Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at New York Islanders - February 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This is one of those that AV would say 'I thought we played well. We had lots of good looks'.

I don't know. About half way through the second period I had this intuiton that we were going to get shut out. Now Desharnais did kick one in but that feeling never left me. I think Halak played well but IMO he was far from outstanding. I don't think the shots he faced were for the most part all that difficult. He got lucky on a shot off the post by Skjei in first. He had a couple that almost slithered between his legs. A lot of the Rangers shots seemed to be coming off the boards.

It just wasn't a good game to me apart from the fact that we kept some of the numbskull mistakes down.

Thematically, I have no problem with point shots. It's the way we have to play. A simple and foundational game. Get the fundamentals down for these kids. Worry about razzle dazzle later.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
If we are going to suck next year, can we please suck so much that we land Jack Hughes?

If the cigar smoking clown is still sitting at our draft table, he'll pick Howard Hughes instead. Sather needs to go.

Reactions: bl02

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Did you even watch the game?

Hank himself during the post game just now even said "Even though we had 50 shots, it never really felt like we have many opportunities to score"

He had the best view of that trash we just witnessed. Easy game for Halak.

Sometimes your bias is so over the top it's cringe-worthy.

Reactions: shinchanyo

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
He’s said it ad nauseum. He’s never leaving. His life is setup here in New York and he’s on record saying he either wins it here in New York or doesn’t at all.

He’s retiring a Ranger and won’t ever wear another sweater. Can we stop talking about this?

If it bothers you, you don't have to read. Just scroll past. It's an open forum for discussion, I think? Shutting down a discussion because YOU don't like it? Weird. I know what he SAID. Things change, and I hope they do. I like Hank, but it's a waste to keep him here. Gonna just keep him til his contract expires and get nothing in return? Why? I'd ask him to waive the NTC so we can truly rebuild. Keeping a fan favorite if he doesn't fit into the long term plan doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
No, a million times no!

I love writing song parodies, and actual songs as much as the next person, but Bette Midler on a hockey board? God, NO!

Too bad George Costanza didn't kill her playing softball.

You can blame @Capt McDonut. It was his inspiration in the GDT:

"From every angle and every distance = we’ve taken a bunch of awful shots"

I could have gone with Wilson Phillips. "Hold on for one more day...."

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
. I wonder what group of Rangers this "era" will be compared to in the future? Maybe some of the good Rangers teams of the 70's that came close, but never close enough? Hard for me to say, that was a little before my time.

They'll be up there with the Ratelle-era Rangers, for sure. Great team that ran into better teams every time they looked like they had it put together.

Another good (recent) comparison would be the early-mid 2000's Senators.

It's tough since both the above comparables had certified stars where our success was mostly a group effort, outside of Hank.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
If it bothers you, you don't have to read. Just scroll past. It's an open forum for discussion, I think? Shutting down a discussion because YOU don't like it? Weird. I know what he SAID. Things change, and I hope they do. I like Hank, but it's a waste to keep him here. Gonna just keep him til his contract expires and get nothing in return? Why? I'd ask him to waive the NTC so we can truly rebuild. Keeping a fan favorite if he doesn't fit into the long term plan doesn't make sense to me.

I assumed you never read or heard him say that he's never going to leave. I also assumed you didn't realize he has a full NTC, and wouldn't ever waive that for the organization even if they wanted him too based on the reasons he's stated regarding his life, family & business interests.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
They'll be up there with the Ratelle-era Rangers, for sure. Great team that ran into better teams every time they looked like they had it put together.

And ironically, the last game the Rangers play before the Trade Deadline is the night they retire Ratelle's number...

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I know what he SAID. Things change, and I hope they do. I like Hank, but it's a waste to keep him here. Gonna just keep him til his contract expires and get nothing in return? Why? I'd ask him to waive the NTC so we can truly rebuild. Keeping a fan favorite if he doesn't fit into the long term plan doesn't make sense to me.

Even if Hank waived his NTC, what team is going to take on an 8.5 E6 $ AAV cap hit? I mean, MAYBE it happens in the off-season when it's possible a team has the cap space, or more possibly in the last season of his contract... But I just don't think today's NHL makes this kind of trade possible unless we take back similar money...

We can speculate what Hank is worth on an open trade market, but a team's cap situation really dictate what he's worth. And it's very possible that other GM's will simply flip the bird at the Rangers, because they may want to see the Rangers tied-up by the salary cap... The best trades might be the ones your competition can't make...

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
I assumed you never read or heard him say that he's never going to leave. I also assumed you didn't realize he has a full NTC, and wouldn't ever waive that for the organization even if they wanted him too based on the reasons he's stated regarding his life, family & business interests.

You assume a lot. Like I stated in my post, I know what he said.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Even if Hank waived his NTC, what team is going to take on an 8.5 E6 $ AAV cap hit? I mean, MAYBE it happens in the off-season when it's possible a team has the cap space, or more possibly in the last season of his contract... But I just don't think today's NHL makes this kind of trade possible unless we take back similar money...

We can speculate what Hank is worth on an open trade market, but a team's cap situation really dictate what he's worth. And it's very possible that other GM's will simply flip the bird at the Rangers, because they may want to see the Rangers tied-up by the salary cap... The best trades might be the ones your competition can't make...

Absolutely. It's also possible that a team thinks they need a guy like Hank to win a Cup. It's also possible that the Rangers eat short-term salary to help a team clear. And a Hank trade is definitely an off-season thing.....agreed that it's almost impossible to pull it off during the season when cap space is limited.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island

hank for mcdavid, problem solved

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is one of those that AV would say 'I thought we played well. We had lots of good looks'.

I don't know. About half way through the second period I had this intuiton that we were going to get shut out. Now Desharnais did kick one in but that feeling never left me. I think Halak played well but IMO he was far from outstanding. I don't think the shots he faced were for the most part all that difficult. He got lucky on a shot off the post by Skjei in first. He had a couple that almost slithered between his legs. A lot of the Rangers shots seemed to be coming off the boards.

It just wasn't a good game to me apart from the fact that we kept some of the numbskull mistakes down.

No, AV says that when we have 12 shots and the other team has 74.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Didn't post but last night's game was upsetting. No life. I went to sleep pissed off. I know it's a sell off but still, no passion and the weakest 50 shots I've ever seen.

Some guys on this team I'm done with; Zuc, Nash, DD...I won't be upset when they're traded.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
From a distance the team is blue and red,
And the road jerseys white.
From a distance the D makes the pass,
And the forwards take to flight.

From a distance, there is harmony,
And it echoes through to Hank.
It's the voice of hope, it's the voice of sense,
It's AV's voice to every man.

From a distance the team has enough,
And no stud D we need.
And there are no Staals, no Zuccs, and no McDs,
No bad Shatty's knee.

From a distance we are four lines strong
Marching in a common band.
Playing on offense, playing on defense.
They're the zones of every man.
Hockey Gods are watching us. Hockey gods are watching us.
Hockey Gods are watching us from a distance.

Stunning work my man :laugh:

Nearly threw up at the bolded right enough.

Reactions: will1066

Deleted member 23124

By building a team with players that are not household names? No, I don't think that most fans will be happy. Not UNTIL they start winning.
Building a team that's winning is also what the fans want-- certainly sounds like appeasement to me.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->