtained with lottery picks.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
You'd be saying Hank played literally the best game in the history of hockey if he had a 50 save shutout regardless of how it happened. Halak made plenty of big saves.

Did you even watch the game?

Hank himself during the post game just now even said "Even though we had 50 shots, it never really felt like we have many opportunities to score"

He had the best view of that trash we just witnessed. Easy game for Halak.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro

giphy.gif

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
The one thing I'm worried about is if they plan on building around Lundqvist again. Building around ANY goaltender, whomever it may be, I don't care if the best goalie in history is on your team you don't build around that. You need a team strong up the middle and a balanced defense.

If they build around Hank they need their heads examined.
I don't think that's the plan. They're not building their new core around a 36 year old Lundqvist. Hopefully in 3-4 years we're cup contenders again with Hank hanging around as the #2 mentoring Shestyorkin.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
But here is the difference. The Rangers, unlike all of those teams, will always be an attractive option for UFA's.

The rebuild may not work, but what they're doing right now IS NOT working.

I'd rather go for the option that gives you a 40% chance at success than the one that gives you 0. The 4 point thing is a mirage, they've played like crap for most of the season, that gape will be at least 5 by tomorrow night and thats before getting to the schedule next month. This team is going to get KILLED in March.

It isn't, but the players didn't just go really bad. I think that we need to make changes, (ie, new coach, a big trade etc) a lot, but not tanking.

Probably, but how much is our fate in March down to the fact that the whole organisation seem to have given up.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I didn’t mention anyone by name we’ve been doing it for years. Passing on the more talented players for character first. No wonder we don’t have one elite offensive player
Everyone on this board knows who you're talking about

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It isn't, but the players didn't just go really bad. I think that we need to make changes, (ie, new coach, a big trade etc) a lot, but not tanking.

Probably, but how much is our fate in March down to the fact that the whole organisation seem to have given up.

Maybe they didn't, but what ever the case may be it isn't working here anymore. You can't blame that on the upcoming sell off, this team has been bad for months even when everyone was healthy.

Giving up on this season is the smartest thing this FO could do. This more or less started over the summer when Stepan was traded and an adequate replacement wasn't added.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
But here is the difference. The Rangers, unlike all of those teams, will always be an attractive option for UFA's.

The rebuild may not work, but what they're doing right now IS NOT working.

I'd rather go for the option that gives you a 40% chance at success than the one that gives you 0. The 4 point thing is a mirage, they've played like crap for most of the season, that gape will be at least 5 by tomorrow night and thats before getting to the schedule next month. This team is going to get KILLED in March.

March is going to be a very ugly month for sure. I can't imagine how bad this team is going to be without Nash, Grabner, and possibly MacD and Zucc. Its all about the future and I think this team can be contender again in 2-3 years.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
I don't think that's the plan. They're not building their new core around a 36 year old Lundqvist. Hopefully in 3-4 years we're cup contenders again with Hank hanging around as the #2 mentoring Shestyorkin.

Not at his cap hit. They gotta trade Hank this off season. There's no reason to keep him, other than pleasing some fans, and that's exactly the wrong approach this franchise has taken for the past too many generations. Management needs to stop trying to appease the fans, and instead build a team to win in the future. I have hope that this is the approach they will take.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Not at his cap hit. They gotta trade Hank this off season. There's no reason to keep him, other than pleasing some fans, and that's exactly the wrong approach this franchise has taken for the past too many generations. Management needs to stop trying to appease the fans, and instead build a team to win in the future. I have hope that this is the approach they will take.
There is no market for Lundqvist, and he's got a full NMC regardless.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He won't have that cap hit in 3-4 years.

Hank is here for as long as he wants to be.

Reactions: Krams

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I despise this argument. We have nothing in common with the Buffalos and Arizonas of the world. We are a big market team that can attract free agents. We have also been one of the best teams in the league at drafting good complimentary players. What we lack is elite talent for them to compliment. Most of the elite talent in the league is obtained with lottery picks.

So, what is the plan? Sign big free agents and make a go of it when? Next season after we get the 8th pick or so this year? Or tank for 2, 3 seasons? This is extremely difficult to get right and is massively down to luck.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
From a distance the team is blue and red,
And the road jerseys white.
From a distance the D makes the pass,
And the forwards take to flight.

From a distance, there is harmony,
And it echoes through to Hank.
It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of sense,
It's AV's voice to every man.

From a distance the team has enough,
And no stud D we need.
And there are no Staals, no Zuccs, and no McDs,
No bad Shatty's knee.

From a distance we are four lines strong
Marching in a common band.
Playing on offense, playing on defense.
They're the zones of every man.
Hockey Gods are watching us. Hockey gods are watching us.
Hockey Gods are watching us from a distance.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

His NTC says hello. It’s curious why you’d mention a scenario which won’t ever happen ever.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
One injury is all it takes for a team to need a legit #1 minder. I bet he'll waive his NMC if approached to be moved to a contender.

He’s said it ad nauseum. He’s never leaving. His life is setup here in New York and he’s on record saying he either wins it here in New York or doesn’t at all.

He’s retiring a Ranger and won’t ever wear another sweater. Can we stop talking about this?

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
It's obvious who he was referring to lol.

This isn't a captain problem.

It's a team/coaching thing. The upcoming rebuild is just as much about turning over the locker room vibe as it is the talent.
Not saying it’s a captain problem.. more talking about a topic from GDT

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That was putrid. Easy game for Halak. I know 50 saves.....but so many of them perimeter shots that he had clear sight of. It's not so much that they were making an awful mistakes all over the place but it was like watching a boxer against his sparring partner. Our level of compete was pretty damn low. That said these days--you win--great--you lose--silver lining--better draft position. 5 more games until the deadline. We seriously need to move Nash. I like Michael Grabner but we seriously need to move him too. Hanging on to UFA's would be idiotic. I move Zucc and McD if the deals are good. If I don't think they're good enough---I don't move them.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
So, what is the plan? Sign big free agents and make a go of it when? Next season after we get the 8th pick or so this year? Or tank for 2, 3 seasons? This is extremely difficult to get right and is massively down to luck.
No, the plan is to build a new core through the draft and supplement them with smart trades and the right free agents. Would you prefer to continue kicking the can with this core when they have proven that they can't get the job done?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
That was putrid. Easy game for Halak. I know 50 saves.....but so many of them perimeter shots that he had clear sight of. It's not so much that they were making an awful mistakes all over the place but it was like watching a boxer against his sparring partner. Our level of compete was pretty damn low. That said these days--you win--great--you lose--silver lining--better draft position. 5 more games until the deadline. We seriously need to move Nash. I like Michael Grabner but we seriously need to move him too. Hanging on to UFA's would be idiotic. I move Zucc and McD if the deals are good. If I don't think they're good enough---I don't move them.

I'd be shocked if either of Grabner or Nash are on the team after the deadline. I think it's pretty clear by this point they're gone. I'd even say Holden is pretty much a goner too. Team publicly came out and confirmed all the rumors pretty much and the team is for all intents and purposes finished when it comes to the playoff race when you factor in their injuries and the number of teams they'd have to outplay. Now whether Zucc and McD get dealt is another story but it would be downright shocking if the UFA's are still on this team post deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce